Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Barry Kirk
Barry Kirk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Synch Questions Nook PC and Nook

How do I synch my books between Nook for PC and my Nook?

Specifically, I'm looking to synch the last page read for books that I'm reading on the two platforms.

Also, how do you delete books from the software Nook for PC?
Barry Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Baka no Kami
Baka no Kami is on a distinguished road

Device: Baka no Kami
As far as I know last page read syncing should just work on the nook color. On the original nook it should just start working if you've updated to software 1.5.

You can only archive and unarchive books from the nook or the pc software. To delete a book you have to log into the BN site and do it there.
Baka no Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Barry Kirk
Barry Kirk began at the beginning.

Question... Does synching work with sideloaded books?
Barry Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Baka no Kami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Kirk View Post
Question... Does synching work with sideloaded books?
Nope.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Trying to find the same answer on Syncing

Where can a person find out how to sync a Nook Color to an Iphone? B&N's website doesn't explain it and yet they brag about that feature.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Kirk View Post
How do I synch my books between Nook for PC and my Nook?

Specifically, I'm looking to synch the last page read for books that I'm reading on the two platforms.

Also, how do you delete books from the software Nook for PC?
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pim..._NOOK_v1_5.pdf

Page 127
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Apparently this isn't available for the Nook Color

I appreciate the reference Ken, but looks like syncing isn't available for the Nook Color, yet. The Nook Color has it's own manual, though I did look at the page reference you gave me to see if something similar was available.

I would have thought B&N would have had this feature in the Nook Color for sure at it's debut.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
I appreciate the reference Ken, but looks like syncing isn't available for the Nook Color, yet. The Nook Color has it's own manual, though I did look at the page reference you gave me to see if something similar was available.

I would have thought B&N would have had this feature in the Nook Color for sure at it's debut.
Yeah, you'd think it would be at the top of the list, as it should have been for the grayscale Nook in the first place. I guess "internal" syncing of a single person's readers/devices is more of a priority for us than for B&N. Social-network sharing probably sucked up the programming time from things like that. I suppose social networking might make B&N some money, but me being on the same page with myself probably won't.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Themus
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Irving View Post
Yeah, you'd think it would be at the top of the list, as it should have been for the grayscale Nook in the first place. I guess "internal" syncing of a single person's readers/devices is more of a priority for us than for B&N. Social-network sharing probably sucked up the programming time from things like that. I suppose social networking might make B&N some money, but me being on the same page with myself probably won't.
Well, I just found on B&N's own website, half way done, on their comparison chart, that the Nook Color is supposed to sync between devices. They even point this out before the update for the regular Nook.

So now they either misspoke, or it's buried somehow.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/index.asp
Old 11-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Ken Irving
Writer

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/noo..._NOOKcolor.pdf page 31, at the bottom under "Jumping to Last Page Read."

It looks like it does it more or less automatically, with no on/off setting as with the grayscale Nook 1.5.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Baka no Kami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Irving View Post
http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/noo..._NOOKcolor.pdf page 31, at the bottom under "Jumping to Last Page Read."

It looks like it does it more or less automatically, with no on/off setting as with the grayscale Nook 1.5.
That's correct. I had thought it would be the same with the original nook once the update was installed, but I didn't know there was an on/off option for the original.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Themus
Zealot

I just read that too late last night. If I read it carefully, that brief paragraph seems to say it will sync the Nook Color to the last page read on the Nook app. I am not sure that is the same thing as syncing the last page on the Nook app to the Nook Color.

Is it one directional? I tried it again last night with no success. I even pressed the double arrow icons.

Nook support shared the following via email, "The synchronize is automatic with both devices. If you have Wifi connection then the Nook color will sync when you turn it on or when sync your library (click on the arrow chasing it's tail in the lower left). The iphone should sync when you start your application or when you sync your library."}

Has anyone tried it and under what conditions? Do you have to read so many pages or chapters? I tried two different books, but not too many pages further into each.

Also, I am using the Itouch - Iphone app with wireless working at home.

I hope I am helping someone as you are all helping me.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Themus
Zealot

Update: B&N after several emails requested I called them. I just got off the phone with their technical support. I have not ever quite experienced anything quite like it. He wasn't from India, but I thought I was talking to a robot. He must have been reading almost directly from a script.

Basically he told me the only syncing the Nook Color does is with the PC Desktop Nook application and the older Nook. It does NOT according to him snyc with any other device, like the Iphone and Itouch.

I just thought I would pass on for now the official party line form B&N tech support.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Themus
Zealot

Update II: By the little feedback, either this syncing isn't too important to people or they have mastered it. For those like me who may have had trouble, and B&N support was not profitable, I found out the solution last night while trying different steps.

I work in IT so the problem sort of makes sense. In Windows, someone else normally cannot modify a file that you are in. You have to close it for them to edit it.

So far for the Nook Color, that also seems to be the case. You have to close the book you are in, but that is not done simply by closing the eBook and going to the Library. {That's where B&N leave you.}

As you know, when you go back to that same book from the Library, it takes you where you left off. So it's not really closed per my observation. To close it for syncing you have to actually open another eBook for a brief moment. That takes the eBook you want to sync out of the loop so to speak.

Then you can go ahead and press those sync symbols - the double arrows - on your different devices, and to your joy, they will open up on the last page read.

I've tried this many times now and it works both ways. The key is not to open the book you wish synced before you open and close another book first.

I know it's odd, but it works. Probably a bug in the software as I don't know if the Kindle has this problem.

Hopefully a future update can make this more simple.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
Awesome, I was having problems syncing from my nook color to my classic nook and back to the color
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote