Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Love my new paperwhite!

Well I have been using my Kindle Keyboard for a few years now and it has been a faithful companion. I had been wanting to upgrade to the paperwhite but was really reluctant as I've been reading that lots of people have been having issues with screen quality and then also with sideloading books they were having issues with the Pdoc tags and no covers. I use Calibre extensively and purchase books from all different stores so have lots of books to sideload. I was excited about covers showing up so wanted to make sure they would look good.
Anyways, I got my paperwhite and amazon slim case and I have to admit my fears were unnecessary. The screen looks great. There is some slight shadows at the bottom between the lights, but nothing intrusive and it doesn't reach the text. There are no color blobs or uneveness that I can tell, or my husband can tell. I side loaded about 40 books out of calibre on to the paperwhite and all covers show up perfect. I read for a couple hours yesterday, and then read some more in the evening relying more on the light. I have to say no complaint I wasn't sure I'd like the touch screen as I liked the buttons on my KK but I have an Ipad so am used to a touch interface, and am pleasantly surprised that the paperwhite screen dosen't attract fingerprints like the Ipad.
I got the amazon case in fuschia and really like it. It is way smaller than my old medge case for my KK which also held my illuminator light. I like how opening it turns the kindle on. Still debating whether to remove the ads, to make it even more streamline. Overall great product and my new favorite toy!
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Congrats! Mine is to shipped this coming week. Finally I wont feel so left out anymore.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm glad you like it! I love mine! It is definitely the best e-ink ereader I have ever used. I might pay to remove the adds, too. I'm thinking about it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congrats, Blossom, I hadn't read that you ordered one! I hope you like it as much as I like mine!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Congrats, Blossom, I hadn't read that you ordered one! I hope you like it as much as I like mine!
I've just order it... It was that 40% off Voucher that push me over the edge. So I ordered a PW and got the Cover for 40% off. I forgot to put it as a gift though so I have deregister it from hubby's account and register it to mine when it gets here.

I've been having trouble reading on my K4B. It's so cold here the screen stays at a greenish\dirty color for about an hour before it finally warms up. I think our Heat Pump is going out. I've been reading on my Tablets instead.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

You were lucky to get the cover at a good discount. It's a nice cover, but $40 is way too much.

I don't have the K4 to compare, but compared to my K3 and my Sony T1, the paperwhite is the best. The light is amazing. So many places in my house, like here at my desktop, the lighting is very poor. The paperwhite really comes in handy!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I am loving my PW too so far, it has many advantages over my KK even if I would still like some kind of physical page turn as you can't beat the comfort of resting your thumb on the page advance button and needing negligible pressure to turn pages.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl351 View Post
Still debating whether to remove the ads, to make it even more streamline. Overall great product and my new favorite toy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm glad you like it! I love mine! It is definitely the best e-ink ereader I have ever used. I might pay to remove the adds, too. I'm thinking about it.
Don't just think about it, just do it and pay to remove ads. The longer you wait, the more money Amazon makes on showing you the ads, but you won't get a discount on removing the ads. I don't even know where my on and off button is, my cover takes care of that. Open cover, boom ready - that is what I love about it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I've been having trouble reading on my K4B. It's so cold here the screen stays at a greenish\dirty color for about an hour before it finally warms up. I think our Heat Pump is going out. I've been reading on my Tablets instead.
That's interesting about the K4 when it's cold. I haven't experienced that with my touch or my kindle keyboard, although I keep the temp pretty warm in the winter. Glad you took the plunge on the PW! Good luck with it. It's become my main e-reader now. I look forward to your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Don't just think about it, just do it and pay to remove ads. The longer you wait, the more money Amazon makes on showing you the ads, but you won't get a discount on removing the ads. I don't even know where my on and off button is, my cover takes care of that. Open cover, boom ready - that is what I love about it.
I agree!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That's interesting about the K4 when it's cold. I haven't experienced that with my touch or my kindle keyboard, although I keep the temp pretty warm in the winter. Glad you took the plunge on the PW! Good luck with it. It's become my main e-reader now. I look forward to your thoughts.
All my eInk Kindles do it but it is cold in here! Last Winter we didn't have this problem but last summer they had to put Freon in when the Central Air quit working and so It's probably needs more or we need a new unit. I keep telling hubby to get the Apt. Manager to look at it.

I'm hoping the PW light will help my eyes as right now I am using my KF more and more.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've converted to Kindle from Nook with this. It's just hands down technologically better.

I'm still messing with it, but it's been my favorite eInk device so far!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
It's definitely a great product. I was showing to my parents tonight and it seems to be much more intuitive to them than even the Kindle Keyboard. I remember first getting that a few years ago, and when showing my dad the kindle keyboard, he kept trying to tap the screen to advance pages and navigate menus lol. I showed him this one tonight and he was able to get around easily because of the covers and tapping to advance pages seemed natural. My mom is still one of those "real book" devotees though. I will eventually break her. Especially since I now have a kindle keyboard free for use ha ha!
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
So glad to see so many posts from readers happy with the Paperwhite. I love mine, and don't have any issues with the screen or with using Calibre. It is worlds better than even my much loved KT. Happy reading!
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I am loving my PW too so far, it has many advantages over my KK even if I would still like some kind of physical page turn as you can't beat the comfort of resting your thumb on the page advance button and needing negligible pressure to turn pages.
Every time I see a display model the urge to buy one gets a little stronger (all the screens have looked terrific on the display models), but I'm content to wait for now and see if they release an updated model in future with page turn buttons included, I agree with your sentiment on the comfort/ease of use with the page turn buttons on the Kindle Keyboard.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The addition of page turn buttons seems unlikely. I'd like to see increased storage. 2 GB is ridiculous. Some book hoarders *ahem* want to carry 5 years worth of reading in their bags!