Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I am really tempted to get this what do you guys think is it real
http://www.firstsing.com/p/2573/fs31...tional-version
Hmmm, price seems low for an unlocked version. I'd be skeptical and seems you are.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #47
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm, price seems low for an unlocked version. I'd be skeptical and seems you are.
I don't think its a samsung more like an exact copy. As most electronics are made in China some factories sell the exact thing without the brand name. Have seen that a lot in headphones etc never in a smart phone. I guess the processor wont be the same as that made by samsung but the rest could be.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think its a samsung more like an exact copy. As most electronics are made in China some factories sell the exact thing without the brand name. Have seen that a lot in headphones etc never in a smart phone. I guess the processor wont be the same as that made by samsung but the rest could be.
Probably....and different software and different....
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Probably....and different software and different....
...internal memory capacity and speaker quality. I have a double sim clone phone. Is fast, works smoothly but 160MB available after Android 4.0 took up all the rest. And you have to shout to be heard or squeeze it against your ear hard to hear someone. Will keep it for a year and then see. Must say screen resolution is superb though. I don't recommend those knock-offs though, having one.

Edited to add: http://www.gsmarena.com/acer_liquid_...t_duo-4871.php

I'm eyeing this, I need double sim though.

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 01-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #50
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Sometimes clones are factory 2nds, 3rds or even fails, that are refurbished in another shop and this can be done up to spec or with just enough to work.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #51
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
You can go with clones, or refurbs, or just used.

On eBay and Amazon you can get a 30 day guarantee if you look about.

I decided to look at what I call a mini-tablet except since mini-tabs haven't been around very long, I ended up with a used Droid I phone about 3 years old, that I only use on WiFi though I could use it as a phone if I signed a contract.

It has a 3.7" display, a really great camera, and of course the bells and whistles of a (in its time) franchise phone. I thought the keyboard would be great, and it does work well, but I hardly ever use it. With the keyboard it is actually pretty heavy in the hand. A solid machine.

As time passes, I hope I will be able to get a 4 or 5 inch mini tablet like a Note (5.3) or something like that.

I have had the Droid I for some months now. No problems.
The cost? For complete phone, new charger, new cable?

With shipping and no tax: $36.

I did put a big SD card that I already had in it, and the memory is now 32GB.

A cheap gamble.

30 day return policy, and no dealing across the water.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #52
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I wouldn't do it. Part of what you get when you buy a known brand is confidence and realiability. There are a good many reviews on the Note II and ample placed to find the product in person.

With this device there is no information one can gather. It's a real crap shoot. The specs are identical with the Note II but is the software the same and the build quality the same? That stuff really matters.

But then again I'm not a gambling man. I'd rather pay twice the price and know what I got than hope for he best.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #53
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I wouldn't do it. Part of what you get when you buy a known brand is confidence and realiability. There are a good many reviews on the Note II and ample placed to find the product in person.

With this device there is no information one can gather. It's a real crap shoot. The specs are identical with the Note II but is the software the same and the build quality the same? That stuff really matters.

But then again I'm not a gambling man. I'd rather pay twice the price and know what I got than hope for he best.

=X=
It is not a crap shot, the odds are much worse. With no-name Chinese devices chances are about 20:1 that you will be getting a piece of junk. And this is the voice of 20+ years China experience speaking.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #54
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It is not a crap shot, the odds are much worse. With no-name Chinese devices chances are about 20:1 that you will be getting a piece of junk. And this is the voice of 20+ years China experience speaking.
right
better old used working name brand machine than unknown box of parts

old saying?
"pig in a poke"?

na now

Last edited by forsooth; 01-29-2013 at 03:29 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #55
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Nook Color running CM7, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
First let me say that I purchased this phone 12/24/12 and I love it.
Nothing compares . However, buyer beware. There are major issues right now with the international versions of S3 and Note II. Mostly S3 (specific models). So far I don't think these issues have surfaced in the US. Time will tell. I don't want to go into great detail or light a fire in this thread, but I'll point you to XDA site and you decide for yourself. Seems like things are dying down over there, but Samsung is aware and replacing the units under warranty. Others are flashing roms to fix a suspected software issue. Some are suggesting a defective charger.

The point is it would be wise buy the US version from a reputable dealer, register the device with Samsung to activate the warranty. Even at $249.00, this is expensive to end up with a brick without warranty. If price is an issue and it's not necessary to get a phone right away, wait for the S4 to come out and hopefully the price on the Note II will drop.
@Dopedangel, I just noticed your location. So I guess US version is not an option.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1993044

Although the second link is about S3, it's only about 4 pages long, scroll around and see cases about Note II.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=36415402

I sure hope these are isolated cases as this is the best damn phone I've ever owned

Last edited by 1katie23; 01-13-2013 at 10:34 AM.
1katie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #56
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Nook Color running CM7, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How is the battery life? Colleague of mine at work has the original Note and gets very poor battery life from it.
Battery is excellent overall. I can get a couple of days from it without a charge with casual use outside of my work location. I'm on Sprint service without LTE (just 3g) so you have to make sure if this is your case that you have the network mode set to CDMA only, or else you will experience poor battery life. Same holds true if your in an area with poor coverage, it's constantly looking for a connection and this is a battery drain on any device. At work, I'm in the lower levels of the bldg and the facility has its own Verizon tower and I can not get a connection without setting the phone to roam. Despite this and having all of the bells and whistles set to on with frequent syncing, I still have about 60% battery left after 10 hrs. My old iphone 4s died withing 5-6 hrs under the same conditions.

This phone provides the best battery life I've experienced on any phone.
1katie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #57
PO40600
Enthusiast
PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note II & Note Pro 12.2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PB Touch,Odysse
I'm also an happy user of this marvelous phone.

Previously, I used iPhone 3G and iPhone 4.

Nothing can be compared between them and the Note II. The size of the screen make the note II just more than pleasant to use it on the Web. My only regrets are for some very good Apps I had on my iPhone (especially french dictionaries).

Battery life is excellent, as is Androïd, even for an old Apple user like me.
PO40600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #58
kennyc

Congratulations!

and welcome to MR!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #59
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm almost convinced my next phone will be a Note 2. Not anytime soon, probably not even before the Note 3 debuts, but I've started saving for it and perhaps after the N3 hits prices will be more to my liking. I wish I had multiwindow on my transformer. I like the pixel density, I've heard good things about SAMOLED and I like that it's not pentile. There's not much point in even insanely high res, high contrast screens if you're gonna blur them up with questionable pixel configuration. As a reader especially, sharp text is very important to me, and even barely perceptible blur can lead to eye strain and discomfort after long reading sessions.

If the GS4 has spen and isn't pentile, I might go that way instead. I've heard speculation that both would be true, and since it is inching ever closer to the size of the original note, spen becomes more practical. But I'm not counting on speculation, and the N2 looks pretty dandy even if GS4 disappoints.

Poor Syd (my HTC Touch Pro2 and primary reader) is getting pretty aged. The speed is tolerable, though I can't update Kindle (et al) anymore as the newer versions are too much for her to handle. I'd like to have a nice solid replacement before she turns 4.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #60
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I love my note 2!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote