Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes you can sideload fonts they go in Mantano\Fonts folder. That's what I meant. The one I use on my K4 is the one I use on Mantano it's a modified version Amasis.

I have it but it makes everything too washed out in the dark Works fine in light but in the dark it messes with my eyes.
I loaded the modified Amasis you gave me and it does look great!

There are other apps like Screen Filter. Maybe one of them will work better for you.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

There are other apps like Screen Filter. Maybe one of them will work better for you.
Great! I've tried Dimmer (lite) and Dimmer so far and they don't work with the Fire. So any others one you know of please let me know.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Thanks I will just use Mantano for now. It has collections.
I hope they fix the brightness issue because I really like the Kindle Reader app minus it's lack of collections.
Speaking of Mantano, does the TTS feature work?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Speaking of Mantano, does the TTS feature work?
Not sure it needs that extra Speech framework doesn't it. How to sideload that I am not sure.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure it needs that extra Speech framework doesn't it. How to sideload that I am not sure.
Someone mentioned some other app—QuickOffice—that had TTS that worked on Fire. So I was hoping there's a system-level TTS engine in there somewhere (even if Kindle app doesn't know how to use it, and there's no way to install another engine). But it could just be bundled with the app.

Can you purchase SVOX from Appstore on the Fire? It is free, if that installs and runs, then I would recommend purchasing the SVOX 'Oliver' UK English voice for $2.99. Well, I'll certainly be trying that but am separated by 300 miles from my Fire at the moment.

If you are in read mode in Mantano, just tap to bring up the menus and click the TTS button. Does anything happen?
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Someone mentioned some other app—QuickOffice—that had TTS that worked on Fire. So I was hoping there's a system-level TTS engine in there somewhere (even if Kindle app doesn't know how to use it, and there's no way to install another engine). But it could just be bundled with the app.

Can you purchase SVOX from Appstore on the Fire? It is free, if that installs and runs, then I would recommend purchasing the SVOX 'Oliver' UK English voice for $2.99. Well, I'll certainly be trying that but am separated by 300 miles from my Fire at the moment.

If you are in read mode in Mantano, just tap to bring up the menus and click the TTS button. Does anything happen?
It works!!!! There is a built-in engine on the Fire. No extra files needed. Woot!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It works!!!! There is a built-in engine on the Fire. No extra files needed. Woot!
Woot indeed! That is great!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Woot indeed! That is great!
It's a woman's voice but it's alot better than the ones on the Market. It's not bad really. The one on my phone sounds like crud.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's a woman's voice but it's alot better than the ones on the Market. It's not bad really. The one on my phone sounds like crud.
Don't suppose you've poked around in Settings to see if there's anything in there about it.

On my Xoom (Android 3.2) it is under 'Language & input'. It came with 'Pico TTS' which I suspect is the same as what you're hearing. SVOX is much better if only it could be installed (it is in Amazon Appstore).
Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Don't suppose you've poked around in Settings to see if there's anything in there about it.

On my Xoom (Android 3.2) it is under 'Language & input'. It came with 'Pico TTS' which I suspect is the same as what you're hearing. SVOX is much better if only it could be installed (it is in Amazon Appstore).
No settings like that whatsoever. But the Svox in apps store has a check by the fire seeing it's free I will give it a shot.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No settings like that whatsoever. But the Svox in apps store has a check by the fire seeing it's free I will give it a shot.
Well, when they manage to figure out how to sell this outside of the US, maybe they'll have to turn on some 'language and input' options.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You have to purchase the voices, $2.99 each. But the app will let you sample the various voices and initiate purchase. I like 'Victoria' (UK English) if that is available. But I only see 3 voices in Amazon App store as separate listings (Grace, Michael, Oliver).

Last edited by tomsem; 11-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
You have to purchase the voices, $2.99 each. But the app will let you sample the various voices and initiate purchase.
Oh okay Let me see what I can do. My phone if nothing else needs better TTS.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #59
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Where does one find the modified Amasis?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #60
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Ive had my Fire for three days now and I may send it back.

1. I love the kindle book reading text and display. But because of the narrow sides while holding it the pages turn accidently way too often.
2. It is way to slippery for me to hold comfortably. Maybe a skin would help?
3. No support for AV enabled kindle books! WTF? Couldnt load 11/22/63!
4. No support for embeded pdf in my favorite e-edition newspaper. Wont display Houston Chronicle web edition either.
5. Web browser url entering and correcting a real PIA.
6. No page numbers!
7. Calibre wont recognize it when connected to usb.

Any suggestions, before I decide to return it?
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote