Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
White Kindle 3 to Australia

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully pre-ordered the White Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi to Australia? I've tried several times now but it keeps giving me the following error message when I check out:

"Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation cannot be shipped to the selected address. A non-US address was selected for this US-only Kindle. For the best wireless coverage and fastest shipping to Australia, please visit the non-US Kindle page and choose the country in which this Kindle will be used."

When I then click on the link for the "non-US Kindle page" it takes me back to the Kindle page which now has a drop-down list of which country I will primarily use the Kindle in. There is also no option to change the colour of the Kindle on this page - only available in graphite on this page

I have tried pre-ordering the white one to my address in South Africa and that works fine. Just not to Australia

I called cs regarding this challenge and they were unable to help me. They said I should order when it has been release... whatever...
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Ok, so I gave in pre-ordered the graphite one. Will have a look at my cousin's white one when I'm back in SA. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed. They are saying that graphite is "the new white"
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I would think that the graphite attracts more heat since it's darker but I could be wrong. Living in Australia and SA I would definitely try to get the white one.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I would think that the graphite attracts more heat since it's darker but I could be wrong. Living in Australia and SA I would definitely try to get the white one.
Spot on!! Exactly one of the reasons I wanted the white one... Then again, I must admit that I never really read outdoors in the sun, only in the shade Trying to convince myself that I've made the right move with the graphite one
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you mostly read in the shade I'm guessing it's less of a problem. That being said I can feel my Kindle getting warmer when I read outside in the sun but than again we get very little strong sun up here in the north so it's never been a problem

I would also think that Amazon tests these things. They wouldn't release the device if it couldn't be used outdoors.

Last edited by thinkpad; 07-31-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
If you mostly read in the shade I'm guessing it's less of a problem. That being said I can feel my Kindle getting warmer when I read outside in the sun but than again we get very little strong sun up here in the north so it's never been a problem

I would also think that Amazon tests these things. They wouldn't release the device if it couldn't be used outdoors.
Yes, I'm sure you guys try sit in the sun as much as possible whilst we try get away from the sun as much as possible - he he
Old 07-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
thinkpad
David

True

I've been on vacation to South Africa and found the weather extremely pleasant compared to what we get here. The nature was also very stunning too bad I didn't have time to do the Garden route but I hiked up the Table mountain in Cape Town.

Australia is on my list of places to see along with New Zealand.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
True

I've been on vacation to South Africa and found the weather extremely pleasant compared to what we get here. The nature was also very stunning too bad I didn't have time to do the Garden route but I hiked up the Table mountain in Cape Town.

Australia is on my list of places to see along with New Zealand.
Aah, glad you liked it here Sounds like you were mainly in the Cape? Hope you made it to a game lodge or to the Kruger Park?

I'm heading to the Gold Coast in Aus for a month (leaving end of Aug). Been to Aus before but this will be my first time on the Gold Coast - heard the weather there is absolutely amazing!!! Can't wait

My mom and sister live in Brisbane so I'm giving my old Kindle (K2i) to my sis and as soon as I receive my new Kindle 3 - hopefully within my first two days there Actually getting my K2i autographed by Jodi Picoult next week (she's in SA at the moment) so my sis will have a pretty schweet Kindle

Wow, sounds like I'm laying out my life story here
Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
Aah, glad you liked it here Sounds like you were mainly in the Cape? Hope you made it to a game lodge or to the Kruger Park?
Cape Town and Durban never made it to any game lodge.

Quote:
I'm heading to the Gold Coast in Aus for a month (leaving end of Aug). Been to Aus before but this will be my first time on the Gold Coast - heard the weather there is absolutely amazing!!! Can't wait
Nice sound like just the place to go to.

Quote:
My mom and sister live in Brisbane so I'm giving my old Kindle (K2i) to my sis and as soon as I receive my new Kindle 3 - hopefully within my first two days there Actually getting my K2i autographed by Jodi Picoult next week (she's in SA at the moment) so my sis will have a pretty schweet Kindle
Haven't read anything by Jodi Picoult any particular book you recommend?
How do you get it autographed?

Quote:
Wow, sounds like I'm laying out my life story here
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Ha ha I'm having her autograph the back, just below the Kindle logo. I see that when I hold it that's an area I tend not too touch. (Also getting her to autograph a "real" book too).

Took me forever to decided to read one of her books. I heard from so many people that she's an amazing author but I always though "Jodi Picoult? Those are chick books!! I'm a guy - can't read that!" Anyways, can't remember why, but I decided to read one of her books - first read "My Sister's Keeper" (actually just before the movie was released) and was blown away with it!!!! Such a good book!! I've now read 5 of her books already

If I had to suggest a book, maybe "My Sister's Keeper" or "Handle With Care"
Old 07-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Ha ha I'm having her autograph the back, just below the Kindle logo. I see that when I hold it that's an area I tend not too touch. (Also getting her to autograph a "real" book too).
I'm guessing your sister is going to be pretty happy, not too bad to upgrade to a K3 either, I know I wouldn't complain.

Quote:
If I had to suggest a book, maybe "My Sister's Keeper" or "Handle With Care"
Good too know I'll add them to my TBR.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Yip, she's just as excited to get my K2 as I am to get my new K3 And having autographed one by Jodi Picoult is pretty unique

Cool, add one of her books to your wish list Don't think you'll be disappointed...
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
I have a friend of mine that ordered it yesterday!
Which one? The white one?
And where to? Australia?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Ok, so I gave in pre-ordered the graphite one. Will have a look at my cousin's white one when I'm back in SA. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed. They are saying that graphite is "the new white"
Keep trying to order the White one. You have until August 26th to cancel the graphite if you can order the white casing.

I loved my visit to Australia. We only got to see Sydney and Melbourne, and we were pretty limited in what we could see with the time we had, but it was a wonderful time.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Why? Most homes in Australia have some form of air conditioning and I would never read outside during the heat of the day and in full sun during summer. Not a good thing to do.

I do find it odd though that you can only order one colour if you live outside the US. Most bizarre.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote