Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Hello ekaser: that's not what we intended. We had agreed with RobertB that Pilotbob would do a news and front-page post as soon as the new devices had actually started shipping. That due to happen in a day or two.
Okay, that's cool. I HOPED that what Zelda had written was just "coming across wrong." Stand down.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
Okay, that's cool. I HOPED that what Zelda had written was just "coming across wrong." Stand down.
ekaser, I am sorry you misunderstood me. And thank you, Patricia, for clarifying the question. Please re-read my post though ; I didn't say that astak news doesn't belong in the news forum. In fact we had already offered, as I mentioned, to put a news item on the front page as soon as they start shipping. This was offered *before* Robertb posted his thread. I simply said that the thread Robertb posted, about *pending* shipping plans, is not really news, and therefore does not belong in the news forum, as I'm sure you can understand. Particularly in light of the plan (which, as I mentioned, Robertb knew already) to post the news on the front page, once they actually do start shipping. I think we can all agree that will be real news.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that we've seen many announcements of things that are coming soon and that's all we've heard. Nothing after that. It's not that we don't trust, it's that we'd rather wait until the Pocket PRO are really shipping in case for some reason they don't ship on time. Look at Bookeen (for example). They've been saying soon with new firmware updates and yet nothing. So publishing what might or might not be happening as news is not a good idea. When it's really happening, then it's good to be news. Also, it means that other tech sites might pick up the news and run with it and if for some reason you had to be delayed, you would not look silly.
Dear JS:

You and Zelda and others make sense. I know all of you mean well so I will take it that way.

I will post in the Astak Designated Forum WHEN we start shipping and hope Pilot Bob or some moderator takes it to the NEWS area. I normally deal with Dale DePriest but know he is on a trip.

I will abide by the rules!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did not mean to offend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Also, having a representative of the Astak company posting the "potential" shipment of the self described "most powerful 5 inch" out there is just tasteless.

I know it has left a bad taste in my mouth concerning the Astak devices.
Dear Donnageddon:

I am sorry if you took it wrong. It really is the most powerful 5 inch and by any yardstick it measures up. And, I do not look at a shipment that is going out in 3 working days as "potential"... I feel that it is definite enough! I really have a high degree of confidence in that.

Regarding "powerful"... the processor is 400MHz and the controller is Epson. You may not be aware yet about that story. Before the Epson, 5 years ago, there was no installed base of eBook Readers... so PVI (the panel makers) went around and asked all the controller companies to design a controller and they would not. PVI had to design their own. So, the Epson is really the first controller that is specifically designed for eBook Readers. A controller goes into the memory and finds what you need. The Epson controller is far faster at this. That is most powerful. It was not a boast... it was fact!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Also, having a representative of the Astak company posting the "potential" shipment of the self described "most powerful 5 inch" out there is just tasteless.

I know it has left a bad taste in my mouth concerning the Astak devices.
Yes, the way this company representative is pushy and frankly dissing sony & kindle was reason enough for me not to ever consider one. If I wanted this design and I considered it, I was going to go with the Bebook instead.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Regarding "powerful"... the processor is 400MHz and the controller is Epson. You may not be aware yet about that story. Before the Epson, 5 years ago, there was no installed base of eBook Readers... so PVI (the panel makers) went around and asked all the controller companies to design a controller and they would not. PVI had to design their own. So, the Epson is really the first controller that is specifically designed for eBook Readers. A controller goes into the memory and finds what you need. The Epson controller is far faster at this. That is most powerful. It was not a boast... it was fact!
Yes, it is true, the epson controller is fast. However the Hanlin devices are not the only ones using it. A quick look in the Wiki at the E-book_Reader_Matrix turns up :
5" : Hanvon, AzBooka,
6" : Sony, Kindle, Pocketbook, and Txtr.
There may be more which I don't know about.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
Robertb

Thumbs up Problem is over

Dear All:

I have already said that I now understand and am pleased to abide by the rules of MR Forum. I appreciate those who straightened me out AND those who rose to defend me. However, I (me, myself, and I) made a big deal out of this and I regret it.

Please... let us get back to relishing the fact that the Pocket PRO is finally about to ship and that MR is a great vehicle and has rules I was not aware of. I learned and I now know. Let's put out all fires, hold a party burning the barricades, and get on with the fact that a damned good device is coming to market and will be shipping!!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #23
Robertb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Yes, the way this company representative is pushy and frankly dissing sony & kindle was reason enough for me not to ever consider one. If I wanted this design and I considered it, I was going to go with the Bebook instead.
Dear Lisread:

I never dissed Sony and Kindle. They are great devices, just huge. IF you do not want this design... do not read about it and do not buy it. Nobody is forcing you. I think you are mistaken and well-intentioned, but at least I am here to accept the criticism as well as the praise.

The BeBook is a great device! You will give up USA support and warranty and the colors... but that is about it. I am pleased that you like the BeBook.

You call this being pushy?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #24
Robertb

I have never said that we had exclusivity with the Epson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Yes, it is true, the epson controller is fast. However the Hanlin devices are not the only ones using it. A quick look in the Wiki at the E-book_Reader_Matrix turns up :
5" : Hanvon, AzBooka,
6" : Sony, Kindle, Pocketbook, and Txtr.
There may be more which I don't know about.
Look, this is the Astak Designated Forum. I do not think we need to plug other devices. The fact is the Pocket PRO has the Epson and the 400MHz processor working in tandem in a FIVE inch device.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Look, this is the Astak Designated Forum. I do not think we need to plug other devices. The fact is the Pocket PRO has the Epson and the 400MHz processor working in tandem in a FIVE inch device.
I am not expecting you to plug other devices, however MobileRead owes it to all our readers to give accurate information. People come here to learn about the various devices available. It's misleading to say that the Astak is "the most powerful" because it uses the epson controller, if it is not the only device using that.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
This may be the Astak forum, but it's hosted on the mobileread site, which is about ebooks and ebook readers in general - it's not about about product promotion. In every one of the device forums there are people explaining and comparing to other devices, as a tool to inform others. This is NOT an advertising site but an informational one.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #27
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
This may be the Astak forum, but it's hosted on the mobileread site, which is about ebooks and ebook readers in general - it's not about about product promotion. In every one of the device forums there are people explaining and comparing to other devices, as a tool to inform others. This is NOT an advertising site but an informational one.
Riste, I agree but I remember some very dogmatic statements in favor of some devices. I'll not call names but the posts were almost catching fire. Of course, they were posted by just normal folks who owned and loved their device, as I do mine (all of them). I don't remember any "official" objections and, in fact, was beat up (verbably) by other posters for even objecting to them myself.

I think we all have very strong opinions on the subject, even company reps.

Last edited by slayda; 08-28-2009 at 04:27 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Riste, I agree but I remember some very dogmatic statements in favor of some devices. I'll not call names but the posts were almost catching fire. Of course, they were posted by just normal folks who owned and loved their device, as I do mine (all of them). I don't remember any "official" objections and, in fact, was beat up (verbably) by other posters for even objecting to them myself.

I think we all have very strong opinions on the subject, even company reps.
Oh, I agree - and I think the forum is richer for the people who love (or hate!) their devices! I don't mind RobertB talking about how much he loves the Astak readers (particularly on a personal, rather than professional level) - I just don't want balance distorted. I think the one thing that he needed to be more careful of is any potentially denigrating talk of competitor devices - just as a mark of professionalism.

As strictly consumers, most of us have a bit more freedom on that front - as long as we're bashing devices and not their owners
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #29
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Oh, I agree - and I think the forum is richer for the people who love (or hate!) their devices! I don't mind RobertB talking about how much he loves the Astak readers (particularly on a personal, rather than professional level) - I just don't want balance distorted. I think the one thing that he needed to be more careful of is any potentially denigrating talk of competitor devices - just as a mark of professionalism.

As strictly consumers, most of us have a bit more freedom on that front - as long as we're bashing devices and not their owners
Agreed. Only device I still bash is the Sony PRS-500 which was a pretty good device except, IMO, Sony abandoned it and left us first buyers hanging. But that problem has been solved for me since I no longer own it.

I do think that Robert forgets that MR is an international BLOG and that there are other Hanlin clones available in other parts of our world. However, that said, I'm glad that there is now a US company carrying that general set of readers.

I think that the reason Sony & Kindle are on the MR front page more than any other is that there are more media types who are willing to mention the big name companies (maybe just because they are not aware of the others). That is lamentable and omits a lot of very good reading devices. It's just another example of "The rich get richer ...l"
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Your CyBook is stoopid. and You're stoopid!

Gee, that brings me back to 3rd grade, and memories of me crying in the corner...
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote