Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
It seems that almost all of the problems posted here can be traced back to "syncing" problems of one sort or another, the solution is... DON'T SYNC use simple drag-n-drop to load books, use your device to create collections/sort books and access library/stores/dropbox

is your books collection so complicated that you really need "tags" etc ???

THe internal memory can handle 2000+ books ... do you really need an sd card (except for backup)... if you keep it simple it's unlikely you will encounter most of the problems posted here
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
It seems that almost all of the problems posted here can be traced back to "syncing" problems of one sort or another, the solution is... DON'T SYNC use simple drag-n-drop to load books, use your device to create collections/sort books and access library/stores/dropbox

is your books collection so complicated that you really need "tags" etc ???

THe internal memory can handle 2000+ books ... do you really need an sd card (except for backup)... if you keep it simple it's unlikely you will encounter most of the problems posted here
Whilst it is likely that syncing is a cause of this problem as it often causes problems on other eReaders, it has nothing to do with wanting large quantities of books on an eReader and tagging is very useful when you just want to view items that a specific tag attracts.

There are many people who have complex collections (not being monomaniac about a certain genre/type to the exclusion of all others) with many differing types of books.

As for 2,000 books in IM so why an SD card... well, lots of people don't just regard the eReader as a portable books (or 2 etc) but as a portable library so that they can choose to read whatever attracts their fancy at that moment rather than having to decide in advance, what they are going to have with them... I've got nearly 25K of books, magazines and articles on my eReader and it works fine... for example, I love having a pocket library and it works perfectly... it also means that you can easily move your books from one reader to another with no problems...

Last edited by elcreative; 05-20-2012 at 08:42 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I have a T1 and I've noticed that in some of my collections there are what I guess you could call phantom placeholders with "removing" in them. Sometimes they count in the collection's book count, sometimes they don't. I've restarted my T1 and they are still there.

Here are some photos to show what I mean. Any ideas?

ETA: They show up in collections on both my SD card and the main memory.
I don't know why it's happened for combination T1 and Calibre. To delete 'removing', delete the collection within 'removing' from T1, after that resync with Calibre (twice), and the removing will gone.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Moongrave
Moongrave began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle View Post
When it happened to me, it was an issue in the books.db file on the storage card. (I don't store books on the internal memory.)

There's a table in the database called collections which stores the list of books in each collection. It turned out that for each book that was meant to be in the collection, there were two entries -- one had the correct ID for the book on the storage card (e.g. 4294967364), and the other was 2^32 less (e.g. 68). Deleting those incorrect entries (using SQLiteSpy or sqlite3 or similar) cleared up the collections.

I *think* the query I used to clean it up was:
Code:
DELETE FROM collections WHERE content_id NOT IN (select _id FROM books);
But it's not happening at the moment so I can't test. Next time I trip over it I'll take better notes. The idea is there though -- if a book doesn't exist, it shouldn't be in any collections.

I'm not sure whether the source of the problem is a Calibre bug or just Calibre tickling a bug in the T1; it hasn't bothered me enough to investigate more.
Downloaded SQLiteSpy, went through a bit of trial and error (I know absolutely nothing about SQL & Co), found out how to run the query mentioned above and ended up with clean collections where before I had about 20+ lines of "removing" per collection.

Yes, it is not a perfect solution but a fix that doesn't take too much time or effort.

Moongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moongrave View Post
Downloaded SQLiteSpy, went through a bit of trial and error (I know absolutely nothing about SQL & Co), found out how to run the query mentioned above and ended up with clean collections where before I had about 20+ lines of "removing" per collection.

Yes, it is not a perfect solution but a fix that doesn't take too much time or effort.

In the past I had found, as Sucah suggested, that just deleting the collection and resyncing got rid of them but a while back even that stopped working. Got so bad I just use the main memory as the moment I sync a book to the card I get a fleet of "removings...".

So, thanks to Tuttle and for your feedback I may give the SQL query a go - only dithering on that for my part because I assume it is not a one shot solution, adding further books to the card may again corrupt the collections.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Am now also just using the SQL query work around on the card books.db.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
Tuttle
Tuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTuttle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I assume it is not a one shot solution, adding further books to the card may again corrupt the collections.
It's certainly only a point-in-time fix that won't prevent it happening again. That said, it doesn't reoccur every time I plug in my reader either.

It would theoretically be possible to set up a trigger in the database to automatically clean up the collections table every time a row is added, but that could potentially slow down syncing a lot, depending on exactly how the collection management is implemented.
Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If I remember correctly what Kolenka (the calibre/PRST1 guru) said, the problem begins when you first use the SD card. The book ids in the books.db file on the SD card are supposed to be large numbers (10-digit) beginning with 4 and the internal memory book ids are low numbers starting at 0 (or 1???). The problem arises when books on the SD card are erroneously assigned a low number by the T1 and it then gets very confused.

If you can delete all the books on the SD card which have been assigned 'wrong' ids leaving at least one book with a 'correct' id then you should have no further problems as long as you don't delete the SD card books.db file.

However, I should say that I don't use an SD card so I haven't tested the above for myself.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
m4mmon
Enthusiast
m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: PB631, PB741, PB840
A solution to this might be in work, at least a reason has been found.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/986044
m4mmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If I remember correctly what Kolenka (the calibre/PRST1 guru) said, the problem begins when you first use the SD card. The book ids in the books.db file on the SD card are supposed to be large numbers (10-digit) beginning with 4 and the internal memory book ids are low numbers starting at 0 (or 1???). The problem arises when books on the SD card are erroneously assigned a low number by the T1 and it then gets very confused.

If you can delete all the books on the SD card which have been assigned 'wrong' ids leaving at least one book with a 'correct' id then you should have no further problems as long as you don't delete the SD card books.db file...
Hi Jackie - I was aware of Kolenka's post in the Calibre forum and you do remember the comment on ids correctly as they are on the memory and the card. But I don't think the getting to the 'correct" id solves the problem, well not for me anyway.

I have not tried to get to the bottom of the issue but for me the couple of times I have looked all the books are numbered correctly in both memories but some collections end up with books in them with correct book ids, correct collection_id, but with some non complying numbers in the content_id field which don't match a real book id.

Running the SQL query repairs that, of course, but my experience is that even if one does so or else sets up the card so that all ids on card and memory comply by deleting the books.db on both or reformating both to get a fresh start with complying ids, future adds of books to the card again results in corruption and the "Removing..." lines reappearing.

For myself, if I I tire of manually running the SQL query or no better fix appears I may just semi-automate the query with a batch file run from the desktop.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Hi Jackie - I was aware of Kolenka's post in the Calibre forum and you do remember the comment on ids correctly as they are on the memory and the card. But I don't think the getting to the 'correct" id solves the problem, well not for me anyway.
That's a pity. Thank's for letting me know, I'll continue NOT using an SD card.

The good news is that the bug link in the post before yours suggests the problem is actively being worked on and that a solution may be close
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #27
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura H20
so for a complete noob when it comes to the sql thingy.

how do i run that query?

is it just copy the text from the post into the sql program and then update the books db file?

i'm sick of reloading my entire library every time i want to add a book

thanks

Last edited by dillsandwitch; 06-03-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: dyslexia :x
dillsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsandwitch View Post
so for a complete noob when it comes to the sql thingy.

how do i run that query?

is it just copy the text from the post into the sql program and then update...
Yes that is it. In case instructions needed and assuming using SQLiteSpy on a PC -

- With USB cable connection to the T1 open books.db on the card (File>Open Database...)
- Copy the SQL query from Tuttle's post and paste it into the top right hand pane
- Execute the query (Execute>Execute SQL)

That is it done, all "Removing" lines should be removed from collections on the T1.

First time around save the query somewhere on your PC for future use (File>Save SQL As...) and next time just open it again (File>Open SQL...) and it will load into the top right pane again ready to be Executed.

After running the query, as best as I have seen all the books that have been loaded will remain on the T1 and will also be in their correct collections. So the records removed from books.db seem to be redundant and only serve to confuse the T1.

EDIT: I see in the bug reporting from Kolenka's since appeared post it is looking hopeful a fix for implementation in Calibre is close .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 06-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #29
mochaiso
mochaiso began at the beginning.

Thanks for this info. I got bit by it as well. Just wanted to point out that if you're running Linux you can install sqlite3 from your package manager, mount the SD card from the PRS-T1 or a separate card reader, navigate to the location of books.db in the terminal, execute "sqlite3 books.db", execute
Code:
DELETE FROM collections WHERE content_id NOT IN (select _id FROM books);
at the sqlite3 prompt, then ".quit" and you're finished.
mochaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #30
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura H20
Thanks AnotherCat I thought that was needed to be done but i didnt wanna screw it up and have to spend 2 hours reloading all my stuff.

does the query need to be done on both the books db, the internal memory or just the sd card one?
dillsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony, sony prs t1