Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
mickid
mickid began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Unhappy Bookdesigner 4.0 on Linux help!

I just received my eb1150 for Xmas &, after trying Librarian, Publisher, & Book Designer, choose Book Designer: Librarian gave me a lot of ? in places that it didn't understand the text, which was annoying to read, I just found Publisher confusing, & Book Designer gave me a lot of control over the text & was easy to use. Well, I ended up switching to Ubuntu a few days ago & am slowly getting either replacements for software or getting my Windows programs running.

When I installed BD under wine, it didn't want to do much at first; it would just say it was "...Loading" and not do anything else. After searching, I found out on a Russian BB that I had to load IE6. I loaded that & could load at least pdf, LIT, & plain text files. Html files, with the exception of the one that comes with it would give me an error that I needed MS Word. I didn't have MS word on XP, so I didn't see why I needed it now. I decided to just open files that weren't pdf or text in Open Office & paste them into a blank Book Designer page & found out that that won't work either. I saved a file as a text & it left 4 B's in front of EVERY paragraph. I decided to use Find/Replace & it just closed down, although, in all honesty, txt files never showed up like that in Book Designer before &, having never needed to use Find/Replace, I don't know if it EVER worked without MS Word. I installed all of the Winetricks fonts & riched files, & it still didn't work. I was searching for a way to maybe install Wordpad, since I did have that on my XP system, to see if that would fix the problem. One of the things I read said it would need files listed in vxrun6 for Winetricks, so installed that & I can now load HTML files but can still not copy & paste into it.

I have the latest Book Designer 4.0 with the 7/30 upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!
mickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I believe that you need to have Word on your computer for BD to work properly.
You don't need to use it; but it needs to be there.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
mickid
mickid began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I believe that you need to have Word on your computer for BD to work properly.
You don't need to use it; but it needs to be there.
I'm pretty sure that that is not the problem since I had been using it for several weeks on Win XP & was able to copy & paste, & I have never installed or used MS Word. Any other ideas?

TIA!
mickid is offline   Reply With Quote