Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2023, 12:35 AM   #1
jcotton42
jcotton42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Supplemental fonts not working as expected

I've been reading a lot of fanfic on my Clara HD, and some authors will use "zalgo text" for spooky dialog, but it doesn't render right on my device. Typically I use Palatino as my reading font, but the rendering is an absolute mess despite having Noto Serif set as a supplemental font (see the first attachment). When I set my reading font to Noto Serif it renders just fine (see the second attachment). For reference the third attachment is how it looks in Firefox (original work is at https://archiveofourown.org/works/28092402).

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palatino + noto supplemental.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	200623   Click image for larger version

Name:	noto.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	200624   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox.png
Views:	140
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	200625  

Last edited by jcotton42; 03-26-2023 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Files didn't attach first time
jcotton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:20 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be that your main font has these characters but that they are blank. What us your main font? I suggest trying another font such as Georgia and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:29 PM   #3
jcotton42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It could be that your main font has these characters but that they are blank. What us your main font? I suggest trying another font such as Georgia and see what happens.
The font I use is Palatino, which iirc I ripped out of a Kindle Voyage update image then sideloaded onto my Kobo.

As for using a font like Georgia, same result unfortunately. I tried both Georgia and Gil Sans, and as you can see in the attached images it didn't work any better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgia.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	200641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gil Sans.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	200642  
Old 03-26-2023, 06:03 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
How are you embedding "zalgo text" in your fanfic to allow your epubs to access it? As far as I am aware, zalgo text is generated by munging characters and multiple diacritical marks together and requires a Unicode font that supports all the needed glyphs and is not an actual font that can be downloaded or embedded. Those blank blocks are generally the result of a glyph that is not defined in the font you are using to display the text.

You might want to try installing the code2000 font on your Kobo and selecting it as the document font.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:15 PM   #5
jcotton42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How are you embedding "zalgo text" in your fanfic to allow your epubs to access it? As far as I am aware, zalgo text is generated by munging characters and multiple diacritical marks together and requires a Unicode font that supports all the needed glyphs and is not an actual font that can be downloaded or embedded. Those blank blocks are generally the result of a glyph that is not defined in the font you are using to display the text.

You might want to try installing the code2000 font on your Kobo and selecting it as the document font.
The epub is assembled by FanFicFare.

As for using an alternate document font, I did do that. As shown in the first post it renders correctly when using Noto Serif as the document font. But I don't really like how Noto Serif looks, I much prefer Palatino, so I have Palatino set as the document font, and Noto Serif as a supplemental font, but it still renders incorrectly. That's where my confusion is from.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:32 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcotton42 View Post
The epub is assembled by FanFicFare.

As for using an alternate document font, I did do that. As shown in the first post it renders correctly when using Noto Serif as the document font. But I don't really like how Noto Serif looks, I much prefer Palatino, so I have Palatino set as the document font, and Noto Serif as a supplemental font, but it still renders incorrectly. That's where my confusion is from.
Are you sending the book to your Kobo as a kepub? I don't think the RMSDK renderer used to epub supports using the secondary font.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #7
jcotton42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you sending the book to your Kobo as a kepub? I don't think the RMSDK renderer used to epub supports using the secondary font.
I'm using kepbus, via the KoboTouch Extended driver.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:02 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
This is another example of how being too fancy in ebook creation limits use. Also periodically over last 100 years some authors have used a special font for dialogue of certain characters. It's always been a failure. It reduces readability and only works well on paper.

If I was wanting to read this I'd edit it to make it more plain.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 03:55 AM   #9
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo: Mini, Libra 2
I have a similar issue (Libra 2 with 4.38.21908) with kepub books that contain some pali or sanskrit words with diacritics. Noto Serif Devanagari is forced as supplemental font (needs to be downloaded from Kobo) even though it doesn't have all of the glyphs needed. This happens even if the selected side-loaded reading font or the publisher font included in the book does have all the glyphs needed (and the words with diacritics are shown correctly without the need for a supplemental font)

Several issues with that:
1) An annoying pop-up "Noto Serif Devanagari has been turned on as a supplemental font for this book" pops up not just the first time the book is opened, but also sometimes (not always) when the book is opened again although the supplemental font has already been turned on before.
2) The Noto Serif Devanagari font doesn't make sense as supplemental font because it doesn't have the glyphs needed
3) Setting another supplemental font (side-loaded) instead that does have all the glyphs needed doesn't have any effect. (But this font does show all the glyphs correctly when selecting it as the reading font).

It seems that the supplemental font feature doesn't work at all and just creates problems with annoying pop-ups.

Has anyone come across a book where this supplemental font feature actually works? Is there any workaround to get rid of the anyoing pop-up or to disable the whole supplemental font feature (other than using epub instead of kepub)?
ams is offline   Reply With Quote