Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #196
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
The problem is, the mod sits at a lower level than the kobo reader app (so it should work with any application):
  1. Kobo Reader App (nickel)
  2. QT User Interface Framework
  3. Driver
  4. Hardware

My mods scans the communication between 2) and 3) and makes changes when the nightmode is activated.

Oh okay...I see how that could be a problem.

I think this feature really needs to get added officially by the Kobo devs...it so handy at night.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #197
KevinNash
KevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Have fun!
Hello

First of all, thank you very much for this awesome mod

I don't succeed to change refresh rate, it stays to 4.

If I change in nightmode.ini to 6 for example, that doesn't work, the refresh is still at 4 and nightmode.ini setting revert to 4 by himself.

I have a Kobo Aura HD last firmware 2.8.1

What am I doing wrong ?
KevinNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #198
ZipMaker
Ateş Sönmez
ZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello thank you for this mod.
Can we uninstall this mod easily?
ZipMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #199
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The config file is only read on startup, so you need to reboot after you make the cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash View Post
If I change in nightmode.ini to 6 for example, that doesn't work, the refresh is still at 4 and nightmode.ini setting revert to 4 by himself.
The config file is only read on startup, so you need to reboot after you make the change.
The revert happens this way: you have retainStateOverRestart set to 'yes' so every time you trigger nightmode the current state has to be written into the config file. In fact, the whole file is rewritten so it also writes refreshScreenPages with the old value it read as you started your Kobo the last time.
I will note it for the next version to detect usb access and reread the file then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipMaker View Post
Can we uninstall this mod easily?
Yes, simply use the KoboRoot.tgz from the uninstaller folder.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #200
KevinNash
KevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolate

Quote:
The config file is only read on startup, so you need to reboot after you make the change.

I will note it for the next version to detect usb access and reread the file then.
Works like a charm, thank you very much and thanks in advance for the usb modification
Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #201
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Yoq, Hi Kevin,

It's the little frenchy... do you remember me?

I've tried to increase the page refresh like here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=221 but the screen continous to "flash" when I turn the sixth page in "day mode".

With "night mode", it's on the fourth page... I've tried too to change the value of "refreshScreenPages" in "nightmode.ini" (I've put refreshScreenPages=99) but I still have got the same problem (the screen continues to flash after the fourth page).

Have you got this "bug" or am I alone ?

NB : when I say the screen "flashes", I wanna say that I see a white page in night mode a black page and in day mode.

Last edited by akorx; 08-25-2013 at 02:04 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #202
KevinNash

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi Yoq, Hi Kevin,

It's the little frenchy... do you remember me?
Hi akorx, I am a frenchy too

For nightmode page refresh change :

Exit nightmode on the Kobo, USB connect, edit nightmode.ini refresh value, I suggest no more than 6, with more you will have ghosting.
Full reboot the Kobo and normally refresh rate must be changed after reboot.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #203
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Hi KevinNash, hi Yoq,

By default the value is set to 4 in the nightmode.ini file. If I change it to 99 and save the file, it's ok... but if I switch to day mode and night mode after, the value comes back to 4 in the file ! So I've tried to set the retainStateOverRestart to "no", and now it's always Ok (after reboot and after a switching of mode).

Last edited by akorx; 08-25-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #204
KevinNash

Yes, I tried with 99 and that worked

FR : Oui, j'ai essayé avec 99 et ça fonctionnait
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #205
akorx
Addict

Thanks for your help KevinNash !

Yoq, what the difference between retainStateOverRestart=yes and retainStateOverRestart=no and what are the consequences if the NO value is left in the file?

=> Does it mean that if I change a value when the kobo is on (for example the light level is set to 6 at start with file parameters and I change it to 10 with the progress bar) and reboot or switch the mode (day or night), the value won't be save and so will be reset to value that appears in the configuration files (in my example : 6) ?

Last edited by akorx; 08-25-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #206
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New build so manual changes are not overwritten.

The config file looks like this:
Code:
[state]
invertActive                   = no
retainStateOverRestart         = yes

[control]
longPressDurationMS            = 400

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages             = 6
The value "invertActive" determines whether the Kobo starts with inversion activated. If "retainStateOverRestart" is set to yes, the value of "invertActive" is updated every time the state changes.

With build9, after a change in the config file, trigger nightmode to reload the configuration.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-nightmode_build9.zip (11.2 KB, 337 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #207
akorx
Addict

Hi Yoq,

I've tried but now each time the file comes back to default after reload of night mode or reboot ! I've tried with "retainStateOverRestart = no" and "retainStateOverRestart = yes" and it's the same !

With v8 and "retainStateOverRestart = no" the settings were keeped (for example refreshScreenPages = 90) !!! and it's what I wanted !

Is there a bug with v9 or something that I have not understand ?

NB : I've uninstall v8 before install v9.

Last edited by akorx; 08-26-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #208
akorx
Addict

I've redone the parameters in my nightmode.ini like this :

# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = yes
retainStateOverRestart = yes

[control]
longPressDurationMS = 400

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 90

I don't understand why it"s what was not ok last time (the file have been saved because I had verified). Now it's work well !!!

Nice work again Yoq ! really big thanks !!!

Last edited by akorx; 08-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #209
akorx
Addict

Hi Yoq,

I have read several pages (30 or 40 pages) yesterday evening with night mode activated and refreshScreenPages = 90 and I've seen no ghosting... really nothing !

Perhaps it depends of books because mine has got a few small frames (every 10 or 12 pages) that take a little part of the screen and that refresh the screen behind them (sometimes they are at top and sometimes at bottom). So after a few pages the screen is redrawn and perhaps it's the reason why I think ghosting has dissappeared.

Have you changed something in v9 about ghosting?

Last edited by akorx; 08-27-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #210
yoq
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Have you changed something in v9 about ghosting?
No, nothing
I suspect it depends on the individual device, temperature, etc...

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch