Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
The Droid X as an E-Reader

Well I finally ordered one. I have to wait till the 3rd of August to get it but it is coming.

I was wondering what everyone's perspective was on the Droid X as an E-Reader.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I like it very much. So far I've put Kindle, Nook, Aldiko, Kobo, FBReader and txtr e-clients on it. Much experimentation to do yet.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

I will definitely be tweaking it with all of the readers available. I can't wait to get it in my greedy little hands!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
My son just picked one up in Philly yesterday, but he doesn't read much apart from college classes. I have the Droid Blur and use it to read for short periods--gives me eye strain for long periods. The Blur is also power hungry, the software buggy and freezes up every day. I do love it otherwise and will put up with the software issues in hope of updates since I like it more than the iphone.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
The 4.3" screen on the Droid X is beautiful. So far it has been very easy on my very old eyes. No strain yet.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Aren't we glad Steve Jobs doesn't control Android? Or we would all be stuck with those miniature 3.5" screens.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
paulckennedy
Addict

Well it works very beautifully as an e-Reader in my opinion so far. What I have been most impressed with are the HDMI, Swype and Google Navigation features. I got it 2 days ago.

As an aside, has anyone figured out how to save your current location in Google Navigation. I got used to that feature with my TomTom but I am lost with this.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'm not sure about the Droid X, but I have been reading on an HTC EVO for a couple of months now. Having used smartphones/pdas to read for the last ten years, I have to report that my experience with the EVO has been most satisfying. The large screen is wonderful.

With virtually identical specs, I'd think the Droid X and EVO would provide equally good experience.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I'm thinking of getting the Droid X, so I went up to the Verizon store today to play around. Downloaded the Nook App, logged into my account, pulled up the book i'm reading.

very very impressed both with the App and the the Droid X especially on that screen. Graphics very similiar to the iPad with the page turning etc.

It would be very enjoyable to read in short spurts or on the go when I don't have my Nook with me.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I'm thinking of getting the Droid X, so I went up to the Verizon store today to play around. Downloaded the Nook App, logged into my account, pulled up the book i'm reading.

very very impressed both with the App and the the Droid X especially on that screen. Graphics very similiar to the iPad with the page turning etc.

It would be very enjoyable to read in short spurts or on the go when I don't have my Nook with me.
Now the phone in the store knows your B&N login credentials!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Now the phone in the store knows your B&N login credentials!

you have to use your user name and password each time, nothing saved.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
droid x