Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #331
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
I have upgrade my DXG to 3.2.1, but got one issue. When I read mobi file and use the joystick to move the cursor to a word for meanings (showing at the top or bottom), it is generally slower than 2.5.8 and it crashes every time with a period of time. The symptom is that it freezes up and then re-boots by itself. It is a very annoying issue. Do any other people have the same issue?
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #332
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
I have upgrade my DXG to 3.2.1, but got one issue. When I read mobi file and use the joystick to move the cursor to a word for meanings (showing at the top or bottom), it is generally slower than 2.5.8 and it crashes every time with a period of time. The symptom is that it freezes up and then re-boots by itself. It is a very annoying issue. Do any other people have the same issue?
i just tried this and can confirm that i don't have this problem. in fact i find the cursor movement and highlighting slightly more responsive on 3.2.1.

could it be an issue with one book?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #333
ukhant
ukhant began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Hi,

I had partial success, updated because i have a kindle DX US and iam not living in US. Changing date and time was primary motivation (i read on K3 this can be done in setting--> menu) and i tried usbNetworking which has never worked. So i upgraded and all went well except my registration is now gone, i have made a backup using step 1 in readme, if i restore will my device config including registration be restored too ??

Is there anyway ( i tried usbnetworking again and it doesnt work) for me to change date and register in 3.2.1. without wireless

Last edited by ukhant; 09-01-2011 at 08:05 AM.
ukhant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #334
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi, before i do an upgrade for my DXG I have two questions:
1. Are my books (both purchased from Amazon and personal documents) still on the device after the upgrade or does the kindle a complete factory reset?
2. Is the registration still activated after the upgrade or do i have to register again?
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #335
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili View Post
Hi, before i do an upgrade for my DXG I have two questions:
1. Are my books (both purchased from Amazon and personal documents) still on the device after the upgrade or does the kindle a complete factory reset?
2. Is the registration still activated after the upgrade or do i have to register again?
yes, all your books and content remains in place. your collections will even re-populated themselves after the update.

i never had any issues with registration, everything worked as before. can you explain what you mean exactly?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #336
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

ok, when everything is working as before, i´m happy. thx for your answer.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #337
ukhant
ukhant began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhant View Post
Hi,

I had partial success, updated because i have a kindle DX US and iam not living in US. Changing date and time was primary motivation (i read on K3 this can be done in setting--> menu) and i tried usbNetworking which has never worked. So i upgraded and all went well except my registration is now gone, i have made a backup using step 1 in readme, if i restore will my device config including registration be restored too ??

Is there anyway ( i tried usbnetworking again and it doesnt work) for me to change date and register in 3.2.1. without wireless
Anyone ?
ukhant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #338
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
It seems to be inconsistent. The reader seems to be fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
i just tried this and can confirm that i don't have this problem. in fact i find the cursor movement and highlighting slightly more responsive on 3.2.1.

could it be an issue with one book?
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #339
aeed0101
aeed0101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhant View Post
Anyone ?
Hi.
Follow the instructions provided here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87686

Use this version of the reginfo update (0.6 stripped to contain only files relevant to your model Kindle DX US):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1V4LICCT
aeed0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #340
shikuru
shikuru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I just want to write a quick follow up on my problems updating my Kindle DX graphite. It turns out the Updates Provider patch had done some damage of my Kindle, that the uninstall script did not fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikuru View Post
From the log:
Code:
system: E _otaupexec:def:signature verification failed on "09/update-09-495460008-550650009.bin"
Namely, the updates-provider patch had left a hack-certificate on the device that its uninstall script did not remove. So I installed usbNetwork, SSHed into the device and deleted the certificate. After that, I could update from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8.

On 2.5.8 I had to jailbreak again. The newest version of it that was released recently for 3.2.1 and is supposed to work on all Kindles did NOT work on this DX. I used the 0.7-N instead which worked just fine. From then on, everything was a breeze. The prepare-update script worked fine after the jailbreak, and the 3.2.1 update installed just fine. I do have the 20-30 seconds wake-up issue, but that isn't too bad for me. The page flips seem way faster.

All in all, many thanks to yifanlu for the great work!!!
shikuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #341
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
What i suggest is some kind of dual-boot for both 2.5.8 and 3.x in the same machine. Like Duokan or something like Duokan-lite which is launched from launch-pad. I know access to FAT is slow, but sometimes i want to play some of the kindle games and i don't want to turn back to 2.5.8 just for this.
I'd like to share some experience about this topic.
Chroot to a 3.2.1 system on my DXG with 2.5.8 firmware.
  1. Using yifanlu's bin creator to create the bin and use kindle firmware update tool to extract rootfs.img. (I used the piratebay bittorrent version for experiment.)
  2. copy rootfs.img to /mnt/us
  3. mkdir -p /mnt/k3 && mount -o loop /mnt/us/rootfs.img /mnt/k3
  4. /etc/init.d/framework stop
  5. pmon stop all # wait a while for
  6. /etc/init.d/pmond stop
    /etc/init.d/lipc-daemon stop
    /etc/init.d/dbus stop
  7. for x in /var /dev /proc /mnt/rwfs /mnt/us /mnt/base-us /dev/pts /dev/shm /sys /var/local
    do
    mount -o $x /mnt/k3/$x
    done
  8. chroot /mnt/k3
  9. ldconfig
  10. ln -sf /etc/kdb /etc/kdb.src/mario
  11. start daemons in /etc/rc5.d one by one
    (I skip guidinit, jailbreak and wifi stuffs)
  12. I modfied /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh to ensure it will never reboot the kindle.
It takes awhile to start up the GUI framework. TTS does not work. Browser, shop, pdf reader seem working but not very smoothly. Probably because the rootfs.img from piratebay is created by earlier version of k3 updater and I didn't apply many of yifanlu's patches.
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #342
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It sounds promising. I am nearly sure amazon will never update the kindle dxg firmware again but they will probably update kindle 3 firmware. So any way to run another firmware on our kindle DXG will help us then i guess.

The amazing part on running 3.2.1 on kindle dxg is the overall response of the kindle DXG increases. The device seems way faster. Amazon is such a bullshitter about the lack of hardware in kindle DXG in contrast to kindle 3 prevents the firmware update.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #343
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

It turns out the active content issue is caused by that firmware contains only k3 hardware configuration and does not to recognise other devices.

Here is a method to run active contents on 3.2.1 firmware.
Code:
unzip k3's KindleDeviceServicesShasta-1.0.jar
unzip DXG's KindleDeviceServicesTN-1.0.jar (TN means TuringNell)
cp dxg/res/* k3/res/
cp dxg/...../capability/DeviceCapabilityAdapterImpl$1.class to k3/../capability
cp dxg/...../hardware/*.keyboard.json k3/...../hardware
Now is the most technical part of this patch.
find the string A3P5ROKL5A1OLE in binary file
com/amazon/kindle/kindlet/internal/portability/b/d.class
replace it with the device type number of your device
for example:
miranda(DXG):A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
(I don't know a good way to find out this number of your device, but
see /var/log/messages or google "Device Type (device_compatibility_browse)" may help)
then overwrite the shasta keyboard json file by the json file of your device.
for example, DXG users should cp miranda.keyboard.json shasta.keyboard.json
finally,
zip back the k3 jar files and find a way to replace the jar file on your kindle.

Every Word and KindleNote are tested and work fine on my DXG (with a chroot 3.2.1 framework).
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #344
TJW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
Now is the most technical part of this patch.
find the string A3P5ROKL5A1OLE in binary file
I copy-paste the wrong device type number.
I meant find any string start with A3 or A1.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #345
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
Every Word and KindleNote are tested and work fine on my DXG (with a chroot 3.2.1 framework).
Good news, thanks for all your efforts.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote