Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #106
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
this firmware is definitely lagging on the touch... trying to do a reset and reinstall
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #107
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Other than the ugly box being removed from the cover screen, I'm not liking the sound of this new firmware at all. 3 taps to get to the table of contents? 2 is bad enough already. Ridiculous.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #108
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
this firmware is definitely lagging on the touch... trying to do a reset and reinstall
odd as seems to fly on my touch!!!!
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #109
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
odd as seems to fly on my touch!!!!
Actually on the two Touches in my home both work very fast. And its a nice sleep appearance. I would like however to have the option to dismiss the sync tile. Helps to prevent issues with users unfamiliar with technology or rather Technologically challenged.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #110
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I would like however to have the option to dismiss the sync tile. Helps to prevent issues with users unfamiliar with technology or rather Technologically challenged.
I ran into that same issue. Do you use Calibre? The KoboUtilities plugin for Calibre includes options to force-dismiss any tile from the home screen, including the sync tile. Unfortunately "install Calibre and then the KoboUtilities plugin and then go to that plugin's settings and check the "sync" box" is perhaps not the ideal solution for the technologically challenged, but it worked for me and freed up some space for another book tile so I'm good with that.
FaceDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #111
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Even though they removed the reading stats option from within the book (sideloaded kepubs), I went ahead & upgraded from 2.8.1. Wow! It's very snappy!

However, I've noticed that they seem to have removed the ability double tap in the middle of the page to refresh the display.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #112
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
I ran into that same issue. Do you use Calibre? The KoboUtilities plugin for Calibre includes options to force-dismiss any tile from the home screen, including the sync tile. Unfortunately "install Calibre and then the KoboUtilities plugin and then go to that plugin's settings and check the "sync" box" is perhaps not the ideal solution for the technologically challenged, but it worked for me and freed up some space for another book tile so I'm good with that.
I was aware that calibres plugins allow dismissial but it should be a feature not a hack to do it. Though thank you for thevsuggestion:-)

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #113
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
after reset and reinstall it's no more lagging, something goes wrong with the sd card or calibre... it is still a bit slowly respect to 2.10.0 when clicking options in the bottom bar, not so important btw
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #114
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Other than the ugly box being removed from the cover screen, I'm not liking the sound of this new firmware at all. 3 taps to get to the table of contents? 2 is bad enough already. Ridiculous.
The number of taps to display the TOC hasn't changed. The older firmware had:

1. Tap to bring up the menu bars
2. Tap the book icon to display the menu
3. Tap "Table of contents"

Now it is:

1. Tap to bring up the menu bars
2. Tap the double headed arrow to display the navigation bar
3. Tap "Table of contents"

I count three taps for both.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #115
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Hi everyone, I have a Kobo touch. I heard somewhere that sudoku is no longer in the extras menu with the new firmware. Is this true?
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #116
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It is still there. But, the settings menu item that has it has been renamed to "Beta features".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #117
Alphabase
Alphabase is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo aura hd, Kobo Aura One
I updated my aura hd to 3.0. Overall quite happy but it seems that the modification I installed previously that let's you read with white on black by holding the light switch for two seconds no longer works. Has anyone else noticed this?
Alphabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #118
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

odd behavior and possible bug...

Have had a couple of random reboots when placing my touch into sleep mode..

Thought at first was a one off but has now happened 5 times since applying fw3.... and whats more annoying is it deletes the koboreader.cfg file and replaces it with a default one resulting in everything be factory default settings... Now I do have a back up of the file which I tried copying over but thought it does successfully after rebooting it restores default settings!!!!! tried a dozen or more times... Only way to resort settings was to open backup file and file on touch and copy alll info from backup and past over all on touch....... Most annoying.....if it keeps happening will have to go back to 2.10.0
Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #119
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
nicer trick .... works till you sync(I snyc pocket articles) then is back and cannot be removed till you use calibre to force dismiss....
Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #120
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
what's new 1

I just sideloaded the whole of 3.0.0 to the Glo (which I use for such tests), and kept the Aura HD on 2.10.0

The bug of having to tap twice top centre to have the text when first opening a book is still there, but the lengthy turning off into sleep mode unless to a blank page seems corrected.

Dictionaries work differently.
Before, when selecting for instance a word in a German book, its definition (in German) popped up in a small window, and if I wanted a full page, I had to click on the dictionary icon bottom left, then choose dictionary.
If I preferred a translation, I had to
1. select the dictionary icon
2. select translation dictionary
3. grumble when Kobo told me there was no German - French to be had and click top right to get the drop down list
4. select the German - English dictionary
5. et voilà, translation
Now, clicking on the dictionary icon gets the full page definition, and one click on the drop down list gets me the dictionary I'm looking for.
So in both cases one less click, plus one less grumble for translations.

To be continued with parameters menus

Last edited by anacreon; 11-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote