Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
This method to side load works, but the icon resolution in the carousel was pretty bad... bad enough for me to uninstall the app.
It will vary, android apps aren't known for their pretty icon or UI that's for sure.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #47
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
This method to side load works, but the icon resolution in the carousel was pretty bad... bad enough for me to uninstall the app.
I'm getting that to with some Apps like Nook..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #48
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I'm getting that to with some Apps like Nook..
Yeah, and if anyone is curious I got the bad resolution from Facebook, Twitter, Tapatalk, and Flickr.
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #49
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
I noticed that too, but didn't care enough to uninstall - I figure it won't show up on the carousel all that often anyway unless I'm actually reading a book using the apps.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I noticed that too, but didn't care enough to uninstall - I figure it won't show up on the carousel all that often anyway unless I'm actually reading a book using the apps.
I don't like the carousel so I scroll past it to hide it.
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #51
RoverGal
RoverGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I can't get Calibre to recognize my Fire - any tips on how to correct that issue?

I tried emailing some books to my Fire - only one made it to the Fire - all three show up in my Kindle Archive, on amazon, but I can't get the other two to the Fire...
RoverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGal View Post
I can't get Calibre to recognize my Fire - any tips on how to correct that issue?

I tried emailing some books to my Fire - only one made it to the Fire - all three show up in my Kindle Archive, on amazon, but I can't get the other two to the Fire...
Yeah the Pdoc cloud doesn't work like Normal Kindles. It says this in the manual but you can go into MYK pdoc area and click send to my Fire and that works. My Fire has a separate address then my Kindles. I guess this is why. Makes extra work.

I'm not sure if it will work Calibre does it work with other Tablets?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #53
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGal View Post
Because the drivers are not out for it yet. This Friday's update will contain the drivers needed for the Fire, according to Kovid.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #54
jvoegele
jvoegele began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Now if you want to synch your personal docs you need that tag to be left in and you need to email the books to your Kindle not sideload via USB.
Hi, this information about the [PDOC] tag has been very helpful, but I don't quite understand the above statement. Can you clarify? Are there some sync features for personal docs that do not work for books? I would think that I'd want all my books to not have the [PDOC] tag, but perhaps I am misunderstanding.
jvoegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #55
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoegele View Post
Hi, this information about the [PDOC] tag has been very helpful, but I don't quite understand the above statement. Can you clarify? Are there some sync features for personal docs that do not work for books? I would think that I'd want all my books to not have the [PDOC] tag, but perhaps I am misunderstanding.
For K3s, K4s, and KFires, if you sideload books via USB, calibre server, etc., then those books will not have full Whispersync capability. At best they will sync only the farthest page read. Nor can these "personal documents" be archived.

For K3s and K4s only, if you send a book to your Kindle using the appropriate email address, then that personal document will be eligible to be archived and you can Whispersync farthest page read, highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc. At least this is true of mobi eBooks.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #56
jvoegele
jvoegele began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For K3s, K4s, and KFires, if you sideload books via USB, calibre server, etc., then those books will not have full Whispersync capability. At best they will sync only the farthest page read. Nor can these "personal documents" be archived.

For K3s and K4s only, if you send a book to your Kindle using the appropriate email address, then that personal document will be eligible to be archived and you can Whispersync farthest page read, highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc. At least this is true of mobi eBooks.
So if I understand you correctly, there is no way to have full Whispersync (including highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc.) for the Kindle Fire, except for books obtained directly from Amazon. Is that correct?

Sorry for being dense. I have lots of books purchased from third party sources that I want to load onto my new Fire and I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits of choosing to use the [PDOC] tag or not. So far, the benefit of not using the [PDOC] tag is that the books show up in the Books section of the Fire instead of the Docs section.
jvoegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoegele View Post
This was posted before we realize the Fire doesn't use the Personal Documents Cloud. Currently the only way to sync your sideloaded books it to remove that tag and make sure the KF sees it as a normal book.

The Personal Documents Cloud and sync works for the newer eInk Kindles only currently.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #58
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Even after I convert my books to MOBI in Calibre and take out the [PDOC] tag, they still all show up in my docs as opposed to my books on the Fire. Is there a way to see in the mobi file if that [PDOC] tag has been removed, outside of Calibre?
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This was posted before we realize the Fire doesn't use the Personal Documents Cloud. Currently the only way to sync your sideloaded books it to remove that tag and make sure the KF sees it as a normal book.

The Personal Documents Cloud and sync works for the newer eInk Kindles only currently.
Thanks for clarifying Blossom.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #60
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Even after I convert my books to MOBI in Calibre and take out the [PDOC] tag, they still all show up in my docs as opposed to my books on the Fire. Is there a way to see in the mobi file if that [PDOC] tag has been removed, outside of Calibre?
Did you take out the tag and then convert (again).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote