Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #976
Oatse
Oatse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 model d00901
Thanks for the debricking guide, I just have a quick question my kindle is bricked and shows up as SE blank ringo when plugged in.
Now the big problem is that when charging from a wall socket it just stops charging after an hour or at least the light goes out, and when connected to the pc the device disappears after a minute.
Does it need a new battery or is the USB connecter damaged?
Oatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #977
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
I'm just thinking, as I have a laptop hosting PCLinuxOS. Wouldn't be simpler to do the whole debricking in Linux? I have to admit that I'm pretty illiterate in Linux and I'm half way through the debricking process on my Win7 already. I'm stuck in diags as stated in my post above. I'm going to post some screen shots later to be better understood.

Also, as I already flashed diags partition and diags and main kernel. Do I need to flash them again or can I skip this and pick up where I've dropped?
You're actually at least 80% through, so it doesn't really make sense to switch to Linux now. All that you have left to figure out is how to statically assign the IP address to the network adapter. Just systematically go through all of the tabs and "Advanced..." buttons, and you'll find it.

About your second question: think about it. You've already flashed (written) the required kernels and partitions, and nothing overwrote them since then. Why would you have to write them again?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #978
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatse View Post
Thanks for the debricking guide, I just have a quick question my kindle is bricked and shows up as SE blank ringo when plugged in.
Now the big problem is that when charging from a wall socket it just stops charging after an hour or at least the light goes out, and when connected to the pc the device disappears after a minute.
Does it need a new battery or is the USB connecter damaged?
What does the first post in this thread say about charging the battery, right at the top in bold red text?

The K3 identifies as "SE Blank Ringo" when it is USB Downloader mode. The USB drive is not exported. Read about k3flasher, linked from the first post. The power LED color cannot be trusted to indicate battery charging status on a bricked kindle.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #979
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You're actually at least 80% through...
At least something positive

The issue is perhaps that the device in my machine is called "USB Ethernet/RNDIS" whereas in silvers guide it is LinuxUSB Ethernet/RNDIS??
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #980
Oatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
What does the first post in this thread say about charging the battery, right at the top in bold red text?

The K3 identifies as "SE Blank Ringo" when it is USB Downloader mode. The USB drive is not exported. Read about k3flasher, linked from the first post. The power LED color cannot be trusted to indicate battery charging status on a bricked kindle.
I did follow the advice and left it charging off a wall socket overnight. It has been 2 days since I left it charging then I attempted the method in this guide
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk
it got as far the mx 35 device appearing but then it just disappears as I try step16
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #981
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Step 17 says to wait up to 4 hours for it to complete. If your battery is too old to hold enough energy to power your kindle that long during the power-hungry firmware flashing process, you may need to use a newer (healthier) battery to debrick it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #982
Oatse

that's all I wanted to know, thank you for your time
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #983
WhiteDwarf72

As promised I post some screen shots:

and

Can somebody help?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #984
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+static+ip
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #985
WhiteDwarf72

Big thank you ixtab, I've learn something new. Although I done as instructed I can't establish stable connection with PuTTY. When I run PuTTY the command window pops up but it is inactive and aftre couple of seconds I receive message "connection timed out"...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #986
WhiteDwarf72

Ok. forget the last post I figured out what was wrong.

Now another problem PuTTY says "...no such file or directory" and I double checked the spelling of the command.

Question: At the step where I suppose to copy the main partition into Kindle device should I copy this file to a specific folder or just to the device as to external storage device???
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #987
ixtab
(offline)

Copy it to the root directory of the Kindle's USB drive when attached to the computer, i.e., not into any subdirectory.

And double- and triple-check that the file you're trying to write is a) the correct one for your device, and b) that you're spelling its name correctly in the dd command. You can get a list of all files on the usb partition by issuing the command "ls -la /mnt/us/" in the terminal you opened with putty.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #988
WhiteDwarf72

Ok. I understand the root directory is just Kindle device. I didn't copy the partition into any subfolder. So I copied it to root directory I suppose?

OK my partition file name is mmcblk0p1.img.img

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #989
WhiteDwarf72

SWEET SUCCESS

Thanks to geekamaster for thoughtfulness,

to ixtab for helpfulness

and to silver18 for the "not so noob" guide.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #990
Rakku
Rakku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I'm having a wonderful time trying to unbrick my Kindle 3G with the keyboard. My original Kindle was replaced under warranty after I (not very cunningly) dropped it and smashed the screen. The replacement worked for just over a month, and now I'm out of the warranty period.

Not long after a "Your Kindle is Updated" notification, I noticed that the Kindle would increasingly not wake up from the standby screen (slide switch to wake) and I'd have to hold the sliding power switch to reset it. Later on, it began to freeze on the main menu before you could get into a book. It's now been stuck on the main book selection screen for hours. When connected to a pc it comes up as "SE Blank RINGO", and disconnects/reconnects fairly regularly, or when you slide the power switch.

I have installed the libusb-win32 drivers successfully, albeit on Win7 64 bit. It's version 1.2.6.0, which claims to support 64 bit. "SE Blank RINGO" says it is working properly on Device Manager. I have charged the Kindle using first the original charger, then a 2.5A iPad usb charger, and charged the Kindle for a day. The amber light does go out, but there is no green light when you slide the power switch.

I have run MfgTool, but no entries appear on the list to apply any further options. So here I am stuck. I'm fairly sure an update has gone wrong, so I believe this Kindle can be unbricked. I am fairly technical, but I am having trouble understanding how to proceed from here.

Is anyone able to advise out there on how to proceed? I'm off to Africa on the 20th January for over 2 months, so I'm very keen to get it working again!

Many thanks;

Graeme
Rakku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking