Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
[SOLVED] Trying to identify illustrator

I am wondering if anyone can decipher or identify this artist's signature.

The book is "Over the Plum-Pudding" (1901) by John Kendrick Bangs.
S/He is not credited on the book's titlepage (it only says "illustrated").

The illustrations were taken from the magazine publication of the short stories collected in this book. I found a magazine archive of Harper's Round Table with a story illustrated by this person, but they don't credit the artist by name either.

I have been able to identify the other two artists appearing in the book, whose signatures are nicely legible (Gustave Verbeek and Charles Broughton).

If anyone can provide a clue, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknownIllustrator.png
Views:	286
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	169076  
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is the Berlin a place or the last name? If a place, is there a first name above the surname?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Berlin is the place.

No first name provided. Unless the first letter is some sort of portmanteau combination of first initial and first letter of last name, like a T and a J, maybe.

Attaching another image, and a larger piece of the first attachment, showing his drawing style. Rather Disney-esque...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	illusSample.png
Views:	268
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	169077   Click image for larger version

Name:	illusSample-2.png
Views:	261
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	169078  

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 01-14-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My best guess at the name is Teminger (The second picture seems to show that there's an 'i' in there).

But I can't locate an illustrator of that name.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Oh, dang it. Dirty fingernails! Snelfrocky!!! Spit!!!

I just found him, using Tineye.com, and I can't use him! (I should have searched the image first, instead of searching the signature.)

Creator(s): Feininger, Lyonel, 1871-1956, artist

This is really a downer. Just lost about 2/3 of the illustrations for that book.

And I never before saw an "F" that looked so much like a "J" or a "T"

Paul, if you would, tweak the thread title with a [Solved] prefix, thanks.
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well tracked down. Eight years until you can use his illustrations without permission in life+70.

According to Watch, his estate's representatives are The Artists' Rights Society

I've just read about him in Wikipedia. Wow, he became famous! Somehow I don't think you'd get permission to use anything for free.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

For sure not free. It really is a loss -- his pictures are the pick of the litter for the illustrated omnibus I am working on. (I feel sure he created them in color, and I crave to see the originals.)

Thanks much for the assist.
gG
Old 01-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I just found him, using Tineye.com, and I can't use him! (I should have searched the image first, instead of searching the signature.)

Creator(s): Feininger, Lyonel, 1871-1956, artist

This is really a downer. Just lost about 2/3 of the illustrations for that book.
May countries have Life+50, and many countries also have different terms for photographs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...yright_lengths

While you may not be able to post it with images on MobileRead because of Life+70, many other sites can benefit from your fantastic high-quality conversions (such as Project Gutenberg Canada—Life+50).

You could also create one version one without (MobileRead) and one with (elsewhere).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote