Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Ebooks on bittorrent!

It'd be nice if there was a way to add all books and upload them to bittorrent.
That on itself is fairly easy to do, but seeing the increasing number of people,and books being added and changed, to always have the latest could be an issue.
Especially if some books get corrected 2, 3, or 4 times..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I would be extremely reluctant to see my uploads on a torrent site, in company with so much illicit material. I don't even have torrent software on any of my computers.
Surely it is not a such a hardship to visit this site and get the latest versions from us?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I would be extremely reluctant to see my uploads on a torrent site, in company with so much illicit material. I don't even have torrent software on any of my computers.
This is an incorrect assumption that may people have. Bittorrent is a protocol for distributed transfers which allow a small company or organization to distribute files to a large audience. Mobilread could run a torrent tracker for ebooks and be 100% legit.

That said most of the ebooks are very small files and this is probably not an issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Indeed, Personally the only benefit I would see of having Mobileread's entire collection available as Torrent would be if someone wanted an Archival copy, or was planning to be off-line for an extended period of time.

I'm not saying that some people may not want it, but I think the number may be quiet limited.

And as mentioned there is the Issue of New books being added Daily, and updated Versions of older works being added, keeping the torrent Up to date would be difficult.

Still, Torrents of Individual Authors, or series may work, but would probably require a lot of work.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
And as mentioned there is the Issue of New books being added Daily, and updated Versions of older works being added, keeping the torrent Up to date would be difficult.
Isn't there an RSS feed for the ebooks? That would give you notices of any new books and changes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't there an RSS feed for the ebooks? That would give you notices of any new books and changes.

BOb
There is, it's here http://feeds.mobileread.com/mr/ebooks
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I meant keeping the Torrent itself current, as If you add any new files you have to create anew torrent, and unless you seed both, you may leave some of the people downloading it high and dry.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My personal preference would be that people came to MR to download books, and hence I'd rather that there not be a Torrent of our books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My personal preference would be that people came to MR to download books, and hence I'd rather that there not be a Torrent of our books.
I would agree. There are lots of reasons to control the release of books that someone has put so much effort in. Shipping them off to bit torrent would lose any any information about how many had been downloaded for example which is good feedback to the person posting the eBook to decide what future books to post.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Well, if you're asking for input on this, I vote no. Although there may be legitimate value to torrent sites, I, too, would be most unhappy to see our library associated with a technology which is so widely used for illegitimate purposes. If it is done, please let us know in advance.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Not a good idea in my opinion. So, if I had a vote, which I don't, I would vote no.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
One argument for is that it saves time. It is probably easier to download all the books and then take the 20 books you wanted from the download then downloading 20 books separately.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Then perhaps a block download feature (i.e. a list of books) might be a better feature. I respect the wish to gather the info of books posted on MR downloads.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Then perhaps a block download feature (i.e. a list of books) might be a better feature. I respect the wish to gather the info of books posted on MR downloads.
Yes, downloading all books from one author would be a very nice feature.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Block downloading could be what I mean indeed.

As far as torrents and illegal,that's exactly the same as :
- Money and black money
- immigrants and illegal
- Workers and workers without a work permit
- Cars driving 50 in a 50 zone, and cars driving 90 in a 50 zone

Just because the opportunity is there, does not mean it's illegal, or should even be seen as illegal.
Originally bittorrent has been created to share larger files or archives amongst many peers.
It can be hosted from a website like this, and does not need to be posted in non-legitimate torrent websites.

Bittorrent also has advanced tracking capabilities so, there's no problem to get an accurate number on how many people downloaded them.

The only thing you can get is that someone will publish the torrent on other trackers.(Which they still can do downloading all LRF books from this site).

As far as updating a torrent with newer books,you just need to download a newer torrent. As long as when a newer torrent becomes available, it uses the same directory structure and files, you will not really lose any data (appart from the downloaded files that have been updated).
All files that have been modified will be redownloaded again, Bittorrent automatically recognizes this, and all files that have not been updated will not be downloaded again by bittorrent.

Bittorrenting a book is probably ridiculous indeed, since most books are below 2MB.
It would only make sense from 20 or more books,and even more preferably from 100MBand up (at least about 100 or more books)
Good torrent files generally are archives aimed towards 600-650-700MB and 4,30GB,for CD and DVD archive.

I understand that unlike a 600MB movie which takes 1,5 hours to watch, 600Mb of books will take a long time to read, and that many will not download them to read them all.

So, it's probably better to have block downloads.

The only con with that is that you might need 23 out of 25 books, and each time download a couple you already have.

Block downloads could be author wise, time wise (latest created/updated) or genre wise.
To get them sorted in those directories would probably need a good XML or PHP programmer to create the possibility to do that.

Another possibility might be a website,with a bunch of books, sorted by name, pub. date or genre, and checkboxes next to it.

And if you know a good Java programmer he could even create a program that downloads while you browse through the list selecting the files you want.

Anyways just giving my .2ct here...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote