Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Baen Books CD 17

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere recently in the threads I've read, but Baen released another new CD at the end of January. For those who don't know Baen occasionally releases these CDs on certain hardcover books that contain most of the other books in e-book format that the author has written.

The latest CD is Storm from the Shadows, which sadly doesn't have that most recent book, but it does include most of the older David Weber titles.

For those who haven't ever read these before there are some great books there, I know these CD releases got me hooked on some of the authors. Best of all, all of the books have no DRM on them.

You can download the current CD and the old ones for free from http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Last edited by Ajax; 03-08-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Thanks for posting. I have a ton of books from the Baen CDs. I didn't see much here I didn't have but it is always good to get a couple more.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I just finished downloading all those today. It's odd that many of the files are not the same as the ones from the Baen Free Library, even though they're the same book.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I've never noticed the differences, but since seeing your post I checked one of the books I'd purchased against on of the ones on CD, and the one on the CD ends up being 2 pages shorter when opened in mobi-reader. Maybe the versions from the website have more edits added into them, but who knows for sure.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I just finished downloading all those today. It's odd that many of the files are not the same as the ones from the Baen Free Library, even though they're the same book.
The books in on the CD are made with more recent versions of bookmaking software. The mobi books, for example, feature full covers, nice TOCs and have an allaround better look and feel. Much the same for the other formats so it is an amelioration, generally.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, Baen have dramatically improved their Mobi books in the last year or so. Very often, when they re-publish an older book in a monthly "Webscription" release they take the opportunity to improve the formatting of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yeah, I've noticed many of the MOBI files having full covers now. But even some LIT files have variability from what's on the website. No biggie; it seems to be just formatting differences. But I wish they had version numbers.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote