Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #46
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Do you think MR authors will opt for the LendMe and Read in Store features?

And I wonder how the authors will be compensated for doing so.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #47
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It looks like authors don't get any compensation for the LendMe feature. The PubIt! T&C didn't mention Read In Store. I didn't see anything to indicate that these were optional for publishers. Compensation and royalties info don't seem to be available yet.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 09-28-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #48
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
[*]Non U.S. citizens can use the service... if they have registered U.S. rights to their material.[/LIST]
How do you register US rights other than by having the (c) statement on the "back" of the title page? Is it $20 to the WGA like is is for screenplays?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #49
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
A U.S. Credit Card & U.S. Bank Account and all related information
Does it have to be your own account? Could I use our daughter's?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #50
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
ITINs, 'international author' status, W38 forms, 30% tax withholding mandated by the IRS... and that's only the extra paperwork I know about.
Amazon and Kobo, can't remember about Smashwords all need those, too. I set in motion the procedure to get an ITIN the other day. I'll report back how easy/hard it proves to be.
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Does it have to be your own account? Could I use our daughter's?
You could probably put the B&N account in her name and use her bank account for transactions (if your daughter doesn't mind!). They'd want her SSN or tax number if you did. Keep in mind: B&N has a proviso that, in the case of refunds, they will take money out of the account to cover their losses.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #52
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's good to see this site is finally up and running. I'm on their e-mail list and I've been waiting, but never heard from them. I'll head over and check it out.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #53
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

In response to an email I sent to B&N, asking about specific payments/royalties numbers or percentages, I was sent a boilerplate email referring me to the main PubIt! page... and not even the new PubIt! page, but the old Coming Soon page. As far as I can determine, the service policy doc is still not coming up when you click on it, and no numbers are available. Color me unimpressed.

Add to this the fact that I'm reading a major publisher's ebook from B&N that has so many formatting errors it's not even funny, and I'm feeling serious misgivings about handing these guys any of my business.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #54
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

Nobody on any of the forums I visit have been able to make it work yet.
Tom Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I almost get the impression they rolled this out as a strategic move during their "buyout" negotiations, with little interest in whether or not it actually, y'know, worked and stuff...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #56
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard one person say he was able to upload his books. I asked him about the royalty (because the "terms" page won't load for me) and he said he thinks it's 65%, but he's not sure. Apparently, the language is a little dense. I'm holding off on this distribution venue for now.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #57
phochman
phochman began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Here's the pricing policy:

http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubi..._payment_terms
phochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #58
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I'd advise him to double-check his output as well. Though I suspect output quality will be better than the OCR'd output from major publishers, he should be sure.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #59
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
In the U.S., works are automatically copyrighted when you publish them. I understand that using the (c) and stating "all rights reserved" is a good idea, but I'm no lawyer so don't take that as a fact. Also, you may want to register the copyright with the U. S. Copyright Office, which you can do online. I believe it costs $35.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #60
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
You can see them appearing now. Huge number of public domain ebooks for free.

Plus a good number of $2.99ers.

I see ISBN numbers starting with 294 instead of 978. Maybe that's them too?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, self-publishing