Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #76
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
Thanks, but do you know this fix for a fact -- the B&N info that I found posted didn't seem to give any details on what the fixes were. Is there any documentation?

Also, the following posting seems to indicate that a problem still exists.
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...20712#U1420712
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #77
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkahn View Post
Thanks, but do you know this fix for a fact -- the B&N info that I found posted didn't seem to give any details on what the fixes were. Is there any documentation?

Also, the following posting seems to indicate that a problem still exists.
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...20712#U1420712
B&N rarely discloses what the updates are supposed to fix, or if they do, the list is never exhaustive. I know that the larger the SD card, the more potential shelf issues you can have. However, I am running a 32gig card with 20 shelves and have no issues.

Either way, having the occasional issue as opposed to knowing with full certainty that the shelves would disappear every time there was a hard reset is quite the step up.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #78
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I just upgraded my Touch to 1.2.1 and have not had any trouble with it. As members may know, I have an ill-behaving Touch which drains its battery in less than 4 days unless I reboot it after I charge it (there are several lengthy threads on this topic). So I can report that the upgrade to 1.2.1 does not alleviate that problem, but it doesn't hurt it either. I can still kill the battery drain by a simple reboot.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #79
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
It looks like 1.2.1 may have fixed the hyphenation problem finally.

Anybody still seeing it? I'll be happy when I can remove the 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' CSS from my books because that causes it's own problems.
I retract this. I found my original test epub and it's still broken.
Good news everybody!

While hyphenation in 1.2.1 is still broken (albeit not as often as before), I found that the default render engine now honors the css: 'adobe-hyphenate: none;'

That's better than 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' because it still uses the newer render engine which has fewer problems in other areas.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #80
succubus77
succubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic somethingsuccubus77 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I had 1.2.0 and had serious battery problems. It'd drain itself, with wifi off, in two or three days. I just installed 1.2.1 and we'll see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I can still kill the battery drain by a simple reboot.
Susaz, i've figured out that sometimes my nook drains itself so quickly after a firmware update. And I can confirm RAH is correct. Reboot your device, power it down and turn it back on. It should solve the problem.

Note: this is a very common problem found with Android devices, as Nook ST is an Android too. Actually the #1 rule to any device firmware updates: reboot.
succubus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #81
HThompson
HThompson began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I cannot get this update to happen, no matter what I try. I've got a brand new Simple Touch, registered, working. I downloaded nook_1_2_update.zip from B&N, copied it to the top of my nook, disconnected USB, waited. . . it goes to sleep. No sign of update happening, no reboot. Wake it up, check, version still shows as 1.2.0. Reconnect USB, file is gone!
In fact, file disappears as soon as I disconnect -- the storage used drops back to virtually 0. . . And yes, I am Ejecting before I disconnect . . .

Any suggestions?

Any chance they've reverted the file? I only see 8 files with write dates later than 2010 if I look inside the zip. Anyone can give me an md5 signature for the real 1.2.1 update? Or even just a length in bytes?

Thanks for any help!

ht
HThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #82
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm getting the same issue, its really strange, i don't get the vanishing file, unless it really is just the 1.2.0 that we already have.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #83
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The 1.2.1 download link at B&N seems to be incorrect.
The 1.2.1 filename was nook_1_2_update_1.zip.
The files that now gets downloaded seems to be 1.2.0.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The 1.2.1 download link at B&N seems to be incorrect.
The 1.2.1 filename was nook_1_2_update_1.zip.
The files that now gets downloaded seems to be 1.2.0.
Thanks, that would explain the disappearing file. I'll just leave mine on wifi as I plan to use it only at home anyway and see if it updates eventually.

Thanks again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #85
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Actually if you look at the build.prop file in the 1.2 file mentioned above as downloaded from bn.com it is 1.2.1 inside the file...
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #87
HThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Actually if you look at the build.prop file in the 1.2 file mentioned above as downloaded from bn.com it is 1.2.1 inside the file...
OK, so I see, but then why does the nook itself show 1.2.0 when I interrogate it?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #88
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HThompson View Post
OK, so I see, but then why does the nook itself show 1.2.0 when I interrogate it?
Did you download it from the correct site? It seems there is some small difference between US and UK versions and the device only "takes" the correct one.

UK: http://uk.nook.com/support/nook-simp...ftware-updates
USA: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...ouch/379003175

Last edited by Asawi; 05-13-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #89
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
There was a another discussion (Manual update of 1.2.1 for Nook Glow)
in this section where PDurrant was manually updating a ST glow

'No update happened, the file just got deleted. But adding in the file from the UK site is working. I now have a screen telling me the update is installing.

[Yes, that worked. Now at 1.2.1]'

This worked for me on my ST reader as well
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #90
HThompson

Yes! Thank you -- UK update worked for me

Tags
1.2.1, firmware, update