Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #106
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMan52 View Post
Now things are getting scary for sure.
K-mart is selling the open box units for $65 each; yes the sales slip still gives you the return policy (Thank you K-mart). The Miami area stores have over 15 returns availabel, after my own experiences and reading this group I can see why they are being returned the word from one of the managers was that the returns where to be sent back the new orders are “sell them as Open Box”.
Interesting thing is all of the locked topics on the Augen support site and t I applied for membership in the Augen run forum last Friday and I am still in pending approval status I guess they are working like “banshees” or “Mark” is reading at least this forum and if you say anything that is not “positive” No approval.
This can be a Nice Unit when they get their act together and put it out for real.
A interesting comment from one of the Linux gurus that picked up one of the open box units ($65), this after he played around with the unofficial update software as his “open door” his comment are that he was able to see a whole bunch of interesting things inside the box, the (WiFi) web browsers (extremely slow) issues are mainly caused by low buffer memory and video allocation possibly caused by trying to keep maximum memory available for book storage and that many of the apps look like englisfied china mobile phone apps which accounts for the striped down interface/functionality.
I sure hope that Augen gets things moving and fast on clearing up the user issues or else we will be facing an “orphan” system and go on to the Novotel.
Well that's interesting. Even if Augen doesn't issue a second update to restore the proper function to the accelerometer, I still consider the TB to be a decent e-book reader. At $65, it's a steal.

I'm no programmer, but I've been all over the Ingenic ftp site, which is a treasure trove of information and source code for the JZ4755 chip that powers "The Book". There is so much potential there. It's too bad Augen doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

"Marktech" is spectacularly slow about approving forum members, so don't take it personally. I was in limbo for almost a week before I got the go-ahead. Come to think of it, "Mark" is not responding to service tickets either since last week. Perhaps Mark/marktech is on vacation or concentrating all his efforts on the Augen android tablet. I'll probably call the customer service line one more time before I fax a complaint to the CEO of Augen.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #107
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
<snip>
Interesting thing is all of the locked topics on the Augen support site and t I applied for membership in the Augen run forum last Friday and I am still in pending approval status I guess they are working like “banshees” or “Mark” is reading at least this forum and if you say anything that is not “positive” No approval.
This can be a Nice Unit when they get their act together and put it out for real.
<snip>
Hi RadioMan52, et al,

I too, applied for membership at the Augen forum a week or so ago. Not without reservations, for I had to give reasons as to why I wanted to join, something I have never had to do on any other forum. And I am still waiting for approval.

Yes, the locked topics are a concern - I can't see why this would be so, unless it is a manpower issue.

From "The Book" manual:

"Our goal is that you will be completely satisfied with this product’s quality and performance... We strive to deliver outstanding customer service that exceeds your expectations..."

They'd best get a wriggle on.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #108
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

I just called Augen Customer Support and spoke to my old buddy "Ari". He tells me that they're waiting for for the update to fix the G-sensor from the "linux people", and that when it comes through, it will be posted on Augen's CS website. No specific date, and apologies for the delay, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #109
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
I just called Augen Customer Support and spoke to my old buddy "Ari". He tells me that they're waiting for for the update to fix the G-sensor from the "linux people", and that when it comes through, it will be posted on Augen's CS website. No specific date, and apologies for the delay, etc.
Just what I suspected outsourced technical operations, and the Florida site is just a marketing front for a china company kind of funny if you think about it.

If "Ari" was a mench then he would have attempted to save face for the company and keep customers happy but I guess its MASADA time at Augen,again!.

Any way, picked up two additional "open box" units $65 each for that price its a STEAL since you can at least use them for basic ebook functions and as talking items at parties.

Yes the ftp site is very interesting and I did find some tools that are letting me into "The Book" I will try to unwrap the enbeded system package this evening.
Regards.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #110
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Alright... Now I'm facinated! First and foremost, Augen better get their act together if they EVER want Kmart to distribute anything for them in the future.

So where are some of these hacking links? I'm not a programmer, but can follow step by step directions.

If the onboard memory was wiped of the excess free ebooks and allocated to keeping one or two "current" books and the rest on SD, how much faster can the Book run?

I sure don't want this thing to orphan out. Decent hardware; LOUSY engineering team!
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #111
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
Quoting myself from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=40475&page=2 (last post on the page):
That thread solidifies my decision to purchase this Augen....Can't wait for Monday for this! LOL. The K-Mart (not too close to my house, but close enough) has 3 of them....they won't hold one, so I'm holding my breath that they won't sell out.

Comic book downloads, here I come! LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #112
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just what I suspected outsourced technical operations, and the Florida site is just a marketing front for a china company kind of funny if you think about it.

If "Ari" was a mench then he would have attempted to save face for the company and keep customers happy but I guess its MASADA time at Augen,again!.
Hi all,

not sure what MASADA means, but the orientation/accelerometer is an embarrassment to Augen, and they deserve criticism for not getting a second patch for it up and running more quickly.

Quote:
Any way, picked up two additional "open box" units $65 each for that price its a STEAL since you can at least use them for basic ebook functions and as talking items at parties.

Yes the ftp site is very interesting and I did find some tools that are letting me into "The Book" I will try to unwrap the enbeded system package this evening.
Regards.
What fascinating parties you must attend/host!

This ftp site and information is very interesting, and I hope some useful stuff can come from it. I think someone mentioned altering the size of the buffer-thingy for the browser to permit faster page rendering. Sounds great to me.

And I hope I haven't incited unrest by quoting from Augen's own documentation, but I do believe that if a company makes statements, they must stand by them.

My TBs are in a warehouse for delivery Monday local time, so then I hope I can make a more substantial contribution to this and other threads.

All the best for the weekend everyone.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #113
rebforever
rebforever began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
I sent a ticket in to Augen yesterday and was answered in less than 24 hours. I asked if they could confirm the release of a firmware update correcting problems such as time, DRM issues, rotation, etc. He didn't mention the details, but...

Mark said, "The update patch will be posted on our website on August 30. Please visit www.augenus.com from time to time to check for the update."
rebforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #114
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi all,

finally got my pair of Augens (reads so much better than "The Books") from KMart. One was new, the other was a return and the turkey who had it first engraved some stuff on the back with what looks like a drill bit.

Anyway, it is hard not to be impressed with the apparent value of the device: it seems solid, and the screen is clear and all the buttons need the same degree of pressure to operate them. The operation is best described as "idiosyncratic" but as a reader it seems quite okay. My wife loves hers already. Loading books is straightforward though slow. All the other issues mentioned here are relevant, but I haven't tried the SD card yet.

Question re the firmware updates: does anyone know if the new firmware will require the previous firmware to be installed first? I guess I'm asking if it is likely to be a patch or a whole new firmware.

My units have the old firmware and will remain like that - the accelerometer issue would be a little too annoying, and given the fix is only days away, I can wait.

Cheers,
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #115
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

finally got my pair of Augens (reads so much better than "The Books") from KMart. One was new, the other was a return and the turkey who had it first engraved some stuff on the back with what looks like a drill bit.

Anyway, it is hard not to be impressed with the apparent value of the device: it seems solid, and the screen is clear and all the buttons need the same degree of pressure to operate them. The operation is best described as "idiosyncratic" but as a reader it seems quite okay. My wife loves hers already. Loading books is straightforward though slow. All the other issues mentioned here are relevant, but I haven't tried the SD card yet.

Question re the firmware updates: does anyone know if the new firmware will require the previous firmware to be installed first? I guess I'm asking if it is likely to be a patch or a whole new firmware.

My units have the old firmware and will remain like that - the accelerometer issue would be a little too annoying, and given the fix is only days away, I can wait.

Cheers,
OK, back in town from a trip to Key West, it was nice!.

Went to the Augen Corporate site while shopping for some new patio furniture and it looks "empty".

Metal Mick, with the "personalized" unit I sure HOPE that they gave you the "Open Box" price ($65)?

On my trip up I95 I stopped at a K-Mart to pick up some refreshments and went to the service desk asking if hey have any returns of the "The Book" they had one and I picked it up (I now have two spares...) first they wanted the full price but I showed them my sales slip from another K-Mart for $65 for the open box and they sold it to me for the same price.

Yes the Unit has value and it is my understanding that group of Linux gurus went to the chips Ingenics china site and downloaded all of the development software and are in the process of "sucking down" the insides, initial comments are that Augen basically used all of the FREE "stock" demo apps (Mplayer being one of them) and they are looking to see if they can inject the more refined versions they will keep me informed since between them they have over 10 of the units.

We will se what Augen comes out with on the 30th of August, if any thing....
The place looks kind of empty.......
OH!
If you want to know about MASADA, just does a web history search; I sure hope that Augen will not make a similar decision!

Radioman52 Over and Out....

Last edited by RadioMan52; 08-26-2010 at 10:57 AM.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #116
kilohertz53
Zealot

The update has been posted on the Augen website:

http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/Updates.html

I'm downloading it right now. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #117
Metal Mick
Addict

Quote:
<snip>

Metal Mick, with the "personalized" unit I sure HOPE that they gave you the "Open Box" price ($65)?

<snip>
Yes the Unit has value and it is my understanding that group of Linux gurus went to the chips Ingenics china site and downloaded all of the development software and are in the process of "sucking down" the insides, initial comments are that Augen basically used all of the FREE "stock" demo apps (Mplayer being one of them) and they are looking to see if they can inject the more refined versions they will keep me informed since between them they have over 10 of the units.

We will se what Augen comes out with on the 30th of August, if any thing....
The place looks kind of empty.......
OH!
If you want to know about MASADA, just does a web history search; I sure hope that Augen will not make a similar decision!

Radioman52 Over and Out....
Hi Radioman52,

I have been in touch with Kmart, and waiting to hear back from them. If I hear nothing over the weekend, I will phone them. What they did was pretty poor.

My wife is still delighted with her TB, and I am quite happy too. Just used the format and lost all my books - I believed I was formatting the SD card... No indication from TB as to what was being formatted. Still, I can copy the free ones across from my wife's unit which saves me a bit of effort, and Calibre will see me through the rest.

The linux people sound very interesting, and it amazes me that they contemplate improvements and feel confident they can do better. Perhaps Augen should commission them to do the work. I did a quick search on the Chinese websites, hoping to find a clone or two of the TB, but no success.

Yes, Augen is doing an outstandingly poor job of supporting its product. In the unlikely event I am ever granted access to their user forum, I will tell them so. I've been waiting weeks for my approval...

Masada - reference to the fortress near Arad?

Anyway, I must be off.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #118
kilohertz53
Zealot

Okay, I applied the new update. The Adobe DRM works like it did after the first (unofficial) update. I tested it on an epub I downloaded from Kobo, and the text is all there. The accelerometer function is restored for e-books in the "My Books" and the "Free eBooks" folders, BUT I have a problem with epubs in the "Digital Editions" folder -- the first page rotates into landscape mode, and all subsequent pages in landscape mode are blank. So landscape mode is still pretty useless for DRM'ed epubs.

Can someone else confirm my findings?

Looks like another round of submitting service tickets to Augen customer support...

(One more thing I should mention: the installation instructions provided are very badly written, and there is no need to do either a "/Restore" or "/Format" after the hard reset. These actions do not change the result of the update. If you choose to do them anyway, make sure you've copied your data (like the free eBooks, for instance) to your computer's hard drive, and be prepared to reauthorize the TB for ADE, and reset your timezone and other preferences.)

Last edited by kilohertz53; 08-27-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #119
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No change on not being able to click hyperlinks in the books, correct?

If so, I think I will pass on this update. DRM doesn't last very long on the books I purchase. I strip it off immediately.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #120
kilohertz53
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
No change on not being able to click hyperlinks in the books, correct?

If so, I think I will pass on this update. DRM doesn't last very long on the books I purchase. I strip it off immediately.
Still no working hyperlinks, just a semi-restored G-sensor.

Tags
the book