Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #31
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I heard one of these older women say she contemplated buying an ereader because she had heard you could download so many books for free. She apparently wasn't aware that there could be something wrong with downloading at least some of these books. (Actually in our country it is legal to download.)
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #32
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Goodness that makes me ancient or a living fossil, but i don't pirate e-books.
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #33
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I always wondered if that was a picture of you that you display. Now I know for certain it is .
If you're really curious, I have a celebrity doppelganger that I don't mind sharing While I no longer look quite like that, the resemblance was uncanny when I was her age (waaaay back before I was a granny)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
I heard one of these older women say she contemplated buying an ereader because she had heard you could download so many books for free. She apparently wasn't aware that there could be something wrong with downloading at least some of these books. (Actually in our country it is legal to download.)
I download plenty of free books, all legally offered for free. There's a difference between "downloading free ebooks" and "pirating".
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #34
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Lots of interesting commentary on this topic. I'm, um, way over 35. (Okay, I'm 50.) I'd definitely be considered an early tech adopter. Got my first ereader over a decade ago. Paid over $300 for an original Rocket eBook and had three different iterations of that over the years until getting my Nook (3g/Wifi) for my 50th birthday last summer. While there is a ton of free content available via completely legit sources, there's also plenty of ways to find the morally ambiguous stuff too. I found the Harry Potter stuff in PDF through an on-line "study" group. Perfectly rendered. I've spent cold hard cash for the hard cover versions, so I don't feel like I've hurt Jo Rowling's pocketbook any.

BTW, in a tangential discussion, my niece (age 20) called me yesterday looking for tech advice. She owns a Nook and is headed abroad for a semester of study. Wants a Kindle for easier access to materials. "Aunty, how can I move my Nook books to my new Kindle without having to pay for them all over again?" Trust me, I told her exactly how to do it. (And gave her the link to MobileRead!)
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #35
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Wow. I'm exactly old enough to be one of these "older women". Until now, that designation required the presence of a "younger man".

We swapped mix tapes all through school. We later traded VHS tapes of movies we recorded off of cable TV. We swapped books around. If we didn't have something, we probably knew someone who did. While I do think it's a stretch to extend this line of thinking to pirated ebooks, I can see some people making that leap of thought.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #36
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
We swapped mix tapes all through school. We later traded VHS tapes of movies we recorded off of cable TV. We swapped books around. If we didn't have something, we probably knew someone who did. While I do think it's a stretch to extend this line of thinking to pirated ebooks, I can see some people making that leap of thought.
Mix tapes? VHS? What are you talking about?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #37
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Really? I only know two people with digital copies, neither of them have the paper books. They both came late to the series and never bothered to buy the books, and neither one of them writes fanfic. Maybe they're unique, but I really doubt it.
I've noticed with my female friends - the first they do is ask me how do they pirate the latest chick-lit, I doubt it's for the purposes of an e-copy of a book they already own or for fan-fiction purposes...

I think sometimes people overplay the "well it's not available/they already own a copy" card - sometimes people pirate because they are too cheap to pay and because it's easy.

Last edited by cgk; 05-19-2011 at 03:14 PM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I fit into the "older woman" category, but I'm not a fan of piracy. This is mainly because you never know what you'll really get. I used to do a lot of Napstering, but the quality of most of the downloads were exceptionally poor. Now that it's easy - and cheap - to buy MP3s from Amazon, I'd much rather do that than bother looking for it free elsewhere.

Unless I were already familiar with a book, how would I know that the text even matches that title? I have a reasonable expectation of correctness when I purchase an ebook elsewhere, and with Amazon I can even get a refund if the formatting is poor.

I'll stick to buying my ebooks, or borrowing them from the library.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #39
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Still some years away from being an "older woman", but, yeah... I can think of a few reasons why people pirate.

I have a Kindle, but pay much more for Kindle e-books than people in the US. Not nearly all the books that are available to US buyers are available to me, and worst, I keep wanting to buy e-books... and then see that it's cheaper to buy the hardcover than the e-book! Get real...
I only want "officially" released books on my Kindle, but I'm assuming that doesn't count for everybody, and honestly, I cannot disagree with them.

Last edited by Dallista; 05-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #40
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
It's good that someone finally told me I'm an old woman. Here I was thinking I was still the cat's meow.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #41
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
sometimes some things are not about whether they are legal or not, but if they are ethical or not. that said, i find most have differing opinions of what is ethical, and it's rather stressful to keep thinking about others. i'm trying to stick to my own code and adhering to it, which is much harder than criticizing others (i'm not saying you are, but just that what you said made me think about it, that's all )
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 AM   #42
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
I've noticed with my female friends - the first they do is ask me how do they pirate the latest chick-lit, I doubt it's for the purposes of an e-copy of a book they already own or for fan-fiction purposes...

I think sometimes people overplay the "well it's not available/they already own a copy" card - sometimes people pirate because they are too cheap to pay and because it's easy.
yeah, and sometimes i just want to hear people say they pirate because they want to (IF that is truly the case), not offer some flimsy excuse in an effort to appear as if they respect the author's work

and even if they don't want to buy the book, there are other options. most of the groups i joined in GR have members who are very kind and willing to lend out kindle ebooks. i am very grateful to these generous people
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #43
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I download plenty of free books, all legally offered for free. There's a difference between "downloading free ebooks" and "pirating".
Of course there is a difference, but this thread is about piracy. The point was that apparently this woman was not aware of the difference.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #44
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Most 'older women' I know have always gotten their books from the library, still do. I've been e-reading for over 15 years off my computer. I have CDs that have thousands of books, most of which are public domain but I also have collections purchased on ebay that contained more current fair and many downloaded free 'for a limited time' ebooks. I have a huge selection of books that I may never read but were free and are in my library. I would never do this with paper books but digital books take up so little space.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #45
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Of course there is a difference, but this thread is about piracy. The point was that apparently this woman was not aware of the difference.
And whose fault is that, I wonder? (Thinking out loud here.)

Most people think "Google" when they want to search for something. Before I found Inkmesh, I was using Google to search for eBooks because the alternative was:

1. Check B&N.
2. Check Kobo.
3. Check Sony.
4. Check Amazon.
5. etc.

If you wake up one morning and think, "By god, I want me some 'Emma' ebook reading," you go to Google, plug in "Emma Jane Austen ebook", download one of the many free (legal) versions, and go your merry way.

If you wake up one morning and think, "By god, I want me some 'Scott Pilgrim' ebook reading," you go to Google, plug in "Scott Pilgrim ebook", and your first links are to download many free (illegal) versions.

*I* know they're illegal versions. *You* know they're illegal versions. Does ancient, elderly, out-of-touch, absolutely-frightened-by-technology-and-longs-for-her-childhood-of-butternchurns-and-petticoats 35-year-old grandmother () know the copies are illegal???

I can't say. I suspect they might not.

If publishers aren't going to make their books all available in ebook form (which is their right), then they need to spend money to educate the public how to tell a legal version from an illegal one. The differences aren't always obvious, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, Google is happily directing people to pirate sites (as it should - they shouldn't be filtering content results).

If a publisher owns a title that they don't want in ebook form, they need to google that title (plus the term 'ebook') and the first result in the search needs to be a notice explaining that this book isn't available for sale as an ebook and any copy online is a pirated one. Pay Google to make sure you're the Top Search Result, if necessary.

Don't want to spend money on your "You Can't Have Harry Potter So Nyah!" ad? Would rather sit around and whine that people are Googling your book and being directed to pirate sites and OH THE HUMANITY? Well, let me know hot that works out for you as a business strategy.

I'm not saying piracy is right or wrong, but I *can* imagine that not everyone understands automatically how all this works.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ages, ereaders, older, piracy, women