Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
SP?
Good, at least I wasn't the only one.... A bit of googling and I think I know the reference now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressive_Person Though the definition does seem a bit funny. Calling someone anti-social but acknowledging they are social enough to feel the need to suppress others either actively or passively. I think it is one of those definitions that is open to, "We don't like him so he's a SP".

I may read some of his work one day (beyond what I've read from his Scientology works) but don't know, as I too have biased feelings. That all being said I still say it's their business what they want to believe in. Though I may take the occasional pot shot...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #17
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
OH, you so did not say that!!! Take it back!!!!
I do hate to upset a lady but I said waht I said and I'll back it to the death.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I do hate to upset a lady but I said waht I said and I'll back it to the death.
Fine. Just remind me the next time we meet, to smack you upside the head for such a scurrilous remark..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Since we are on the topic of Mr. Hubbard, I came across a site a while ago that sells his books and does performances of his work. They also have audio books. I didn't post anything because they had no eBooks, but I just saw a special offer they had with their newsletter offering a free eBook. So maybe they will start offering eBooks in the future.

http://www.goldenagestories.com/html/optinform.php
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Nope, he's almost as bad as Ray Bradbury.
If Ray Bradbury had written The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe and The Silver Chair, etc...would the series have been called The Nartian Chronicles?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Fine. Just remind me the next time we meet, to smack you upside the head for such a scurrilous remark..
Sure, as long as then you kiss it an d make it better!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #22
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Hide the socks....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Quote:
I want to be there when/if you two meet. It'll be better than going to a comedy club.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

well.......................if you're nice.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #25
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
SP?
"SP" stands for "Suppressive Person" ... which applies to anyone the "church" considers to have a "negative influence." For example, pretty much all psychiatrists are labeled as SPs, because L-Ron really hated that entire category of medicine.

And, with all due respect, once I've decided that I'm not overly fond of a writer's activities and philosophy, I am very reticent to purchase their books, simply because some portion of that purchase price is very likely going to support those activities.

So, since any royalties for Hubbard's prior sci-fi writings are probably funneled into the Scientologists, I will pass on buying those books. Now, if someone wants to give me one to read, I might read it if I get around to it. But ... I do try to keep my money flowing towards those companies and people who at least share a few of my ideals.

Mind you, it's not just the Scientologists .... I also don't read books by Mormon authors, since I disagree with nearly every tenant of that church, and the Mormons tithe a significant amount to their church. And, no, I don't take it to idiotic lengths -- like asking what religion a store owner belongs to before I buy something there -- however, if someone plasters their religious beliefs all over their storefront, I'm out of there about 3 seconds after I walk in the door. That just gives me the creeps.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #26
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
As one of the Ultimate SP's I must strongly encourage not buying anything of L Ron Hubbard's. As Ricky points out, since his death, all income from his production goes directly to an organization that uses a church front to try to destroy psychiatry and treatment of the mentally ill. All tax-free.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
As one of the Ultimate SP's I must strongly encourage not buying anything of L Ron Hubbard's. As Ricky points out, since his death, all income from his production goes directly to an organization that uses a church front to try to destroy psychiatry and treatment of the mentally ill. All tax-free.
But if you buy an old book of his from a used book store, that doesn't happen, does it?

And some of his really older works, before he got crazy en la cabeza, are good.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
But if you buy an old book of his from a used book store, that doesn't happen, does it?

I actually read some of his work prior to becoming an SP. It was okay, but he was no Heinlein.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #29
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:

Nope, though some argue that when you take that off the market then the next person looking would be forced to purchase new... Depends on how deep you want to get with it.. Ever since original Napster debacle I've bought my CD's this way, fleamarkets and such. It's sort of like low-impact consumer advocacy... lol

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #30
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

If you sell it back after you read it, it's like a lending library...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote