Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It should, let me test that to be sure.
Thank you.

If it works, I'll be making a Times New Roman that's not Times New Roman.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if I was to put a version of Charis SIL that I called Times New Roman in the fonts directory, would it work? All this Kindle has installed is USE_ALT_FONT.
Quote:
It should, let me test that to be sure.
Ok, works just fine. This is a screenshot of a font-locked book that assigns Times New Roman in its stylesheet. I made a copy of Seagram and assigned this to it: family: Times New Roman, style: Regular, name: Times New Roman Regular.

After restart and opening the book, it needed to set to the new Times New Roman font once, and after that it was locked in the new as seen in the screenshot. Note that the font is changed to Palatino, but locked to the newly created Times New Roman.

Update: Very interesting side-note. The Book that I used, even though assigns Times New Roman in its stylesheet, it does NOT default to and lock into Caecilia Regular, but to a san-serif font. Creating fake Times New Roman did change the font it finally ends up beeing locked into. My example from earlier about defaulting to Caecilia Regular only applies to situations where a non-font-locked book is concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timesnewroman.png
Views:	314
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	101688  

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-21-2013 at 08:43 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is very interesting. Thank you for the testing and the information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is very interesting. Thank you for the testing and the information.
You are welcome. And thank you for asking in the first place, it gave me a lot of insight myself.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
What I can tell from reading the config files is this:
<snip>
Thanks for the run-through!

Very interesting stuff!

(For now I haven't bothered to set up my own fall-back 'Times New Roman', but instead run it through Calibre. But it's good to know how it works.)
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Amazon offered a refund! Not bad - but I stick by my 1-star review, as the books are broken.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
This seems to be an issue with KF8 ebooks on the Paperwhite. I've ran into the exact same problem with "Times New Roman" being defined using an inline style on virtually every html element. This seems to prevent the user from changing to any other font. Any user agent, whether it be a web browser, ebook reader, etc., shouldn't behave that way; the user should always be able to select their preferred font.....
I don't believe it was the publisher's intention to lock the ebook to a specific font. Properly made ebooks with embedded fonts do not behave this way.
Was the publisher a known brand, or could this have been an author-publisher's work?

That TNR was specified throughout makes me think that it was auto-converted from a Word doc.

Thanks - NJ
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That TNR was specified throughout makes me think that it was auto-converted from a Word doc.

Thanks - NJ
Provided that you use Styles in Word, rather than explicitly setting the paragraph font, Word does a reasonable job when you export as "Web Page (Filtered)".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite, publisher font