Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #46
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Wow! And they don't mention it in the "What is multiformat" section as being supported... interesting.

But off to pick up Analog!
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingreader View Post
Yay! I've been waiting for something like this! It was so sad to flip through all the books that fictionwise has but not be able to buy them in a compatible format for my sony.

Good job fictionwise!
Remember that this only applies to a minority of the books that they sell. Most "big names" are available only in secure formats (MobiPocket, LIT).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #48
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Wonderful timing as my birthday is coming up! Woot and all that good stuff. (It's rather early at the moment and I haven't had coffee yet but I am happy about this even if my woot sounds somewhat flat.)
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow - what an amazing place "Fictionwise" is; I'd never really looked at it closely before, and had no idea that all those magazines like "F&SF" were available as eBooks. Just bought a sample issue of half a dozen different mags to see which I like - I can see this being a place at which I could do some serious "spending" .

Bought a secure MobiPocket version of "Cryptonomicon" too, for my iLiad.

Some serious reading awaits...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #50
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It may be a minority of their line, as HarryT points out, but it's not a small list. Hopefully, the numbers will be significant, the competition will notice and follow on, and eventually the publishers will catch on that e-ink, in many ways, makes e-books a whole new ballgame by broadening the market.

And, of course, there's the e-magazines, which I think are the true sleeping giant of broad e-book market acceptance.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's wonderful for the Sony Reader that this new supply of material has been opened up to it. Best of all, it's available world-wide - until now, those of us outside the US had nowhere to buy commercial material for the Reader.

I agree with you about the magazines. I had no idea that they were available, and they are a great resource.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #52
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow - what an amazing place "Fictionwise" is; I'd never really looked at it closely before, and had no idea that all those magazines like "F&SF" were available as eBooks. Just bought a sample issue of half a dozen different mags to see which I like - I can see this being a place at which I could do some serious "spending" .

Bought a secure MobiPocket version of "Cryptonomicon" too, for my iLiad.

Some serious reading awaits...
Even better, once in a while Fictionwise has subscription sales for e-magazines, so you can get Asimov's say at ~24$ per year instead of the regular 33$ or so, with the rest going into your Micropay account. And they notify you by email when the new issue is available so you do not have even to check...

Also they have big discounts every week on new items, and once in a while on various stuff (even up to 100% - again you pay the full price and they put the discoount in the Micropay account, so you can spend them only there, but that's ok with me since anyway I buy lots of stuff from them - that way I bought my one and only 20$+ ebook, got the 100% discount and bought 3 more books with it, so got the average price at 6$)
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #53
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
An LRF file, by definition, has no DRM. The file format with DRM is LRX. Sony appear to be the only ones able to create LRX files.
Got it, thanks.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #54
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Even better, once in a while Fictionwise has subscription sales for e-magazines, so you can get Asimov's say at ~24$ per year instead of the regular 33$ or so, with the rest going into your Micropay account. And they notify you by email when the new issue is available so you do not have even to check....
My letter carrier will be very happy with this news. We already get complaints about the high volume of mail we receive and the weight of the magazines and journals that seem to come everyday.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Spent yesterday evening reading "F&SF" - great! One of the reasons I've gone off paper magazine in recent years is the fact that they take up so much storage space. Being able to keep magazines electronically is wonderful; I've now subscribed to "F&SF" and "Ellory Queen's Mystery Magazine" .
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 AM   #56
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yup, they're using libprs500 to do the conversions...
That's quite an achievement. Congrats, man!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
That's quite an achievement. Congrats, man!
Thank 'ee kindly :-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Spent yesterday evening reading "F&SF" - great! One of the reasons I've gone off paper magazine in recent years is the fact that they take up so much storage space. Being able to keep magazines electronically is wonderful; I've now subscribed to "F&SF" and "Ellory Queen's Mystery Magazine" .
Are you reading on the Sony to let them know that LRF support is a good thing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I downloaded both the MobiPocket and LRF versions, but I'm actually reading at the moment on the iLiad, because I prefer the larger screen. I'm going away for a short trip in the near future, however, and the Reader will be accompanying me on that trip.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:26 AM   #60
happyreader
Pleasant page turner
happyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle 2, iPhone
Just wanted to say that I too am a very happy camper!

Way to go Fictionwise!
happyreader is offline   Reply With Quote