Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
White border around my ebook covers

I've just started reading a few ebooks using Digital Editions which so far has worked very well for me. I mostly read stuff I've downloaded from feedbooks but I decided to purchase an ebook just to give it a go, so I purchased Ian Rankins "Doors Open". Now I had no trouble getting hold of the book and reading it, but for some reason, when I view my library, there is a white border round the cover image of the book. The same thing is happening with the other ebook I've got that has a cover image. Is this a problem with Digital Editions?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Probably not. In the ePUB format, the cover image is inserted as a separate xhtml page and there can be many techniques used to position the image on that page. If someone at the production or publishing company decided the CSS or SVG styles should be like that, that is what it will be.

After you have purchased eBooks from other publishers, you will probably notice different strategies, white backgrounds, black backgrounds, no backgrounds, scaling covers, fixed size covers, etc. Image strategies are difficult in resizable, reflowable formats and ePUB is an open standard, subject to interpretation.

When we create ePUBs for ADE and Sony BBeB we use images wrappped in SVG that scale as the ADE interface changes and are optimized in file size for the Sony BBeB, which is more than big enough for on screen viewing.

Hope that helps.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm really not a fan of the whole idea of wrapping an image into a SVG, that's wrapped into an XHTML flow. The cover should be directly in the metadata or in the spine of the OPF without the need for an XHTML flow.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Hadrien,

I dont' disagree with the simple cover approach. The challenge is to control the cover or image size in an elastic reader (such as ADE on the desktop, or rotating display). The problem is that commercial publishers really care about the covers filling the viewport and looking very lovely, and device image resizing is pretty bad with CSS+XHTML in ADE. The SVG wrapper moves the image quality up a long way, especially in fine text detail.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote