Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
New Sony reader in August?

Pardon me if this is known information, but I thought I would pass it along.

While talking with the manager at Books-a-Million, he told me that Sony is coming out with a new ereader in August. He mentioned that it's going to have wifi, bigger screen, and more memory. When I asked him if it would have a touchscreen, he said "no". When asked what the price point would be, he said "most likely $300", which might explain why they are trying to clear out the PRS-505's now.

Does anyone know any more about this? I thought these were all rumors at this point. If that's the case, I may wait on buying the older sony reader.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Very Interesting. I think I might do some searching and see if I can find anything.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
..and they will be way better than the Kindle.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
That would explain the large price drop in the Sony-505s in recent weeks.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Oooh. If the screen is as good as the 505 but bigger, I'm gonna get me one!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Oooh. If the screen is as good as the 505 but bigger, I'm gonna get me one!
Not before I do! Sounds cool
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry to be cynical, but it is VANISHINGLY unlikely that a bookstore manager will have any "inside knowledge" of a new Sony device which has not previously appeared on sites like MR. Since we have heard nothing concrete about new Sony devices (other than speculation that Sony, like everyone else, will release a device with a 9.7" screen), I would take this with a very, very large "pinch of salt".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Does anyone know any more about this? I thought these were all rumors at this point. If that's the case, I may wait on buying the older sony reader.
The only piece of information we have is a Digitimes interview with PVI chairman Scott Liu who said:

"Sony is also expected to introduce larger e-book readers later this year to compete for market share."

So, really, nothing of substance. I hope we'll have more concrete news of this new Sony reader soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
which might explain why they are trying to clear out the PRS-505's now.
I would expect that sony would not dismiss the prs-505, it's more likely that they will keep the 505 and, at the same time, introduce a new 9,7" device (like Amazon did).
The recent price drop of the 505 doesn't necessarily mean that a new bigger device is going to be released.

Last edited by olis; 06-11-2009 at 06:10 AM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
What price drop?

The PRS-505s at Sony Style are still $299.99. The only price drop I heard about was the discounted readers at Borders. I get their newsletter, and they had a coupon for $100 off the reader. Apparently they had a larger than expected response at the Border's online store, and they stopped accepting the coupons early. I think you can still use the coupon at a store that has a reader in stock.

I got a new version of the newsletter today with the coupon amended to say "No Rainchecks." Apparently they just wanted to move a few readers and were willing to take a loss on a few, but they can't get unlimited supplies at a cheap enough price to be able to honor rainchecks.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with whether they'll offer a bigger reader. Just wondering if I missed something about other price drops....
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From the-ebook.org:
Quote:
The store manager at Borders said Sony won't ship any more PRS-505 to them. All 505s are sold out, only 700s left.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #11
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
But if you look at the Sony Style site, they have 5 models of the 505 in stock and ready to ship by 6/12/09 if you order today, and at the full $299 price.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Of course Sony is coming out with a new reader-because I'm on the verge of committing to buying one. This is exactly what I predicted in my "Is it even a good time to be buying an e-reader" thread. I'll pick one up and *poof* Sony will announce a new one that is the same dimensions but comes with a larger screen and has e-ink device that is so awesome that there's no flash!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
But if you look at the Sony Style site, they have 5 models of the 505 in stock and ready to ship by 6/12/09 if you order today, and at the full $299 price.
Not to mention the fact that the 505 is still being actively rolled out across Europe.

A larger-screen device certainly doesn't mean the "demise" of the 505. It's a totally different market. I didn't stop using my CyBook Gen3 when I bought my DR1000 - I use them for different purposes, in different situations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If there's anything announced this year, I'd expect it on Oct 2nd, as that's been when they've announced the 505 (in 2007) & the 700 (in 2009).

My guess - Sony PRS-900 - a 9.7 screen version, at $449

Last edited by gwynevans; 06-11-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fix mis-spelling of 'they've'
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
For those of you on the fence about buying now or waiting, you can simply wait forever for the next best device, or get one now and enjoy.

I see the plethora of ebook readers available now and those rumored/stated to be coming out...I still love my Sony 505. I bought it 6 weeks ago to replace my 700 which I still have but do not like so much.

The 505 is rock solid. Form Factor and usability is 100%. Easy to take with everyday. I am never without my reader.

So, will I ever buy a new one? Absolutely. But buying the 505 now is STILL a great idea.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote