Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Griu
Enthusiast
Griu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One
Sleep screen black background

Hi,

I was wondering, Is there a way to have the background of the kobo on black when it's on sleep mode (and the cover is not set to full screen)?

What I'm looking for is to show the sleep screen with the same color as the Power Off screen.

I can send pictures later today if I'm not being clear on my question.

Thanks in advance.
Griu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
By default, no. Well, not unless you poweroff instead of standby...

Using mods, ScreenSaver would let you use custom images, which could be black if you like.

The nightmode also turns it [and everything else] black (but the poweroff might turn white, basically nightmode inverts everything).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Griu
Enthusiast
Griu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
By default, no.

Using mods, ScreenSaver would let you use custom images, which could be black if you like.

The nightmode also turns it [and everything else] black (but the poweroff might turn white, basically nightmode inverts everything).
Thank you.

I was looking for something that inverted the background on sleep mode (I don't really care much about power off mode) but I wanted to keep the stats so a fixed image won't help. Is there a way to use the night mode just on the Sleep screen? Will that also invert the images and book cover?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wanted to keep the stats so a fixed image won't help.
I never used those stats, what does it look like, is it a box of fixed size?

ScreenSaver does support transparency in the images it displays, so you could produce an image that is black except for that box region, the box itself would stay white then I guess. And you'd have to come up with a way to produce a working pattern for that stat screen, not sure if these stats cause the "Sleeping" message to appear in a different place, thus breaking the pattern ScreenSaver produces for the blank screen...

Otherwise I don't know of an existing mod for this, you have to create your own.

Inverting the screen shouldn't be too hard (it's a feature of the eink driver, just set inverted flag in the ioctl, that's what nightmode does). You'd have to find a way to fire it only when actually going to sleep, my ScreenSaver addon detects this in a roundabout way, there's another screensaver originally for the Glo which uses LD_PRELOAD hack same as nightmode.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Griu
Enthusiast

Quote:
I never used those stats, what does it look like, is it a box of fixed size?
With "stats" I meant the bottom part where it says how much is left to read and the read percentage.
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

So basically at the top center of screen it shows "Sleeping", then it shows the cover, and at the bottom it shows "12% read"?

That could work with my ScreenSaver mod, if you create & read a book with fully white cover, for its initial setup step where it's expecting a blank sleep screen. (You'd also need a book with fully black cover for the poweroff screen, or temporarily disable read progress show so it will be blank for poweroff, or edit the screensaver.cfg and add a fake poweroff= entry that will never fire).

And then you create a black PNG with transparent area for where the 12% read is gonna show up.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Griu
Enthusiast

Quote:
So basically at the top center of screen it shows "Sleeping", then it shows the cover, and at the bottom it shows "12% read"?

That could work with my ScreenSaver mod, if you create & read a book with fully white cover, for its initial setup step where it's expecting a blank sleep screen. And then you create a black PNG with transparent area for where the 12% read is gonna show up.
I was looking something more like the power off screen where the letters go white and the background black, and I still can see the book cover as usual

Your method seems fine but I'll have two white squares on the screen an I'd prefer for all to be black.

That's fine I'll just leave it the way it is. I just figured I'd ask here in case there was a way to do it.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

My theory above doesn't work so well anyways.

You'd just have to make your own mod for this.