Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
orange583
orange583 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Using Amazon metadata to prioritize reading order. [idea]

Hello, this type of app probably doesn't exist.. and I'm not a programmer, but I'd like to describe it anyway to see what you guys think.

Right now I have a colossal ebook collection.. so much to the point now that I don't have a clue what's what aside from file names (consisting of title / author), and the subjects they're in (organized folders).

Ultimately, I just want some metadata on whats good and bad, and a brief summary of the book. That is, Amazon's wealth of reviews and book summaries. In particular, what I'm looking for, is an app that will fetch Amazon reviews/summary metadata, and is capable of using this data to generate "reports" (in .html, .doc formats) in certain ways...

The following are a few examples of reports which come to mind as useful for sorting through a colossal amount of books:

1.) Export a list of books according to subject, each book title with a brief summary beneath.
2.) Export all metadata of a given book from different sources (summaries, reviews, etc.)
3.) Export a list of books according to review rating / number of reviews, perhaps even narrowed down according to subject/author.
4.) Etc.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there, even though its a likely pipedream. IMO, this would be more useful than how current ebook managers organize things, at least when it comes to figuring out future books to be read.

(Actually I don't even want an ebook manager as they exist, organizing by folder is perfectly fine for me.. I just wish there were an easier way of generating reports for deciding what my "ideal reading order" should be.) (Also, having the reports saved in common file formats would eliminate the need to rely on always having yet another application open, which would be a big plus as well.)
orange583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre can do all that
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
orange583

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre can do all that
Are you kidding me? Exporting summaries and reviews into book lists and all that? I thought it only showed summary metadata and was unable to compile lists like I described. ARGH. Thanks, I'll try it out again.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the arrow next to the convert button and select create catalogs. You can use that to create a catalog in CSV/XML/EPUB/MOBI format with the reviews/ratings downloaded from amazon. And you canuse the search feature to select only a subset of books that belong to a particular tag/genre etc.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
orange583

Ah thanks for the detailed instructions. You the man!
Advert