Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Smile RC3 available

Just reannouncing to make sure the info gets out of a inconspicuous thread.
RC3 is out. If you had problems with speed of page turning in RC2, this is supposedly fixed.

Get your files at http://updates.irexnet.com/beta/ - the build number is 0629.
If you have any comments, put them in this thread.

Last but not least: kudos to Irex developers, for releasing that. We do appreciate your work.

Changes, as described by Gertjan:
  • Improved zooming (PDF, images):
    - zoom above 400% possible
    - auto zoom to best available factor, fix blank screens
    - reduced memory required while scaling images, fix overruns
  • Fix page flipping speed in reflowed documents (EPUB, PDF)
  • Fix size and position of page and scribbles when switching back to original size (PDF)
  • Fix unexpected failure while generating thumbnails
  • Fix searching for single characters in text files
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Wow, that's good news, thanks to Gertjan and all the iRex developers!

I already downloaded and installed on a DR800S and DR1000S and so far I can confirm page flipping speed has improved in complex PDFs and also in epubs! Some epupbs were really slow in rendering on RC1 and RC2.

Will check further features now...
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
hanche
Enthusiast
hanche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex reader 1000S
But we still cannot merge scribbles, right? Or did I miss something? Unfortunately, this rules out the upgrade for me. Oh well.
hanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Install Mackx's port of Xournal. For acrobat files compatible with PDF1.4 (compatible with ver 5 of the reader), Xournal will merge scribbles just fine. I haven't tried large files with it. Nothing that I know of will convert scribbles written with the Notes utility to pdf though.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded (several times) the rc3 for the 800sg. When I attempt to unzip it I get "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged". I'm using winrar - is there something else I should be using. I unzipped rc2 without problems, but I don't remember if I used winrar or another program. Thanks.

This has been solved. I was in Canada downloading through a campsite when it wouldn't work. Back in the US, the download worked fine. I really appreciate the faster page turns.

Last edited by peaceridge; 07-16-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: problem solved.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded (several times) the rc3 for the 800sg. When I attempt to unzip it I get "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged". I'm using winrar - is there something else I should be using. I unzipped rc2 without problems, but I don't remember if I used winrar or another program. Thanks.
Winrar works fine. Just re-download the file.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
there is still the infamous problem is device being put to sleep. i charged it up , and used the option of turning it off. but after 24 hours the battery went down again to under 50% . it repeated several times. and despite the fact i love the new page turn and load of PDF files , this is really disturbing to see this problem persists. i even don't care a cure , just some workaround that would make sure i have a working device after a day of not using.
any comments highly appreciated
cheers
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
wow that,s a awesome news
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Winrar works fine. Just re-download the file.
Interesting - I just got back into the US from Canada, downloaded it, and no problems at all with winrar! Thanks for confirming the file is good.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
garywitscher
Enthusiast
garywitscher began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
I can't imagine that other users haven't had the issues I'm having with my DR800SG. Perhaps no one is reading pdf magazines? I was excited to see the "fixes" posted for RC3, until I updated and found that none of them applied to my problem. I posted the issue here but since then have done some experimentation and some searching. I have gone through all the update cycles and found that I was wrong about this issue being a RC3 problem. It starts with the first beta release.

I'm convinced at this point that the issue must be with the adobe reader, at least in part. It surfaces when I read pdf magazines and there are embedded images on the page. If I resize the font, the page will take minutes to load and minutes to change pages when using a any v2 update. If I revert to v1 software the resize takes just a few seconds and page turns are the same. However, with v1 software the format of the page with regard to the location of the embedded image and title is lost. The v1 reader merely starts at the first paragraph in the article. The embedded image is displayed later in the text, which is far better than waiting for many minutes as each page loads. Even given that in v2 software the page has more of a article format when it does finally load.

Anyhow, I'm back to using v1 software. It's either that or limit my pdf reading to text only pdfs. Or I could get a magnifying glass to read the tiny pdf font that is used for full page display. I can zoom of course, but that's hardly casual reading, being heavily dependent on the pen for navigation. At least I have a choice, that's something.

Unless, someone out there has a solution to this problem?
garywitscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywitscher View Post
If I resize the font, the page will take minutes to load and minutes to change pages when using a any v2 update. If I revert to v1 software the resize takes just a few seconds and page turns are the same. However, with v1 software the format of the page with regard to the location of the embedded image and title is lost.
We've upgraded Adobe Mobile Reader from 9.0 to 9.1 between DR800S(G) release 1.0 and 2.0. Reflowing generally is much better and we haven't seen any adverse effects regarding to the rendering speed. Can you share a pdf file (over PM is you want) that has this problem?
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
garywitscher
Enthusiast
garywitscher began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
I've attached a copy of the magazine that produces this problem (I don't know what you mean by "over PM"). After you've gotten it I'll remove it.

Goto page 10 (titled "Current_Issue.tar.gz") for a simple example. In "Original Layout" it looks just like the printed magazine page. I like to view it in "Medium". When I switch to Medium in v2 it's a long wait. As are the page turns. In v1 it's comparatively fast (from 2min in v2 to 10 sec in v1). Some articles seem to cause longer delays than others which may be related to the number and size of images I guess. I'd do more testing, but I'd rather just be reading ;-).

Thanks for looking at this.

Last edited by garywitscher; 07-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.
garywitscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywitscher View Post
I've attached a copy of the magazine that produces this problem (I don't know what you mean by "over PM"). After you've gotten it I'll remove it.
With PM I meant the Personal Messages system of this board. But never mind, I've got it, thanks.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
Franky
Nameless Being

the problem of gary looks like the same i have with normal ePub. funny is that when i'm going back to the basic sofware, the slow working is gone. i can then upgrade again with the lastest v2 and it still works great. now and then it slows again, as if his "memory" is filling up. i perform the same trick again by going back to the standard software.

the most funny part of all? i've got 2 identical readers and only 1 is having this problem. the other one is just working perfect without any delay's or getting slow.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
@Franky
What do you mean with "standard software" and "basic software"?
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote