Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
How to read DRM books via Calibre?

Hi, I am migrating from a Sony to a Kindle and have moved my books from the Sony Library on my Mac to Calibre (brilliant). However, Calibre does not allow me to view the DRM protected books. I read somewhere that these should automatically open via ADE (or even the Sony Library both of which are still on my Mac) but this is not the case. Any advice gratefully received
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
You won't be able to open them in Calibre unless you remove the DRM, which we're not allowed to discuss on these forums. Do a Google search.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Apprentice Alf's Blog provides a good summary of the state of the art in DRM removal.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
gdaydigger

But surely there must be a way for Calibre to link to ADE/Sony Library so that the books can be viewed on the Mac through either of these two applications (without having to go through the hassle of DRM stripping) ?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Calibre will not open or read DRM'd books. Period.

If you don't believe it, go to the Calibre forum here at MR and ask Kovid. He is the developer of Calibre and answers questions there all the time.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
gdaydigger

Ok, I believe you! How would you recommend I open DRM books on my Mac (purchased through Kobo etc) given that I am in the process of moving from Sony to a Kindle and want to minimise the number of duplicate storage folders on my computer?

Many thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
gdaydigger - if ADE is already on your Mac and your Mac has been authorised in ADE, then the drm protected books should open in ADE.

When you say you moved the books to Calibre, do you mean you moved the actual epub files or just the acsm files? The acsm is the book file pre-authorising by ADE, once a book with drm has been authorised by ADE on your computer (done automatically within Sony Library in the current verion) an epub file is created.

Try finding an epub file on your Mac, go to Get Info and set it to open with Digital Editions and see if it will open. If not, then within Digital Editions authorise your computer and try again.

However, and it is a big however, even if you get the book to open on your Mac, it will not work on a Kindle. Your books will almost certainly be in the epub format, which the Kindle does not read. In order to read an epub on a Kindle you will need to strip the drm and then convert the book to the Mobi format (Calibre can do the second stage, but not the first part).

I hope some of this may help.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Calibre tends to associate itself and its viewer with every conceivable format for what might possibly, maybe be a book. .txt files, for instance. Which can be annoying when you want to edit a config file, say...

Go to Preferences|Interface -- in the lower right corner is a list of formats that Calibre's viewer associates with. Uncheck any that you would like to use another viewer with.

Then, however Macs do it, associate the format with the ADE viewer (system-wide). I expect it has something to do with viewing a file's properties, but I'm not a Mac guy.

Now, whenever you try to view it in Calibre, you should get the ADE viewer. I think.

This all assumes you are just trying to find a way to read your DRM'd book, not disinfect it.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, drm, mac