Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
gladiator46
gladiator46 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Invalid Format!

Hi guys,

my prs505 reader crashed and after resetting the device i got the error message "Invalid Format!".

I tried all the solutions discussed in this forum. Without success.

The problem is, that no key presses are beeing recognized. Therefore i can not reformat the internal memory using the "enter" key and i'm not able to use the universal flasher or the PRS_customizer.
My idea is, to change the autorun.js out of the universal flasher, in a way that the script automatically runs the function "5". I tried to change the script by myself but it did not work. :-(
Has anybody an idea how to change the script or to fix the issue in a different way?

Thx for your help!

Jens
gladiator46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Reset the device and while it is starting up, connect it to your PC. Your PC should be able to recognize it as a USB drive. Then, format the device in Windows using FAT32. Disconnet from PC and then you should be back up and running.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
Reset the device and while it is starting up, connect it to your PC. Your PC should be able to recognize it as a USB drive. Then, format the device in Windows using FAT32. Disconnet from PC and then you should be back up and running.
Assuming this works, and I think it will, before continuing it wouldn't hurt to "format internal memory" via advanced settings.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
gladiator46

Hello,

thx for your replies!

I forgot to mention in my posting that i already tried these steps. Regardless wether i format the device with fat or fat32, wether i label the partition with "untitled" or "UNTITLED" or a own label - the reader says "Invalid Format". As discussed in other threads i'm able to write data on the volume with windows, mac os or linux but the reader does not recognize the format.

And due to the fact that no key press is beeing recognized i'm not able to format the volume with the reader itself.

Any other ideas?

Regards Jens
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator46 View Post
Any other ideas?
This thread is your answer.

The thread used to be a sticky until Mobileread restructured their forums. I wonder what other critical stickies were lost?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
gladiator46

Hi DWanthny,

thx again for your answer!

But the solution your are pointing to

"If your Reader displays 'Invalid Format!', you need to press the button in the center of the joystick. This give you the option to 'Format Internal Memory', which appears to reset the memory to whatever configuration it needs in order to work."

does not work for me, because my reader did not recognize a key press. So regardless wether i press the keys 0 - 9 or the "enter" key in the middle of the joystick - nothing happens.

So, from my point of, the only possible solution is, to modify the autorun.sh script from the universal flasher/prs customizer in a way that the script starts the function behind key "5" automatically when the sd card is plugged in.

But i'm not experienced enough to modify the script by myself.

Regards Jens
Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator46 View Post
"If your Reader displays 'Invalid Format!', you need to press the button in the center of the joystick. This give you the option to 'Format Internal Memory', which appears to reset the memory to whatever configuration it needs in order to work."

does not work for me, because my reader did not recognize a key press. So regardless wether i press the keys 0 - 9 or the "enter" key in the middle of the joystick - nothing happens.
The person who had this error also had all keys locked out. The exact same symptoms you were describing. Maybe you have to hold the joypad key in for 5+ seconds?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
gladiator46

Hello,

i think i found the reason why my reader doesn't respond to keypresses!
I deassembled the reader and found that some pins of the keyboard connector on the motherboard were broken.
I will try to fix this issue, but i'm not sure whether my eyes are good enough :-)
I will keep you informed!

Jens