Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #76
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Tested this second version on a stock 3.4, with no fonts hack, doesn't work (nothing changes in the menus)

still 8 choices, still same sizes : )

just reporting the results. Cheers

I've looked through your opt folder and jar files.
What I see is next: you already have class ReaderResources_en.class inside MobiReader.jar. I suppose this is the reason why the same class which you're adding is not mounted - cause it is already found.

So, I've made for you 2 classes ReaderResources_en_US.class and UIResources_en_US.class.

They should override all existing ones. Copy 2 jar files in attachment to \opt\amazon\ebook\lib\ and let me know how it is going.

EDIT: you're telling "stock 3.4". What does it mean? Can you please tell me what device you have? Give a link to amazon, please.

EDIT2: sorry for bad attachment name. This is for file opt-3.4-Stock.tar.gz that you sent - as I understand this is 6" kindle keyboard with 3.4 firmware, right?

EDIT3: before copying these 2 new jars into lib folder, delete those old 2 ones (ending with _en) that I've made before.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3.3.zip (1.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by ihor; 09-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
I've looked through your opt folder and jar files.
What I see is next: you already have class ReaderResources_en.class inside MobiReader.jar. I suppose this is the reason why the same class which you're adding is not mounted - cause it is already found.

So, I've made for you 2 classes ReaderResources_en_US.class and UIResources_en_US.class.

They should override all existing ones. Copy 2 jar files in attachment to \opt\amazon\ebook\lib\ and let me know how it is going.

EDIT: you're telling "stock 3.4". What does it mean? Can you please tell me what device you have? Give a link to amazon, please.
He has a Kindle (3) keyboard, and his native language is en_UK
I think the K3 was purchased from a USA source, so that might be why you see en_US rather than en_UK files.
"stock 3.4" means Amazon firmware version 3.3 updated by Amazon update to firmware version 3.4
(well, actually, he started from 3.0 and updated forward to 3.4)

Last edited by knc1; 09-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #78
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
you're telling "stock 3.4". What does it mean? Can you please tell me what device you have? Give a link to amazon, please.

... as I understand this is 6" kindle keyboard with 3.4 firmware, right? ...
Yep 3.4. Stock. (like not "messed about with" by me) so it should be like the other 3.4 users on Mobile Read (well, the normal ones)

Felt it was important to get out a version that could be widely used.

Now you mention it this WAS a US import kindle... so.. err.. This is tested as working on US 3.4... (I have a UK one at another house) I'll test it on there eventually if no-one else in the UK does before I do)

This works for me. Huge thanks and Karma your way mate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_078.png
Views:	291
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	92476  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #79
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
This works for me. Huge thanks and Karma your way mate.
What is Karma on this site? (sorry for dumb questions - I am relatively new here)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #80
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
What is Karma on this site? (sorry for dumb questions - I am relatively new here)
Similar to: "Bragging Rights"
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #81
ihor
Enthusiast

I am glad it is working.

I see that it will be necessary to create a version for every version of firmware. This is the reason - see attachment.

The code of MobiReader and framework are similar, so first I though it would be enough to create one file with _en_US in the end....

But this won't be enough, since import classes have different obfuscated name.
So, it will be a routine process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obfusc.png
Views:	255
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	92477  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #82
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah bugger.

Yes indeed. GOOD CATCH MATE

Thank goodness there are only a few revisions....
(the later kindles have their own little tricks I believe.)

You officially cheered me up on a very sunburnt day. Thanks mate!

I am using your hack right now, and forever.(well until the kindle dies) great work
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #83
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I am glad it is working.

I see that it will be necessary to create a version for every version of firmware. This is the reason - see attachment.

The code of MobiReader and framework are similar, so first I though it would be enough to create one file with _en_US in the end....

But this won't be enough, since import classes have different obfuscated name.
So, it will be a routine process.
That one is easy to solve. Just remove *everything* in the overriding resource bundle *except* for the entry/entries that you actually want to replace.

Unless you're extremely unlucky, this will - as a side effect - also trim down the required imports to maybe three or four (common) classes.

EDIT: Oh, I see that you did just that. But this also means that your "import conflicts" should have gone away. In fact, there is only one import left:

Spoiler:

Code:
package com.amazon.ebook.framework.resources;

import java.util.ListResourceBundle;

public class UIResources_en_US extends ListResourceBundle
{

public UIResources_en_US()
    {
    }

public Object[][] getContents()
    {
        return f;
    }

static final Object f[][] = {
        {
            "fontmenu.default.font.size.list", new int[] {
                21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 
            }
        }
    };

}

And a final hint: you don't need two separate jar files. You can put both classes into the same file, of course.

Last edited by ixtab; 09-17-2012 at 01:07 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #84
ihor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That one is easy to solve. Just remove *everything* in the overriding resource bundle *except* for the entry/entries that you actually want to replace.

Unless you're extremely unlucky, this will - as a side effect - also trim down the required imports to maybe three or four (common) classes.

EDIT: Oh, I see that you did just that. But this also means that your "import conflicts" should have gone away. In fact, there is only one import left:

Spoiler:

Code:
package com.amazon.ebook.framework.resources;

import java.util.ListResourceBundle;

public class UIResources_en_US extends ListResourceBundle
{

public UIResources_en_US()
    {
    }

public Object[][] getContents()
    {
        return f;
    }

static final Object f[][] = {
        {
            "fontmenu.default.font.size.list", new int[] {
                21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 
            }
        }
    };

}

And a final hint: you don't need two separate jar files. You can put both classes into the same file, of course.
ixtab, you won't believe, but I did all except last point (putting in one file) still BEFORE I read this message.

you mentioned about this several days before, I read it, but not attentively. then re-read your previous message. then did a new version - see attach. then started writing my messsage - and noticed your instruction.

this is nice that you wrote all this, because I could check my work with someone who knows java much better. And that is why I see all is done correctly.

So, here you are - a new version which shoud work on firmwares starting from 2.5.8.
Attached Files
File Type: zip generic_Aa_fix.zip (1.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #85
ihor
Enthusiast

if someone here can make a bin file that can work as regular updates (like launchpad, etc.) - it would be nice.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #86
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
if someone here can make a bin file that can work as regular updates (like launchpad, etc.) - it would be nice.
Well... you can
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #87
ihor
Enthusiast

Ixtab, I know I can do everything. I never had a deal with java before this, but I coped with fix (of course with your help; without it I would also cope - but spending much longer time).

Question: why should it be me? Am I really the only one who is interested in this patch?

There are people who can do this much quicker than me.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #88
twobob

heh. fair play mate.

I'll have a look at making an installer for that for "all of us" tomorrow.

Huge thanks for all your help. and you, IxTab big thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #89
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Ixtab, I know I can do everything. I never had a deal with java before this, but I coped with fix (of course with your help; without it I would also cope - but spending much longer time).

Question: why should it be me? Am I really the only one who is interested in this patch?

There are people who can do this much quicker than me.
For two reasons:

1. You are the one who initially wanted it, and who developed it. You're right that you're probably not the only one interested in it, but still: it's "your" product, not mine or anybody else's

2. For the same reason that I also helped you with a few hints, yet essentially pushed you to actually do it yourself:
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Or, in other words: because afterwards, you will also know how to create update packages for the Kindle, and will be able to help others with this knowledge.

PS: Update packages have nothing to do with Java, they're essentially plain shell scripts. And creating them is pretty simple.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ihor: Because it's fun to learn something new? .

We tend to be a bit snarky at times, don't take everything we say at heart (well, speaking for myself, at least ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote