Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Looking for ebook reader and MP3 player

Hi,

I'm currently using a Sony PRS 505 for all my ebook reading (I pretty much exclusively read ebooks). Whereas my wife and kids each have a Palm M125 that they use for occasional ebook reading.

My wife wants to get an MP3 player and I thought that a better solution would be to see if we can reasonably get something that will play MP3s and also provide a better reading experience than the Palm M125.

The device won't be used for anything else other than reading and listening to MP3s so any additional functionality is pretty much irrelevant.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

cartz.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
The device won't be used for anything else other than reading and listening to MP3s so any additional functionality is pretty much irrelevant.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Most all of the readers have MP3 players functionality. But, even a $20 MP3 player is going to blow away the MP3 player in any of them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I'm not sure how easy it would be to get music on a Kindle, but I know my mom loves her Kindle for mp3 audio books. I'm not sure how its quality would be for music, but I just thought I'd mention the Kindle because it has strong ebook/mp3 abilities. Might be worth a look.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I have the iPod Touch and I love it. Besides using it to listen to music, it is also excellent for viewing videos. There are reader applications like eReader and Stanza which can be used for eBooks. There are also other applications available for the iPod Touch. It has wifi. Those are the pros in short. The con is that it's a bit on the pricey side.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sansa Express = 16 hours of MP3 play.

Sony Reader = 10 hours of MP3 play (without reading)
(and as mentioned, doesn't sound as good )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may to have 2 different devices just for convenience sake. Someone wants to read, someone else wants to listen to music, there's a tug of war, your combo device breaks, everyone loses. I'll sell you my 6 month old iPod Nano for cheap!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well, If you want a combined device, and don't mind reading on a LCD, then the iPod Touch is probably the best option on the Market. It's easy to use and has a number of reading apps available for it.

If you want to stay out of the apple ecosystem, then you could consider getting one of the Nokia Internet Tablets. The N800, while an older model starts at $200, and you can install a number of apps on it. The disadvantage is that being a linux device, you can't read any protected files on it, and it can be bit geeky.

Personally I'll suggest splitting the two devices, and getting another Prs 505 and a separate MP3 Player.

If that's not an option, and reading is the main priority, the MP3Player on the 505 is basic but usable, and you can always test out the quality and usability on your existing one.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You may to have 2 different devices just for convenience sake. Someone wants to read, someone else wants to listen to music, there's a tug of war, your combo device breaks, everyone loses. I'll sell you my 6 month old iPod Nano for cheap!
Is it a fatty... not the new model? Whats cheap?

BOb
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is it a fatty... not the new model? Whats cheap?

BOb
It's the 4GB Silver fatty and includes 2 cases (one "still in package" aluminum, one leather, both green... hey I'm a girl! ). All this for $90 including shipping in the U.S.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It's the 4GB Silver fatty and includes 2 cases (one "still in package" aluminum, one leather, both green... hey I'm a girl! ). All this for $90 including shipping in the U.S.
Very tempting, I sill owe my wife an anniversary present. The Toshiba MP3 player I bought her is nice, but the battery is constantly dead even after two trips to the repair depot.

BOb
Old 12-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
splashd
splashd began at the beginning.

Device: fbreader
Nokia N800 is excellent MP3 and e-book reader. Really an Internet Tablet with wi-fi, so you also get web browsing and e-mail. And the speakers are pretty good for MP3 if you don't have headphones handy...
just my 2 cents
splashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
channerhewitt
channerhewitt began at the beginning.

Device: none
So did you end up getting one?
channerhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Petest
Petest began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia - mobipocket
No one suggested a pda phone. I've been using windows mobile based pda phones for years, all with touch screens and phone function.
The last 3 I've had have had gps built in as well so they are a true all rounder although the battery life sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.
My current one is a 8gb samsung omnia, plays mp3s, movies, games, gps,connects to tinternet and its a mobile phone.
I renewed my contract and got it free on an 18month contract.
Petest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #14
jakes61
jakes61 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC TytnII
I agree with Petest, I have a HTC TyTN II also windows and multi task very nice on it, even have MS office.
Jacques
jakes61 is offline   Reply With Quote