Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
CGidari
CGidari began at the beginning.

Device: none
Keep words from splitting between lines

When I proof my ebook in ADE, I'm seeing certain long words at the end of a line being split and hyphenated between two lines.

For example, if the word serendipity was at the end of a line on the page, it would look like this:

blah blah blah seren-
dipity blah blah

Is there a command that I can put in the stylesheet to keep my words together and have the entire word drop to the next line instead, like this:

blah blah blah
serendipity blah
CGidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
These:

Code:
hyphens: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none ! important;
-moz-hyphens: none;
adobe-hyphenate: none;
And if you want to be really paranoid:

Code:
-o-hyphens: none;
-ms-hyphens: none;
Or disable full justification.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It is generally a good idea to add some of those to chapter titles and similar elements. At the very least, I'd add:

hyphens: none; (CSS3 code, should work with ePub 3 books ?)
adobe-hyphenate; (Adobe-specific, works with most ebook readers)

others are probably more specific to certain readers. Hopefully, browser-based readers will support (maybe in some future) the CSS3 way in addition to their own codes...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It is generally a good idea to add some of those to chapter titles and similar elements. At the very least, I'd add:

hyphens: none; (CSS3 code, should work with ePub 3 books ?)
adobe-hyphenate; (Adobe-specific, works with most ebook readers)

others are probably more specific to certain readers. Hopefully, browser-based readers will support (maybe in some future) the CSS3 way in addition to their own codes...
I definitely would recommend the webkit variant, at a minimum, because iBooks supports it, but at least as of iOS 6, WebKit doesn't yet support the non-vendor-prefixed hyphens property, so unless iBooks is doing some magic, it probably doesn't, either.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGidari View Post
When I proof my ebook in ADE, I'm seeing certain long words at the end of a line being split and hyphenated between two lines.

For example, if the word serendipity was at the end of a line on the page, it would look like this:

blah blah blah seren-
dipity blah blah

Is there a command that I can put in the stylesheet to keep my words together and have the entire word drop to the next line instead, like this:

blah blah blah
serendipity blah
I would recommend turning off hyphens for things like chapter headers. But do you really want to turn of hyphens in the main body text and cause more gaps?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert