Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
maria23
maria23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Problem with Firmware Upgrade

When upgrading my 5" EZ Reader Pocket PRO to the latest available firmware, the reader doesn't reboot after the upgrade has been done. Only a blank screen is being displayed. It's not charging and not responding at all. I've encountered the SAME problem while upgrading the firmware back in September and I had to send it back to Astak to get it repaired. They sent me back the same reader with the latest firmware installed. But now again, I'm having the same issue while upgrading it. Had anybody else encountered the same issue with his/her reader?

PS: It looks like something's wrong with the reader as it stopped working when I tried to upgrade it's firmware.
maria23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Do a "reset" by poking the reset button on the back of the reader with a paperclip, small nail, or whatever fits in there. That will, hopefully, bring your reader back to life.

Also, make sure your reader is well charged--I thought I "bricked" it when it behaved the same way as yours after I did the upgrade. But once I reset it, and put it into "charge" mode with the wall charger, it seemed to behave normally. And now that it's been fully charged I've experienced no other similar problems.

Good luck!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
maria23

I've already reset it but that didn't work. The screen remains blank and when I try to charge it, nothing appears on it (even the light doesn't flash, it stays orange) which makes me think that the reader isn't charging.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
hi,
have you tried taking the battery out. waiting 1 minute. but it back in, hit reset, plug into the wall, wait 5 minutes to see if it's taking a charge, then try to turn on?

not my experience with the PDA, but with MP4 etc... sometimes.

good luck.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria23 View Post
I've already reset it but that didn't work. The screen remains blank and when I try to charge it, nothing appears on it (even the light doesn't flash, it stays orange) which makes me think that the reader isn't charging.
You are using the supplied wall adapter? Try a computer mounted USB port to rule out adapter problems.

Detach power cord
Unseat the Battery plug (under the cover)
Wait 30 seconds for things inside to discharge
Seat the Battery plug
Attach power cord.
You should see the red amber green progression.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you have somehow uploaded a bad copy of the firmware you should remove the battery, insert and SD card with a new firmware copy and then how the button down while turning the power on. to force a new update. If the battery is drained completely then the suggestion from cancelx is a good one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
maria23

Thanks for the replies. I've tried all the proposed solutions but none worked, unfortunately. :/ I have two batteries and I've tried upgrading with both of them but failed.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
You can call Tech Support!!

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I've tried all the proposed solutions but none worked, unfortunately. :/ I have two batteries and I've tried upgrading with both of them but failed.
Dear Maria:

This is very strange. You can send an email to: support@astak.com or call (tollfree) to: 1-866-368-8788 during 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. M-F PDT!!

Let us help you!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
maria23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Maria:

This is very strange. You can send an email to: support@astak.com or call (tollfree) to: 1-866-368-8788 during 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. M-F PDT!!

Let us help you!!
As you said, it is very strange as the reader freezes each time I want to perform a firmware upgrade. I've already contacted Elliot and followed all the instructions he has given but unfortunately my reader is still not working
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
How did you reset the reader? Did you hold in the reset button for about 10 seconds, then (still with the reset button pressed) hit the power on button (then discontinue pressing the reset)? The reset button doesn't work like in some devices where a quick press solves the problem.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
maria23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
How did you reset the reader? Did you hold in the reset button for about 10 seconds, then (still with the reset button pressed) hit the power on button (then discontinue pressing the reset)? The reset button doesn't work like in some devices where a quick press solves the problem.
Yeah, I did the reset in the same way you stated in your post. When I reset it and hit the power on button, it gives the impression as if it was gonna switch on but after some seconds, the screen remains blank and the light stays orange.
I've also tried to re-install the firmware several times again, it says that the update has been completed and to press any key to reboot (light turns green). After having pressed "any key", the reader gets stuck while booting up and the light turns orange and doesn't flash/blink at all.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Hi Maria,

Sorry if this has already been covered by others - but have you tried going back to the previous version? Also - there's a thread here that suggests that the formatting on the SD card (whether its FAT 16 vs. FAT 32) makes a difference.

Hopefully Astak support can help you, as we aren't doing so well as yet!!!

Good luck!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Yeah, I did the reset in the same way you stated in your post. When I reset it and hit the power on button, it gives the impression as if it was gonna switch on but after some seconds, the screen remains blank and the light stays orange.
I've also tried to re-install the firmware several times again, it says that the update has been completed and to press any key to reboot (light turns green). After having pressed "any key", the reader gets stuck while booting up and the light turns orange and doesn't flash/blink at all.
My system just froze for the first time in ages. After the usual attempts, I took it out of the folder, and took a large paperclip end and gently pushed the reset button. It worked OK. I didn't have to push the on/off button at all.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post

Where did you get that info? I have only ever used a quick press of the reset button. Not saying you are wrong, but I suspect from what you wrote that there may be different levels of reset.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Where did you get that info? I have only ever used a quick press of the reset button. Not saying you are wrong, but I suspect from what you wrote that there may be different levels of reset.
Well I had my unit lock up hard early on (me playing around with different formats etc). The reset method suggested on the EZReader FAQ (press for 2 seconds, called a soft-reset) didn't work. The method I suggested I found out from the Bebook Mini manual, and I did read it on a website a similar suggestion (could have been here, or bebook forum, or even someones review of the Hanlin V5).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote