Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
iPad puts my Time Machine WiFi in panics

I've observed a serious problem when I turn on my iPad and do some internet stuff.

After that, I start having serious DHCP problems with my Time Machine Wifi. I use a lot of vmWare virtual machines to work and never had happened until I use the iPad.

After an iPad use, some virtual machines start to complain about IP conflicts...

It seems iPad does not send a "DCHP IP disconnection" (or wahtever command is) when switching off and on swith on it simply tries to use the old IP instead of asking a new one via DHCP...

I know it is the iPad network problem most iPads have, but with at least they must had tested with a Time Machine and it seems they don't. Very poor for Apple.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
same problem Princeton reported moths ago. put your iPad on a static IP and problem solved
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup!!!

I forgot that option!!

Thank you!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

oh and apple has said something about a fix in a future os release, they didn't give a date though.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
A side benefit for me of a using a static router IP is that I use that IP in a QOS rule to prioritize iPad access over other devices that might be in use in my house (xbox, ps3, desktop running utorrent, etc.)
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

makes it easier to do uploads to apps like GoodReader too, especially if you throw it into you local DNS
Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
rfog
Guru

Now I've put a static IP in iPad, the IP conflicts seem solved but still sometimes when activating the iPad the network is not available and I have to go to configuration and activate it automatically. :-(
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

yeah, that's another bug apple has acknowledged. they suggest changing the brightness level in the ipad. i think it occurs if you have it all the way at the left side of the slider. move it up a bit. must be some sort of electrical interference.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Thats good to know, in fact I have given everything on my home network a static IP (What with two Iphones, two PC's, 3KG "Laptop" and soon to be an Ipad as well, they can get confused.

How is this going to effect use in Wifi Hotspots such as Starbucks, Hotels Etc? This is where I intend to use mine the most.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Each network has its own address rules. Your home network can be static and when you hit a hotspot it will grab a dhcp address.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote