Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Stanza

Hello fellow ebookworms. My first post.

I am having a problem with Stanza on my iphone 3GS. With some ebooks, stanza cuts off the last one or two lines on the page. Fiddling with settings doesn't help, unfortunately.
There was an old thread where someone said this was happening, and the suggestion was that when a chapter begins with an image, it kind of pushes the bottom line off the screen, but there was no resolution suggested for the problem. Has anyone out there come across this and figured out a fix / workaround please?
I am running stanza 3.0.3 on a jailbroken iphone 3GS, 3.1.2

Thanks!
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifec View Post

I am having a problem with Stanza on my iphone 3GS. With some ebooks, stanza cuts off the last one or two lines on the page. Fiddling with settings doesn't help, unfortunately.
There was an old thread where someone said this was happening, and the suggestion was that when a chapter begins with an image, it kind of pushes the bottom line off the screen, but there was no resolution suggested for the problem. Has anyone out there come across this and figured out a fix / workaround please?

Thanks!
I've seen this on iBooks when the line spacing was set in the paragraph style. As you change the font size the lines merge - and unles you set the font small it tends to cut off the top and bottom lines for some reason.

NOt sure if it's the same thing, but may be worth a look

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
midlifec, are these converted epubs by Calibre? If so, what where your settings for Output Profile? I usually use Sony or iPad profiles and both work fine for the Touch. If they are not Calibre converted, then you might want to first try running them through Calibre with one of those profiles and see if it helps.

I have come across this issue with epubs in Stanza on the Touch with maybe 10% of epubs that I have run through Calibre. The problem is in the specifications in the css stylesheet within the epub, and that is the responsibility of the person who created the epub. To fix it, you simply have to make a small edit to the stylesheet. Usually just decreasing the top margin (or top padding) of the "div" style governing the chapter fixes it. The value may be something like 4em and decreasing it to 2em or 1em usually fixes this margin issue.

Editing stylesheets is not fun to do but once you get the hang of it, it becomes much easier. If you don't want to go there, then the only other suggestion I have is to try adjusting the bottom margin to something larger in the conversion settings of Calibre. I've never tried adjusting margins there, but it may work for this issue. I don't consider that as good a solution as adjusting the stylesheet, but it may be sufficient for your needs.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:

Thanks!
I had this issue with books in eReader format and fixed it by slightly adjusting the margins. Did you try that. I had to make them slightly smaller and it stopped cutting off the last line.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Thanks!
I have had that problem with one book I bought, and I just couldn't get it to work, so gave up and read it in Txtr instead. there it worked fine.

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Thank you for replies. I shall have a bit of fiddle with the settings and see how I do.
One question to PatNY - how do you get at the stylesheets? Your reply sounds eminently sensible, but I'm not sure what a stylesheet is!
Cheers
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
midlifec, a stylesheet is what the various html files in an epub will refer back to for determining formatting and style. It is usually called stylesheet.css but sometimes it will have another name. But it will always have the css file extension.

There are various free ways to get at the stylesheet to edit it. None of them are ideal. You can use Sigil, but that sometimes messes up an existing TOC and some text formatting. You can use tweakepub from Atlantis but it has a very small and limiting GUI interface. However, if all you want to do is tweak the css, then that is what I recommend for you.

You can also simply unzip the epub and open up the css in a text editor. Or, you can use pdfxml inspector, which is what I use most often as it also lets me delete pages in a book and make other edits.

I read that Calibre will be adding some epub editing functions in the near future, so I hope that will allow me to do away with some of the other editing tools I have been using. Right now I use Calibre for managing all my ebooks and it is an awesome piece of software.

Anyway, before editing the stylesheet, look at the html file for the chapter or part of the book that is being cut off on the bottom. Then look for a "div" class style that is governing that page/section. It will say something like div class="calibre10"

Then you just go look up calibre 10 in the stylesheet and change the margin settings. It will probably say margin-top: 4em or something like that. Meanwhile the margin-bottom will have a 0 or small value. Just reduce the margin-top value to something like 1 or 2 and that usually fixes it.

Always make a backup of your epub before attempting to edit it as things can easily go wrong.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote