Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Question Need to replace e-reader - recommendations?

I had an Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro and loved it for the following reasons:

- I could control the folder structure and organize files the way I wanted.
- I could read a wide variety of file formats.
- The battery lasted a long time.
- The e-reader did not reserve a bunch of hard drive space for online purchases, as I mostly read classics, public domain books, and fanfiction that I download and put on myself.

Other features or missing features did not bother me as much, as these were the crucial ones that I needed. For instance, I couldn't care less that it didn't have wireless--but it would bug me to death to not be able to connect it via USB and organize everything just the way I wanted. I helped set up my grandma's Nook Simple Touch and was annoyed that it seemed to reserve a portion of the hard drive for downloads from the B&N store. I didn't care for being "strongly encouraged" to use a particular store.

However, my EZ Reader has been having issues and is probably dead at this point, so I need to look into buying a new e-reader. I am not partial to any brand, except that I am not a fan of Apple products (I dislike companies that like to control every aspect of how the users use the product).

What e-readers would you recommend that would have these same features?

- control of file structure
- wide variety of formats
- ability to expand file size with SD card (and not reserving a bunch of hdd space for files that it thinks you're going to buy from its own store like the Nook does)
- e-Ink, as LCD battery does not last a long while
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You won't get quite as many formats supported, but IIRC readers from Onyx have what you're asking for in features. Stuff from PocketBook should have what you want too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Ooh, yes, from what I can tell, Onyx is like Astak except better, lol. After some research, I'm sold on that one. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now I am struggling to figure out which of their products would be best. Price is a big issue with me (I've been saving for a new computer, this will eat into that), and while I see prices less than $200 quoted occasionally here and there, I can't find anything less than $330 for purchase. Should I post in the Onyx forum about it, then?
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post
Should I post in the Onyx forum about it, then?
That's probably a good place to start. I've been kind of eyeing an i62HD from them, but haven't spent any time researching possible dealers yet.

There is a dealer in Germany who posts here on MR (Booxtor) and I may look at getting one from his store...
http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html

EDIT: Looks like with shipping to the US I'd be around €167,44 which would be about $221.75

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-28-2012 at 12:23 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
When I bought my i62HD there was a promotion code in the page [1] (SHIP4FREE) with which the shipping from ereader-store.de to US was free. Is has disappeared now :S But you can ask in the Onyx forum...

I have bought my Boox on Booxtor's store and I'm very happy with my decission. He is an active member of the forum and publishes periodic firmware updates.

[1] http://onyx-boox.us/
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote