Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
3 strikes I'm Out

On 23 January 09 I purchased my 3rd E-book a Cybook Gen3 unfortunately yesterday it developed the same fault (a crazed screen) as my two previous purchases Sony 500 and Jetbook. After spending obscene amounts on shipping charges to return them, Sony did offer me a refund which I accepted. Jetbook claimed that the unit was broken when it arrived at there service centre, a dubious claim I might add given the amount of bubble wrap I used.
Am I just unlucky? or is the technology unstable, whatever, if Bookeen cannot or will not fix this one its a return to paperbacks for me. I shall miss you guys
Keith
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Khlong9.

I'm sure you be getting many opinions here shortly.

Lots of knowledgeable folks around.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Is it going through a lot of customs (I see you are in Thailand)?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

I had it delivered to my UK address when I was there in January
Keith
Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Broken screen substrates are caused by mechanical impact to the device. Sounds like it's getting "bashed around" somehow. That's very unfortunate - broken screens are rare; to suffer three of them is just awful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Perhaps they're not so rare then.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
You should review your reading habits. Where and how you read. Where do you keep the ereader. Do you take him with you on your daily activities? Where, in a bag? Does it have a cover? Are you the only one using the device?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Perhaps they're not so rare then.
Well, not for Keith unfortunately.

But if we are going to have one person's experiences serve as the standard, my use indicates a 0% chance of e-ink screen breakage.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlong9 View Post
On 23 January 09 I purchased my 3rd E-book a Cybook Gen3 unfortunately yesterday it developed the same fault (a crazed screen) as my two previous purchases Sony 500 and Jetbook. After spending obscene amounts on shipping charges to return them, Sony did offer me a refund which I accepted. Jetbook claimed that the unit was broken when it arrived at there service centre, a dubious claim I might add given the amount of bubble wrap I used.
Am I just unlucky? or is the technology unstable, whatever, if Bookeen cannot or will not fix this one its a return to paperbacks for me. I shall miss you guys
Keith

Seems like you're unlucky, unless you can indentify a common method of use that you have put all three of them too.

Dropping back to pbooks is NOT an excuse to not keep popping into MR....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You are either very unlucky, or there's something you're doing that is causing stress to the screens sufficient to break them.

Sometime this year, ebook readers with plastic screens should start appearing. These are much less likely to break than the current screen with a glass substrate. Perhaps you should wait for one of them.

Quote:
Keith
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Keith

Just because you won't currently have a dedicated ebook Reader doesn't mean you have to be a stranger!

You can visit and make comments and generally keep abreast of news and technology - all in one convenient place.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
kren
Connoisseur

I would like to thank all of you for your reply's I really appreciate it, and as they are all all of a similar theme it's got me thinking that it must be something that I am doing wrong. I'm certainly not dropping them, the only answer I've come up with so far is that often I wear trousers that have a large pocket in the leg just the right size to take a reader is it feasible that it could be banging against my leg when I walk? An occasional introspection can it seems be of value and with regard to my comments on leaving MR by your leave I wish to take them back as they were just a stupid display of my frustration
Keith
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Maybe it's not the banging against your leg, but some flexing it's being subjected to. Glass doesn't bend.

And -- even if you've given up on dedicated reading devices for a while, you can still hang around with us and chat about books and the evolving technology. Maybe a PDA-sized device would fit your usage a little bit better than the larger readers until such time as a plastic screen is available.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
kren
Connoisseur

Perhaps a PDA-sized device is good idea as I know absolutely nothing about them can you recommend one to me please
Keith
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Perhaps a PDA-sized device is good idea as I know absolutely nothing about them can you recommend one to me please
Keith
Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. I have a Blackberry -- older version -- which is also my phone. There are others here who have a lot more experience with PDA-type devices and smart phones. You might also check the Wiki to see if there's enough info there to help.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote