Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
TOC in Sigil

Hi,

I just tried Sigil last week and have been loving it! I haven't had any issues outside of one. For all of my TOC items, there's a "<br/> html mark on each. It's not a huge deal, it just doesn't look nice. Is there a way to remove it?
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Hi,

I just tried Sigil last week and have been loving it! I haven't had any issues outside of one. For all of my TOC items, there's a "<br/> html mark on each. It's not a huge deal, it just doesn't look nice. Is there a way to remove it?
Simple. Get the newest version. I have made an issue and Valloric has adressed this bug already. Shaould work with Sigil 1.1
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have intentional <br /> tags in some of my chapter titles to make them look nice on the page while preserving the full titles. However the TOC generation keeps these tags which show up as box in Sigil and show up in ADE by overwriting the line again. Could you please remove these tags during toc generation? I am running 0.1.2. The box showing TOC says that it is an edit box. Is there plans allowing editing? or can I do it now some way?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have intentional <br /> tags in some of my chapter titles to make them look nice on the page while preserving the full titles. However the TOC generation keeps these tags which show up as box in Sigil and show up in ADE by overwriting the line again. Could you please remove these tags during toc generation? I am running 0.1.2. The box showing TOC says that it is an edit box. Is there plans allowing editing? or can I do it now some way?
Hm. Tags in heading content should be removed already (the newlines are preserved though).

Create an issue and attach a minimal file that demonstrates this problem. Also, please be more specific. I have no idea what you mean by "the box showing TOC says that it is an edit box." What box?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Hm. Tags in heading content should be removed already (the newlines are preserved though).

Create an issue and attach a minimal file that demonstrates this problem. Also, please be more specific. I have no idea what you mean by "the box showing TOC says that it is an edit box." What box?
The box is the one that appears with the TOC in it. It appears when I select TOC from the tools menu item. By the way, is this generated every time I bring it up? If so perhaps there could be another way to view the TOC and that permits following the links.

I will create an issue once I figure out how. Preserving the new lines in the TOC is what is causing the problem. They are being shown in ADE on top of the next line of TOC entry.

Dale
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Upon inspection of the toc.ncx file I found many hard returns within the <text> statements. Some were caused by my <br/> commands and some seem to be in there just because the program decided to break the line for some reason.

I believe there should never be an hard returns (newlines) with the <text> area of any autogenerated TOC.ncx file. There is no way the program can determine how this will be used or displayed. However, if the toc is directly edited by the user then perhaps the newlines could be preserved since the user would have put them in.

Dale
Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Upon inspection of the toc.ncx file I found many hard returns within the <text> statements. Some were caused by my <br/> commands and some seem to be in there just because the program decided to break the line for some reason.
If you have newlines in your headings, they are currently preserved (this will be fixed so that they are removed). But Sigil will not add newlines to the <text> elements if there were none present.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Valloric

Quote:
I believe there should never be an hard returns (newlines) with the <text> area of any autogenerated TOC.ncx file. There is no way the program can determine how this will be used or displayed.
Yes there is. It's very simple: if the text field has a newline, then that newline should be displayed when the TOC is displayed in the Reading System. So the TOC entry should be displayed in two lines, just like Sigil's TOC editor displays them, for instance.

The problem is in ADE. It is naive about users not putting newlines in the TOC entries, which is silly. I should be able to instruct the Reading System to display my entry in multiple lines.

But I'll be changing Sigil's behaviour so it placates ADE. It's buggy but it's the market leader and unfortunately that means others have to play by its rules... and bugs.

EDIT: The issue for this is here. It has been fixed.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-19-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Yes there is. It's very simple: if the text field has a newline, then that newline should be displayed when the TOC is displayed in the Reading System. So the TOC entry should be displayed in two lines, just like Sigil's TOC editor displays them, for instance.

The problem is in ADE. It is naive about users not putting newlines in the TOC entries, which is silly. I should be able to instruct the Reading System to display my entry in multiple lines.

But I'll be changing Sigil's behaviour so it placates ADE. It's buggy but it's the market leader and unfortunately that means others have to play by its rules... and bugs.

EDIT: The issue for this is here. It has been fixed.
Thanks for fixing the but I disagree that all newlines in a chapter title should be preserved. For example I have a chapter that looks like (for style reasons):

Chapter 1
This is the chapter title

Now I do this with breaks to preserve the fact that the full chapter title includes both lines but I would not want the TOC to display this as two lines in a book or in a ebook because it would make the TOC twice as long and hard to read for no good reason. Unfortunately I cannot specify the formatting of this for the TOC separately.

Anyway, thanks again.
Dale