Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
I too am a big fan of Stanza. Why? The swipe up and down to adjust brightness and the fact that there are so many colors to chose from for text and background, not to mention the one touch "night reading" setup option. My prefs are white on dark blue for day reading and off-white on dark brown for night.

As far as an alternative reader...... anything else would just be second best.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I too am a big fan of Stanza. Why? The swipe up and down to adjust brightness and the fact that there are so many colors to chose from for text and background, not to mention the one touch "night reading" setup option. My prefs are white on dark blue for day reading and off-white on dark brown for night.

As far as an alternative reader...... anything else would just be second best.
Stanza was what got me into ereading littterally... but since amazon purchased it it went down hill fast and was quite buggy.. half the time each patch broke it and needed another fix to unbreak the patch.

i miss the old reliable stanzaand ive tried reader apps of every kind on android and ioss and none come close. my feeling is amazon saw it as competition and bought it to let it slowly die on its vine
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the life of me I can't image why there is not a good open source reader app out there. Something that connects to Calibre, syncs across desktops and mobile devices, and is "public." A reader that focuses on the reading experience and NOT the selling experience (i.e.: download and sync our drm books from our store only).

Yes... I understand that it's all about publishers making money. But I read, almost exclusively, free, public domain, drm free material... why should I be limited to apps that are designed to sell and push a particular vendors product?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
For the life of me I can't image why there is not a good open source reader app out there. Something that connects to Calibre, syncs across desktops and mobile devices, and is "public." A reader that focuses on the reading experience and NOT the selling experience (i.e.: download and sync our drm books from our store only).

... why should I be limited to apps that are designed to sell and push a particular vendors product?
Write one
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
1611mac
eWanderer

well.. I have programmed before... Would you believe I programmed in Pascal on the Apple iii (3). Yep... Apple 3 That was 25 yrs ago!
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
well.. I have programmed before... Would you believe I programmed in Pascal on the Apple iii (3). Yep... Apple 3 That was 25 yrs ago!
*highfives* Pascal was the first language I "learned" as well! And by learned I mean slogged through dreadfully.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Yes... I understand that it's all about publishers making money. But I read, almost exclusively, free, public domain, drm free material... why should I be limited to apps that are designed to sell and push a particular vendors product?
Port cool reader. Read about it in are wiki. The source is on Sourceforge.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never liked Stanza due to the numerous bugs. It's never been fixed to be good enough.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Port cool reader. Read about it in are wiki. The source is on Sourceforge.
I like the background in cool reader. I haven't used the app much as I just got it but it looks very nice on Android.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #25
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Why not just use iBooks?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #26
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Why not just use iBooks?
The customisation available in iBooks is very limited compared to Stanza. As someone who reads mainly at night, it is important to have a good choice of colour schemes, and to be able to lower the brightness below the minimum that the system slider offers.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Why not just use iBooks?
iBooks can do strange things with it's wonky ePub implementation.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #28
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never liked Stanza due to the numerous bugs. It's never been fixed to be good enough.
Which ones?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #29
1611mac
eWanderer

RE: "Stanza bugs"
My experience is that Stanza on my iPad is rock solid stable. No problems at all. Quite the opposite. It is the best app to meet my current needs. As stated above mostly due to the many varied color setups available and the swipe up and down for brightness change.

RE: iBooks
Not enough color schemes. Period. This is one of the most important things for me. Everyone eyes are different and we all read under different conditions. It is very short-sighted (get that) for developers to think we ALL want to read black on white or white on black and that's all.....
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
*sigh* Stanza is pretty much the only reason I continue to use an iPhone despite chomping at the bit to switch to Android. Admittedly, it can be a bit buggy (unhandled exception errors, etc) but the features far outweigh the inconvenience of having to restart the app every now and then.

I just recently acquired a prepaid Android smartphone (LG Thrive) so I think I'll have to start searching in earnest for alternative ebook readers on Android.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza