Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Honch
Honch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Overdrive Overseas

I'm thinking about picking up the Sony 300. I live in the States now but there's a high chance that in the next few months I'll be moving back overseas and having spent a small fortune on English books abroad in the past an ebook reader is looking very intriguing. One of the most interesting features for me of the Sony Readers is the ability to check out library ebooks through Overdrive. Does anyone know if I'd be able to use my library card to check out books while I'm overseas? If it checks my IP address would I be able to go through a proxy? Thanks.
Honch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I have used Overdrive for over 3 years, mostly for audiobooks, but since I got my 300, for ebooks. I downloaded from Baghdad with no problem. There are libraries worldwide that use Overdrive, so I don't think you'd have a problem.

http://search.overdrive.com/

On the right side, you can see the countries that have Overdrive. I think all they care about is your library card number.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Honch
Honch began at the beginning.

Device: none
That's excellent news. I'm itching to buy one now but I won't be going back overseas until Spring at the earliest so I think I'll put off buying for as long as I can in the hopes that prices will go down or new features will be added. I'm hoping we see a little post-holiday pricing war. I've also got tons of dead trees lying around that I really should get through before I pick up an ereader. It will be nice to go abroad without the 10 lbs of books I've always felt compelled to take with me in the past. Thanks.
Honch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I know what you mean! I used to have half my suitcase filled with books! Now I have an mp3 player in one hand, my ereader in the other and a whole library of my choice.

As much as I love to read, I found I like being read to also, especially at times I can't pick up a book. When I go out to walk, I can go forever with a good book in my ears, driving, or waiting unexpectedly are less stressful. I LOVE Overdrive and all those free books!!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote