Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
kah89
kah89 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does enTourage Pocket eDGe Support Arabic in ebook reader ?

HI

i want to buy enTourage Pocket eDGe in this link

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/defaul...tablet+ereader

and i live in egypt and i want to know if i can read the arabic books or not ?

thanx in advance
kah89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi kah89 this is the Pocketbook forum, not the Pocket eDGe forum.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. I'm not sure if the eInk part of the Pocket Edge is able to read arabic books, I would assume no. For the lcd part, maybe there are some android reader apps you can download that are able. Maybe it's best to ask in the appropriate forum.

To a moderator: could you please move this thread to the Entourage Edge forum? Thank you very much!
[mod: Now moved.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-23-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah89 View Post
HI

i want to buy enTourage Pocket eDGe in this link

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/defaul...tablet+ereader

and i live in egypt and i want to know if i can read the arabic books or not ?

thanx in advance
Not sure, but here are a few threads inquiring about the same thing
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=arabic

Remember, try a search 1st... someone may have already asked the same question.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
As I understand it, a .pdf is an image, right? So it shouldn't matter whether the image is of English or Arabic, the eink should be able to display it. Similarly if an epub is published in Arabic it should display properly . . . yes?

Good luck and welcome, kah89.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Similarly if an epub is published in Arabic it should display properly . . . yes?

No. Right to left languages may (but need not) be a problem. Not every epub reader is capable to display them. You're right with pdf, this is a workaround to read texts in Arabic although you should prepare your pdf files that they fit a 6" device..
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
As I understand it, a .pdf is an image, right? So it shouldn't matter whether the image is of English or Arabic, the eink should be able to display it. Similarly if an epub is published in Arabic it should display properly . . . yes?

Sorry Filark, not all PDFs are static images - they may be but don't have to be. If you make a PDF by scanning pages then it is a static image, BUT if you make a PDF using something like Libre Office and its create PDF option then it is not static and the text will reflow to fit your zoom and page size.

With an ePub it will depend if the ePub has the necessary fonts embedded or the reader is capable of using external fonts - of course, assuming the required font is available.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
kah89
kah89 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hi kah89 this is the Pocketbook forum, not the Pocket eDGe forum.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. I'm not sure if the eInk part of the Pocket Edge is able to read arabic books, I would assume no. For the lcd part, maybe there are some android reader apps you can download that are able. Maybe it's best to ask in the appropriate forum.

To a moderator: could you please move this thread to the Entourage Edge forum? Thank you very much!
[mod: Now moved.]
Ok Sorry 4 that thnx )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Not sure, but here are a few threads inquiring about the same thing

Remember, try a search 1st... someone may have already asked the same question.
thnx tekknogenius
Quote:

Thank you Filark it's great to know that but i had to ask a question if the pdf was static images can i make zoom in n out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No. Right to left languages may (but need not) be a problem. Not every epub reader is capable to display them. You're right with pdf, this is a workaround to read texts in Arabic although you should prepare your pdf files that they fit a 6" device..
thnx billi i wanna know about the zoom in function ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Sorry Filark, not all PDFs are static images - they may be but don't have to be. If you make a PDF by scanning pages then it is a static image, BUT if you make a PDF using something like Libre Office and its create PDF option then it is not static and the text will reflow to fit your zoom and page size.

With an ePub it will depend if the ePub has the necessary fonts embedded or the reader is capable of using external fonts - of course, assuming the required font is available.

it won't be a problem i could convert any pdf i want to static images pdf but i need to know about the zoom in function will it be supported with static images ?
kah89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Kah89, There are several things you should be aware of with PDFs. Static images, i.e. scanned pages, can be zoomed but that just makes scrolling round the page very difficult. Non static images can be zoomed and there is no need for panning as the text reflows to fit the zoom level.

If you are looking at PDFs that contain diagrams and/or mathematical equations then those would be better converted to ePub format - which is what we do with service manuals, it also allows me to have the text on the reader screen and the diagram on the tablet screen.

One other thing I should mention if you are going to be reading technical manuals or textbooks, you should seriously consider getting a full sized eDGe - it will give a much better reading experience.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
QueenKate
QueenKate began at the beginning.

Device: Edge

Hi All,

I waited two years to get the money together to buy an Edge because I didn't really want an Ipad, and bloody hell I find this really cheap one on E bay and the day it arrives the friggin company goes under, and I'm so so crushed for them, because seriously this is so cool and so so sad that they got trodden on.....

Any help I will be listening in ......

Kate
QueenKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Sorry Filark, not all PDFs are static images - they may be but don't have to be. .
Yeah. And it makes a huge difference being able to reflow the pdf text instead of displaying a pdf made with static images, try to zooom them and see the difference. Images can be a real hassle.

Plus, if you annotate this kind of pdfs, you'll have lots of troubles, as the lines you draw will stay in the exact position where you've put em, even if you scroll up-down and navigate the page.

edit: like kah89 wrote above!
edit II:

see these examples:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1177115...eat=directlink

on my Pocket here I'm dealing with the worst case you can meet: pdf displayed in double page, and made as static image. Note what happens when, after annotating on the left side of the page (image #6, greek), I go displaying the right page (image #7, deutsch).

If the pdf would contain text, I could work far better, although the epub is the best to work with.

The same work of above is done here with the big edge:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1177115...eat=directlink

Last edited by lorenzoens; 01-28-2012 at 02:44 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote