Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
stevemc
stevemc began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Loading forever

I finally got my prs-300 this afternoon and have run into problems already

First charge was fine, it powered on, I was able to load a book and flick pages in the reader. I turned it off for a while and when I came back to it I can't get it to power on properly.

It will sit at the loading screen for ages (twenty minutes so far). I can reset power if I hold the power button for ten seconds or so, and it will power back on to the loading screen, although I don't think I can power it off. If I connect it to my laptop it is detected and I can browse the folders on the device and see it in calibre. The device also shows that it is connected to USB.

I have deleted the book I loaded and still haven't had any luck.

Scouring the web hasn't turned up anything useful, so I'm hoping one of you guys can help out before I have to arrange for it to go back.

On the plus side, it looked great while it was working

Further update - now it isn't being detected by the laptop at all and I can't power it off.

Last edited by stevemc; 01-05-2010 at 01:02 PM.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Steve.

Hopefully someone from the Sony forums will log on soon with help.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
stevemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Steve.
Thanks. I hope so, I would hate to have to send it off for repair after just receiving it.
I was able to reboot it again and tried connecting it to an xp laptop. It was detected and I installed the sony software, but when I open it I get the error "Operation failed due to an error". The reader is reacting and saying "Do not disconnect" while the software is open though. So maybe all isn't lost.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello and welcome, Stevemc.
I'm not sure I understand your problem, but have you tried resetting your reader? (with the reset, not by powering off and on). Many weird problems have been solved this way.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
stevemc

I've attempted a reset by pressing the reset button holding the power button until it resets but it makes no difference.
The problem is, that it has been showing me a loading screen for the last couple of hours. It says "Loading..." at the bottom, I can see the battery indicator (full) bottom left. Middle of the screen I can see a circle with two arrows which are turning (slowly).
I can see the home menu behind these, but it looks greyed out and I can't make any selections anyway. None of the buttons respond.
I have left it like this for an hour at one stage, but it never fully boots.

When I connect it to a computer, the prs300 shows the usb screen and I can browse the device from my laptop, but once disconnected I am straight back to "Loading" again.
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Weird... How about a hard reset?

According to sony:

Quote:
WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Power off the Reader.
2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the down arrow of the directional button and the 0 button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
stevemc

I'm actually trying to do a hard reset now, but it doesn't want to turn off. I'll keep trying, it did this earlier.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
omk3
Wizard

Good luck. If it won't turn off, I would try pressing reset while it's on...
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
stevemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Good luck. If it won't turn off, I would try pressing reset while it's on...
If only it were that simple

Edit : It's turned off now but won't turn on! I'm going to charge it for a while and try again.

Edit2 : finally got to the hard reset screen, but it has frozen again and won't do anything when I press 5. I can't even power it off. Looks like it will have to go back

Last edited by stevemc; 01-05-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
You know what, I had that problem too. Not as severe as yours, but it still sucked. I added about 21 books onto my 300 (all my favorites) and when I went to read one of them, the "loading" (2 arrows in a circle turning slowly) screen took forever. After a couple of minutes, the reader would shut down, almost like it was doing its own little soft reset b/c when it would power back on it went to the last book I had read which wasn't my immediate last action on the reader. I would go back to where my books are and try to load the same book. Same thing. Once I did it about three times it finally opened the book up and I haven't had a problem since, although I haven't tried to open another book. I got so frustrated that by the time the book loaded I was already pulling out my 600. Yours sounds a little more complicated than mine but it still sucked. Hope you figure out what the deal is! Oh yeah, if you just bought it you should return it as opposed to sending it in to be repaired. All they're going to do is swap it woth another one. If you decide to send it make sure you backup everything you have on there so it doesn't get lost!

Good luck
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
sickenmcsluggets
sickenmcsluggets began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My prs-300 just did this sort of thing last night. I had it plugged into a Pentium Ubuntu 9.10 machine, and was using Calibre 0.6.13 to transfer a book. After transferring, ejecting, and unplugging, it started fritzing out, stuck in an endless reboot and load loop, frozen. I was horrified. I use mine every day. I tried powering it down, and the reset button, I even took the whole back plate off and disconnected the battery. None of it worked.
Well, I finally connected it to my Windows XP Samsung NC20 and it all of a sudden calmly went to the home screen. Windows didn't recognize it, neither did Calibre or the Sony Software, but it was at the home screen. When I unplugged it from that, it went back to its malfunctioning behavior. I plugged it back in to the XP laptop, and went to the setting options and selected format memory. That worked, and now I have my prs-300 back! I mean, sure, all my books were deleted, but those are all on my PC anyway.
sickenmcsluggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I have occasional similar problems

Maybe once a week so far. It displays the loading symbol and stays there. I try to turn it off, but it won't turn off. After 2 - 5 tries it does shut off, and after that, it works fine. I normally shut the device off when I'm done with it, if that makes a difference.

To me, it sounds like a firmware issue, though I have no way of knowing at this point.

Clearly, this is not an issue that is unique to me or my operation of my unit since this is an issue with several people. I wonder if Sony will step up and do something?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have never had a problem with mine. But, I think most ereaders are a bit on the dodgy side. They appear to be like many portable devices and have the need for a re-boot ever so often to keep them humming.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I have never had a problem with mine. But, I think most ereaders are a bit on the dodgy side. They appear to be like many portable devices and have the need for a re-boot ever so often to keep them humming.
I have only had one issues with mine. I had several books loaded on my reader and it worked fine. I tried loading another book and that baby locked up!...

I deleted that book and everything works great!

Sometimes I think you get a corrupt ebook on your device and it plays havoc on your system. I have had several ereaders and all have had an issue like this.

I do know that some readers suffer with all sorts of problems but I have seen enough to know that some ebooks cause problems.
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
I had this issue with my 300 as well. I tried to open a book (ePub format) and it would stall on the formatting, then reboot. I opened the book in Sigil and it showed a couple formatting errors. The errors appeared to be related to street names, and the error was "missing w" or something along those lines (looked like it was trying to link). I went to the errored lines and manually corrected them (removed the original "w" as the closing "w" was not there), loaded the book back to the 300 and it loaded perfectly on the first shot. {I also had 1 "missing v" error that I corrected, not sure what the v/w formatting is related to}

So I'm thinking that some of these lockups are related to formatting problems and the lack of the software being able to get past them sometimes on initial formatting in the reader.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote