Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
do you turn it off?

just got a kindle wifi for christmas, very happy with it!

just wondering...are you ment to turn it off when you are done reading? or does it go into sleep mode automatically? i know it goes to the screen saver, but is there a furhter sleep mode?
also, am i right in supossing there will be no screen-burning issues even if it does keep an image fixed for ages?

cheers
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
rockkybox
rockkybox doesn't litterrockkybox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Don't worry about screen burn in; the technology is completely different; that's nothing to worry about. One of the advantages of e ink is that keeping a static image uses no energy so the sleep mode is very low power I imagine.
rockkybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just turn the wifi off when not using it, that can eat up battery life
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
crossfit
crossfit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
It will go to sleep mode automatically. That is where you see the screen savers which are just there for nicety. We don't need a screen saver really.
crossfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
As KindleKitten says I'd turn the wifi off for sure to conserve battery but you don't have to turn the Kindle off at all if you don't want to.

I tend to switch it on in the morning and then switch it off before I go to bed. So it stays on all day. It's really down to personal preference. Enjoy
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I don't even actively put it to sleep. I just close the cover and put it aside as I would a book. I power it down never.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have taken to momentarily sliding the power button to force sleep mode - reason: I found that sometimes when closing the cover, I would be pressing down on one of the page turning buttons or the 5-way thingie and my k3 would be doing things accidently. So by forcing sleep mode, I avoid any inadvertent actions.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I'm with @FF2. Since I chose to keep my unlighted official Kindle cover, I found it caused problems with either an inadvertent page turn (pressure on the keys prior to sleep mode) or a freeze (the oft-reported grinch). A 5-second power switch hold will blank the screen. This apparently de-activates the Kindle enough that I have not had a cover problem in several weeks now, and re-awakening still takes the same 1-2 seconds as an automatic sleep mode power up. This is not the same as a total power off because it does not require the usual 45-second reboot.

I have trained my wife to do the same 'power down' when using her nylon protective case. I think it's a good idea to avoid trouble. During normal daily use, I let the self-sleep mode activate when I'm not using the cover which is most of the time.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
Quote:
A 5-second power switch hold will blank the screen
I do the same thing. Not sure if it saves any power but it makes me fell better.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
stevo9er
stevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
I just turn off wifi and let it go to screensaver itself, no point in wearing down buttons when it handles power so well.
stevo9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo9er View Post
I just turn off wifi and let it go to screensaver itself, no point in wearing down buttons when it handles power so well.
That should work fine. I don't think there is any power advantage between screensaver/sleep mode and blank screen mode except blanking the screen seems to isolate the electronics from the freeze/reset bug when using the unlighted cover. If you're not using that unlighted Kindle cover, it shouldn't matter.

If you look at the disassembly video, you'll see that the way the power switch is made and the spring mechanism, there is virtually no way the power switch would 'wear out' before the Kindle does.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't think you will save much energy when switching it off in comparison to sleep mode (when you read every day). It's possible that it even needs more energy because of the boot process.
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I'm not sure there is an advantage to turning off wifi.
The wifi on mine seems to get disabled in screensaver mode. When it wakes from screensaver, the wifi re-enables and does a "sync and check for new items"

I leave my wifi on, only use screensaver mode (i.e. don't turn it off) and the battery lasts at least 3-4 weeks.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Accidental key press

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I don't even actively put it to sleep. I just close the cover and put it aside as I would a book. I power it down never.
However, if you put the kindle in your bag, it may register accidental key press, and leave your last read point. Put it to sleep can prevent this.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
stevo9er
stevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I'm not sure there is an advantage to turning off wifi.
The wifi on mine seems to get disabled in screensaver mode. When it wakes from screensaver, the wifi re-enables and does a "sync and check for new items"

I leave my wifi on, only use screensaver mode (i.e. don't turn it off) and the battery lasts at least 3-4 weeks.
Completely forgot about this thanks.
stevo9er is offline   Reply With Quote