Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
squawker
squawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-500
Question Formatting ebooks for PRS

Is there an easy way to remove page numbers and chapter heading/author info from pages in abbyfinereader or otherwise? I assume there is, but can't find mention of this anywhere.

Thanks.
squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
hn_88
Connoisseur
hn_88 doesn't litterhn_88 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What I do is to choose the area to scan (or do OCR) excluding the header and footer parts...
hn_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
squawker
squawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-books

Do you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn_88
What I do is to choose the area to scan (or do OCR) excluding the header and footer parts...
Do you do this for each page? Or is there a global setting you can use?

Edit: The problem I'm having is that book designer seems to think that the page numbers are new headings of some sort, and they are screwing up the formatting of the ebook. There MUST be a way to get finereader to just read the main body of the text and not the page number info, but I don't know what it is.

Last edited by squawker; 01-07-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I find the answer to this problem is not to scan the headers in in the first place. (Page numbers I like to remove manually because they aid me in proof-reading). But you don't have to scan footers containing page numbers in either.

The trick is to arrange the settings on your scanner to scan only a specific area. Do this using the Abbyy FR interface before you start. i.e. If you have a page that is 8 inches in height it is a waste of time to scan the whole A4 scanner bed. Assuming you are going to scan in portrait mode then if the 8 inch page includes say, a 1 inch header, arrange the height of the scan to be 7 inches with a 1 inch Top indent (AFR scanner settings).
If you also have a 1 inch footer then I would arrange the scanner settings in AFR thus:

Page height: 6 inches
Top indent: 1 inch

The remaining 1 inch footer containing the page numbers will not be scanned.

Once these settings are done they remain in place until you change them again. You don't have to set them for each page of the book (unless you want to).

Thereafter, you must ensure that you place the book on the scanner glass in the same position for each page scan.

Measurements for the width of a book can be set in a similar fashion.

Another helpful tip is to start background recognition in AFR before you commence. This way the scanned blocks will show exactly what is being OCR'd.

Last edited by Moonraker; 01-07-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
squawker

That's a great suggestion. Can this method work with an automatic feeder?

And how about when you have a document already scanned and in pdf form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
The trick is to arrange the settings on your scanner to scan only a specific area. Do this using the Abbyy FR interface before you start. i.e. If you have a page that is 8 inches in height it is a waste of time to scan the whole A4 scanner bed. Assuming you are going to scan in portrait mode then if the 8 inch page includes say, a 1 inch header, arrange the height of the scan to be 7 inches with a 1 inch Top indent (AFR scanner settings).
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I don't have any experience with an ADF. However, if it can be recognised by Abbyy Fine Reader, then I would think yes.

Again, I don't have any experience with PDF pages that have already been scanned too large. I mostly scan OCR not Images. However, if you have saved the AFR batch for them you could re-open it in AFR and draw new text or image blocks for each page. (Toolbar - red block = image, green block = text) Before sending the pages to Acobat Reader you must alter the format settings in AFR for PDF. (Tools/Options/Save/Format settings/PDF

uncheck "keep original size" and enter in a new custom size.

Another way which is probably easier if you already have a PDF file, is to open this in Abbyy (File/Open PDF image).
Draw one new red image block around all the items on a page. (make sure you tell Abby to "Read" it). Repeat for all your pages.
Then before sending all the pages to Acrobat Reader alter the PDF Format Settings as outlined above.

I am not conversant with making PDF files and usually stick to OCR for my novels. Maybe some other member can suggest an easier way.

Good luck.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote