Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
My plans are surfing the web, hanging out on MR.mobi and playing Angry Birds. Do you think I would see a difference in performance? Oh and I spend a lot of time on YouTube. Thanks
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
No idea until someone compares them back to back. My guess is, not likely. Most tablet applications don't load all that much in to memory anyway. What you will likely notice is you aren't able to have as many recent apps that are still resident in memory. So with 1GB of memory you might have a dozen small apps loaded in memory at any given time, plus the core OS elements. With 512MB you might only manage 4 or 5 small apps and if you are switching between a whole slew, or go to reopen one that you had open a couple of hours and 5 or 6 "apps ago", it'll take longer to load as it has to unload something from memory and load something back in to memory.

So app performance itself, not likely to be impact with maybe the exception of some really humongous memory hogs (in which case there may be a lot more loading time between levels or something as it has to unload and load up stuff). App loading time you'll probably notice some impact if you use a lot of apps frequently.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Lancelot
Enthusiast
Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
For those purposes, you might as well get the NOOK Color and rooted it to run CM7.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
temetka
Enthusiast
temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
I might agree about the Nook Color.

However the Nook Tablet has an extra CPU and more RAM over the Nook Color. I believe the Nook Tablet would give a better overall user experience than the Nook Color. I have owned a Nook Color since they came out and while I love it to death, I can't wait to upgrade to the Nook Tablet.
temetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
For those purposes, you might as well get the NOOK Color and rooted it to run CM7.
Or, if you are averse to rooting, create a bootable CM7 SD card and dual-boot.
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by temetka View Post
However the Nook Tablet has an extra CPU and more RAM over the Nook Color.
The 16GB Tab has more RAM, the 8GB has the same as the NC (it does have the better CPU though). The difference in performance between the NC anf the Tab 16 is quite a bit, haven't tried the Tab 8.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, Sir Lancelot! I was coming back to ask this question! I also concluded that the nColor would probably suffice! I've seen the term CM7; what exactly would that do for me?? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Mind if I answer this?

Android is a free operating system mostly developed by Google. It has to be modified slightly to run on certain hardware. B&N has modified the version for the Nook so that you can pretty much only access their stuff. Picture running Windows on your computer, but only being able to look at Internet Explorer and run no other programs.

CM7 has been modified by some talented programmers to run on the Nook and open up the operating system to allow you to run whatever you want. For example, the Google Marketplace is now accessible, so you can download and install apps from it.

The only downside is that the fluff B&N puts into the Nook is not accessible while you're running CM7. But you can download the Nook app from the Google Marketplace (now called "Google Play") to read your Nook books and magazines. You can also install the Kindle app if you have any Amazon ebooks.

The good news is that you can run CM7 directly from an SD card without actually changing anything on your Nook. All you have to do is restart your Nook to put it back to the original operating system. Restart it again to switch back to CM7.

Last edited by kevinp; 04-12-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: a couple more details...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
eSheri
Addict

Thank you KevinP! I consider myself a computer geek but have had my head in school books lately; while i am familiar with the android system, i was unfamiliar with CM7. But you've done an excellent job at bringing me up to date! thanks! No, i would not want to root but would very much like to run cm7 from an SD card.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
For those purposes, wouldn't an unrooted Color Nook work fine?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
eSheri
Addict

Quote:
I just nabbed a nColor on eBay with a 4GB card. I think this will do... for now!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Angry

Keep in mind that the advertized internal storage (not operating system RAM) available for YOUR stuff on the 16GB (not sure about the 8GB) is only 1GB. The rest is only available for purchases you make from B&N. They do have an in-store 'fix' that allows you to access a little more...either way it is a bit deceptive on their part as to the amount of the internal storage you can use for your own content. If you read the fine print item #6 it lays all this out for you.

Rooting does not appear to free up this internal storage either...yes a MicroSD card allows extra storage, however, that is not the point. It is advertized with 16GB storage but only 1GB is accessible for your content...

I got one for my wife and we are seriously considering taking it back and letting B&N know the exact reason for the return and that we will be buying a competitors device instead.
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
Keep in mind that the advertized internal storage (not operating system RAM) available for YOUR stuff on the 16GB (not sure about the 8GB) is only 1GB. The rest is only available for purchases you make from B&N. They do have an in-store 'fix' that allows you to access a little more...either way it is a bit deceptive on their part as to the amount of the internal storage you can use for your own content. If you read the fine print item #6 it lays all this out for you.

Rooting does not appear to free up this internal storage either...yes a MicroSD card allows extra storage, however, that is not the point. It is advertized with 16GB storage but only 1GB is accessible for your content...

I got one for my wife and we are seriously considering taking it back and letting B&N know the exact reason for the return and that we will be buying a competitors device instead.
I would have it repartitioned at the store; the alternative partition gives you 1/2 of the space for B&N content and 1/2 for sideloaded.

There is a compromise here; some of the magazines are in the 500-1000MB range, so the B&N partition can't be too small.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I would have it repartitioned at the store; the alternative partition gives you 1/2 of the space for B&N content and 1/2 for sideloaded.

There is a compromise here; some of the magazines are in the 500-1000MB range, so the B&N partition can't be too small.
Exactly...even repartitioned you still don't get the full 16GB. That is the issue with magazines we subscribe to...they are just to big for the amount of space provided.

Most likely we will be taking it back and getting a 'real' tablet...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
eSheri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I just nabbed a nColor on eBay with a 4GB card. I think this will do... for now!
So I got my nColor yesterday, went across the street to B&N to set it up and I love it! The screen is so vibrant! And the viewing the web is awesome! Its a little heavier than I'd like it to be but, its still nice. Actually I got 2 of them. Maybe I will sell them and get the tablet.