Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Upgrade to 7.x now??

I've been waiting for Calibre 7.x to mellow a bit before upgrading my Windows XP Pro with Sony 505.

Is now a good (read: safe) time/version to upgrade from 6.x to 7.x?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I've been waiting for Calibre 7.x to mellow a bit before upgrading my Windows XP Pro with Sony 505.
Is now a good (read: safe) time/version to upgrade from 6.x to 7.x?
Nothing in life is safe

If you are in no hurry, a few last known bugs will be ironed out in 0.7.3. Note that the version number in Calibre is not yet up to version 1 - it's still in version 0 and is very much an active work in progress, with changes being made almost every day.

That said, there is no reason to think you will be risking anything if you upgrade now. If you want any of the newer features, and there are a lot of them, I'd upgrade. You should always have a backup either way.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
If you are in no hurry, a few last known bugs will be ironed out in 0.7.3. Note that the version number in Calibre is not yet up to version 1 - it's still in version 0
S, Thanks for the reply!

Wouldn't a wait from 7.0 to 7.3 involve a long time?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
S, Thanks for the reply!

Wouldn't a wait from 7.0 to 7.3 involve a long time?
The current realise is 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 should be out in the next few days.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The current realise is 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 should be out in the next few days.
I, Do you concur that 7.3 should be a good version to upgrade to?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Well I'm running 0.7.2 with win xp pro sr3 & my lovely 505 and the only problem I've encountered is a very minor issue with multiple selection of metadata editing (fixed in 0.7.3). At worst, if you wait until 0.7.3 you'll only have to defer your gratification for a very few days!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I, Do you concur that 7.3 should be a good version to upgrade to?

Thanks!
0.7.3 will be out shortly, just wait for that then make the move.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
What would be the most compelling reasons to upgrade though?
I'm still using v0.6x, and am quite happy with it.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
What would be the most compelling reasons to upgrade though?
I'm still using v0.6x, and am quite happy with it.
As a rule of thumb if you're happy with the current version you're using there is no reason to upgrade.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
As a rule of thumb if you're happy with the current version you're using there is no reason to upgrade.
D, Thanks for that bit of wisdom.

I am a very basic Calibre user...only using Calibre to add books to my 505.

I may take your advice and just stick with 6.x (even though I normally prefer to stay up to date with software packages).