Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #31
Ridley
Ridley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch Edition
Maybe this is anecdotal, but I find the battery holds its charge longer when charged via an a/c adapter as opposed to the USB cable.

I also rock the 3rd party PSP adapter from a game store. The Sony branded one is a wicked ripoff.
Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #32
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I actually had to hit 3 stores (Walmart, Best Buy and finally Target) before I found a PSP charge that was not USB. $14 but it works like a charm. I was discussing this with a friend and it appears Sony uses this same charger for many of their electronic devices (from his old MiniDisc player to his camera). So it seems pretty handy to have.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #33
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Not sure about that - I have never installed the Library software and my reader charges just fine from the USB port on my laptop
I think it might have been true for the 500, but I don't think it's true for the 505 or later models, i.e. the Library s/w's no longer required to be installed.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #34
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Err... nothing (attempts and fails to smother smug look - sorry).

My 600 was the demo model from my local Borders - they gave me money off because it had been used as the demo, and threw in the mains charger they'd been using with it for nowt.

As it happens, it developed a battery problem, so they replaced it with a brand new one. So maybe it's my fault they're in trouble.

I thought that the Music Power thing and devises like that weren't supposed to work on a Sony Reader to charge it, that it just drains the battery instead of charging it.
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #35
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I wasn't aware that you could read it while plugged into the AC so that's useful.
You can also do the same with the PSP car charger. It's great for long car rides or days when you're on the road at work
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #36
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
I thought that the Music Power thing and devises like that weren't supposed to work on a Sony Reader to charge it, that it just drains the battery instead of charging it.
I've been using the MusicPower thing for a long time now to charge the reader, my phone, my bluetooth earphone, my iPod, and anything else I can find a tip for.

I've gotten Gomadic retractable cables and different tips to plug into everything. That way, everything fits into a small bag and when I travel I don't have to mess with half a suitcase worth of cords to charge everything. And I can charge 2 things at the same time.

I've never had a problem charging anything, including the 2 Readers I have.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:30 AM   #37
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Never had a single problem with my Sony since I got myself a mains charger. Using the USB I had nothing but hassle ... and I'm convinced it's all down to the fact that USB/PC charging doesn't do the job Sony claims it will. I also found that the full-charge shown in the battery level meter on the machine can't be relied upon as accurate after a USB 'charge'. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #38
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Mains charging with the PSP barrel-shaped charger is fine. But don't attempt to use a mini-usb connector and the mains. It's that which causes trouble.

Last edited by Patricia; 12-27-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote